Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do teams beat the Rockets?

There is a way to have success against them.

In a playoff series you attack them on offense. Run screens constantly and make them work on the defensive end. Hopefully as the series goes on they lose their legs effecting their jump shooting. Also hard fouls. You gotta punish jump shooting teams physically.

You need a great defense and be able to attack their weaknesses when they're on defense. Houston still have their weaknesses on the defensive end.

In a playoff series, things slow down, legs get tired, plays become harder to execute. No way I'm trying to out gun a team like Houston or Golden State knowing you don't possess the firepower they have. Use your strength against their weakness.

Last edited:
In a playoff series you attack them on offense. Run screens constantly and make them work on the defensive end. Hopefully as the series goes on they lose their legs effecting their jump shooting. Also hard fouls. You gotta punish jump shooting teams physically.

Believe it or not the rockets really not just a jump shooting team. They top 5 in points in the paint.

They shoot a lot of 3's because they shoot damn near zero mid range shotsView media item 2349041

Meh, Dipo's splits with Russ off court have been pretty bad and he isn't a good enough ballhandler or creator to be backup point (low AST % last I checked). We need a real backup PG. Of course, Russ is going to play 40 mpg in the playoffs, but the dropoff going to the bench is so hard we have routinely seen Russ come out at the 3:00 mark in the 1st with an 8 pt lead, come back in at the 10:00 mark of the 2nd down 10. Semaj is Kendrick Perkins all over again.
At this point you have to have a trade off somewhere. You acquired some nice pieces and are relatively deep. You're going to have a hole somewhere but yeah it's kind of scary that your back up PG is randomly Semaj. I'd take the Payne for Gibson/Doug trade though and take my chances. I'd also take my chances with Vic off the bench

You have to have a great defense and be able to attack their weaknesses when they're on defense. Houston still have their weaknesses on the defensive end.

In a playoff series, things slow down, ;legs get tired, plays become harder to execute. No way I'm trying to out gun a team like Houston or Golden State knowing you don't possess the firepower they have. Use your strength against their weakness.
in terms of firepower... houston, warriors, and cavs stand alone. More than half the team on the floor can kill you from 3 at any given moment. I remember when they said kd was coming and i just imagined draymond bringing up the ball with kd on one wing, klay on the other, and steph running around like a free safety. Exactly how are you supposed to deny ALL of them a shot?

Houston and Cavs have a pick your poison situation as well. And lebron himself is right on the cusp of becoming a "cant leave him open at the 3" shooter.

Meh, Dipo's splits with Russ off court have been pretty bad and he isn't a good enough ballhandler or creator to be backup point (low AST % last I checked). We need a real backup PG. Of course, Russ is going to play 40 mpg in the playoffs, but the dropoff going to the bench is so hard we have routinely seen Russ come out at the 3:00 mark in the 1st with an 8 pt lead, come back in at the 10:00 mark of the 2nd down 10. Semaj is Kendrick Perkins all over again.
At this point you have to have a trade off somewhere. You acquired some nice pieces and are relatively deep. You're going to have a hole somewhere but yeah it's kind of scary that your back up PG is randomly Semaj. I'd take the Payne for Gibson/Doug trade though and take my chances. I'd also take my chances with Vic off the bench

I mean we signed Ronnie Price at the beginning of the year, gave him guaranteed money, then cut him, and signed Semaj, one of #WashedPresti's many headscratching moves. I mean, a Norris Cole, Mario Chalmers, Nate Robinson, Jordan Farmar, etc. whoever is out there will do. Just don't come in and be the worst player in the entire NBA in many 10 minutes a game. Get the ball up the court and pass to Kantner or now McBuckets off screens and maybe some pnr with Taj, find Abrines for 3, don't get scored on every play down, don't turn the ball over every possession.

He is the worst player in the whole NBA, not going to get it done.

I'd take Derek #MrStealYoGurl Fisher again for the 19th time before playing Semaj. Hell, give BUC EM a 10 day

Last edited:
forget focusing on defense, you need to outscore them. only teams that has that type of offensive attack are the warriors and maybe the cavs, spurs

You don't beat a team by playing their game. Never understood why people say this.

those teams dont have to do anything out of the norm. they already play great defense, their offense allows them to come back from 10+ defecits when rockets go on the runs. most teams just panic when teams like rockets, w's, etc go on a mini run.

@FisolaNYDN:
Lot of chatter around NBA that the Knicks might also release Derrick Rose. Would Phil really do that? Clearly, he's not afraid to be fired.

RHibZ2I.gif

Last edited:
If Phil really wanted to infuriate people, he'd release Rose after March 1 so he would be ineligible for the playoffs.

http://dailyknicks.com/2017/01/17/new-york-knicks-brandon-jennings-frustrated-rotations/

New York Knicks head coach Jeff Hornacek has been experimenting with rotations. Sixth man Brandon Jennings is frustrated by the constant changes.

Any time a team plays as inconsistently as the New York Knicks have in 2016-17, severe changes are going to occur. It certainly doesn’t help that injuries have played as much of a role in the Knicks’ shortcomings as any other factor.

Though it’s understandable for head coach Jeff Hornacek to experiment with his rotations, the players are understandably frustrated.

Kristaps Porzingis has missed six games with a sore achilles tendon and Lance Thomas recently suffered a fractured orbital bone. Perhaps more importantly, the Knicks are 2-11 over the course of the past 13 games.

According to Ian Begley of ESPN New York, sixth man Brandon Jennings is frustrated and confused by the consistent changes to the rotation.

“Yeah, when you come in here you don’t really know what’s going to happen, so it’s kind of no consistency and it’s really tough right now,” he said. “Right now, you come in here you don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m struggling. It’s difficult for me, because I don’t really know what’s going on. Just take it one day at a time.”
One could argue that Jennings should compartmentalize and internalize those complaints, but his evaluation is reasonable.

In 42 appearances, Jennings is averaging 8.3 points, 4.9 assists, 2.7 rebounds, 0.9 steals, and 1.1 3-point field goals made in 23.4 minutes per game. He’s doing so on a slash line of .393/.321/.765 and is committing 2.0 turnovers per contest.

Those season averages translate to marks of 12.8 points, 7.5 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.4 steals, and 1.7 3-point field goals made per 36 minutes.

Unfortunately, Jennings has been one of the players whose playing time has fluctuated in recent weeks.

Over the course of the past 10 games, Jennings has seven games with at least 20 minutes played and three below it. He’s been limited in key games, including the losses to the Chicago Bulls and Milwaukee Bucks.

Jennings maintained his stance that the Knicks can do something special, but the inconsistency in the rotation has left him frustrated.

“We could be doing something special here. Losing games like this really hurts,” he said. “But like I said, you really never know what’s going to happen each game.”
The first sentence is what’s most frustrating about the Knicks’ inconsistency.

One can’t help but hope that Jennings’ morale will improve. Between Dec. 31 and Jan. 11, Jennings played in seven games and averaged 13.3 points, 3.9 assists, 2.3 rebounds, and 2.0 3-point field goals made in 23.0 minutes per game on a slash line of .522/.452/.600.

Over the course of the past three games, however, Jennings is averaging 5.3 points and 3.0 assists in 19.4 minutes on a slash line of .250/.182/.857.

As the Knicks attempt to stabilize the season, addressing team morale will be a top priority.

Last edited:
@atranstaI think he's down for Donovan, so he's down for whatever Donovan writes. He speaks really highly of him. As mentioned 6th man in OKC is much different than 6 in Orlando, when all those youth are making names for themselves, I could see that accepting a bench role is like admitting defeat

To the Houston and their 3's and if they're falling: Yes they're unstoppable then. Even more so than GSW because they believe that 100% of their shots should be 3's or layups. Like there is no convincing them to take any other shot, and the charts show this. If it's a wide open 14footer, they will make another pass or reset 99.9% of the time.

Last edited:
Big stretch coming up

5 of the next 7

@LAC
MEM
@SAS
UTA
CLE
Did you see that link I posted last night that had all the West remaining schedule and strength of? Rockets was really really really really tough compared to the rest of the West, and toughest of all 30 teams (and it was by a long shot)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom