Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

I'm not a Melo basher at all, but to me, and it is just me, I think he is content, or at least he comes across as being content with wherever the team ends up. He's happy with with the gold medals and the all star appearances. I dig Melo, ever since his rookie year, but this is who he is. He could've forced his way to more stable teams, but he chose NY. He had to have known at the time what he was getting himself into. And as far as the quote he had earlier "when we win it's us...." or whatever bs he said, well no %^*$ Sherlock, he isn't any different from any other superstar in the league, win the team wins the team won, when the team loses you lost, it wasn't any different for any other premiere player. Ever. This is what he asked for, so I don't feel sorry for him, come to think of it, @&$! Melo.

Last edited:
You really don't get it?  You don't see the flaws in his game and leadership compared to his contemporaries?  You think it's all just bad luck?

I get it. His contemporaries also didn't have J.R. Smith as their second option for most of his career.

Report: Scout says Knicks overstressing Kristaps Porzingis’ growing body

Kristaps Porzingis has missed the Knicks’ last three games.

In the New York spotlight, that invites urgent reaction.

Marc Berman of the New York Post:

With Kristaps Porzingis developing Achilles soreness last week, one NBA scout with European connections believes Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek is overextending the 21-year-old Latvian, saying, “It’s worrisome.’’

“He’s just turned 21,’’ said the NBA scout, who has worked for multiple teams. “They’re draining Kristaps, putting more minutes on him than anyone. Physically he grew in the offseason. It’s a tremendous amount of strain on new material — ligaments, tendons, knee joints for a big guy. It’s unbelievable stress on his body.’’

“At this stage, they’re asking for it,’’ the scout said. “They’re shooting themselves in the foot. The problem is Jeff has to win and has to go with everything he’s got to win.’’

Does this scout have specific insight into Porzingis’ health? Or is the scout just making assumptions from afar? The possibility of the former makes this intriguing, though there’s no evidence provided of that – just his position inside the league.

Porzingis is averaging 34.8 minutes per game, up from 28.4 last season, when he hit a wall late in the year. Maybe this is too much too soon. Karl-Anthony Towns is the only other player so young playing so many minutes per game this season, and Towns, also a second-year player, entered the NBA more physically developed.

But Giannis Antetokounmpo and Andrew Wiggins also did it last season, and both were also growing into their bodies. Antetokounmpo is having a breakout year, and Wiggins remains healthy.

There’s no catch-all formula that applies to every player.

Porzingis is particularly tricky, because he’s already the Knicks’ best player on a team – with Joakim Noah, Derrick Rose and Courtney Lee – built to win on Carmelo Anthony‘s timeline. This isn’t a Hornacek thing. Teams win by using their best players more.

Hornacek is showing concern for Porzingis’ health. At least that’s the favorable reading of Hornacek refusing to play Porzingis at center – Porzingis’ best position, but also the one that takes the greatest physical toll.

The Knicks should be mindful of long-term injury to their franchise player. But they should also be mindful of winning, and a heavy load for Porzingis is their best chance of accomplishing that. I don’t envy them having to find the right balance.

the venom for Melo has never come from any personality or character issues. Hes a family man who does a lot for the community.

NOONE is taking that away from him. Props to dude. alot of people should follow in his footsteps.

What I criticize and hold against him is the FACT that his energy, especially defensively, is lacking. His intensity is lacking. His basketball IQ is lacking. He has a unique way of disrupting his team's offensive rhythm, and a slight mental midgetry when it comes to making the right play. This dude clapped Thabo for no apparent reason. IDC what was said, you dont put your hands on anyone in the basketball court. You let your teammates down.

For someone who was never "a vocal leader", you damn sure better let your game speak.

and How many times do we see him jogging up the court ? Not getting back defensively just to show the ref his headband has been displaced? Pouting when things dont go his way?

Anyone remember Melo on the bench in LA last year during a timeout? complete and utter disrespect to Rambis. and yeah hes a sorry coach but hes not the only person you play for. you play for your teammates! and far too often, it's always been "me".

If youre not gonna lead the team vocally, then effort has to be there. Accountability has to be there, including for himself. Support has to be there. ON THE COURT.

All those things do not pass the eyetest. That is the criticism of Melo.

Chris Paul is a loser too. but if you question his leadership and willingness to compete, you dont watch basketball.

Show a casual ball fan tapes of all the premier ballers in the league and ask them who looks the least engaged. Can you name any other player in the league of Melo's caliber who's desire to compete is constantly questioned? Seriously. and it cant just be NY media's fault. If theres smoke, sometimes theres fires.

Anyways, Lets go knicks. We need this W more than anything. For revenge and to break this slump.

Last edited:
Speaking of clapping Thabo, Melo made a move and backed off, just like he stole on dude when the Knicks/Nuggets scuffle broke out, and Melo got his shot in and next thing you know Melo had dipped damn near to the other side of the court.

the venom for Melo has never come from any personality or character issues. Hes a family man who does a lot for the community.

NOONE is taking that away from him. Props to dude. alot of people should follow in his footsteps.

What I criticize and hold against him is the FACT that his energy, especially defensively, is lacking. His intensity is lacking. His basketball IQ is lacking. He has a unique way of disrupting his team's offensive rhythm, and a slight mental midgetry when it comes to making the right play. This dude clapped Thabo for no apparent reason. IDC what was said, you dont put your hands on anyone in the basketball court. You let your teammates down.

For someone who was never "a vocal leader", you damn sure better let your game speak.

and How many times do we see him jogging up the court ? Not getting back defensively just to show the ref his headband has been displaced? Pouting when things dont go his way?

Anyone remember Melo on the bench in LA last year during a timeout? complete and utter disrespect to Rambis. and yeah hes a sorry coach but hes not the only person you play for. you play for your teammates! and far too often, it's always been "me".

If youre not gonna lead the team vocally, then effort has to be there. Accountability has to be there, including for himself. Support has to be there. ON THE COURT.

Chris Paul is a loser too. but if you question his leadership and willingness to compete, you dont watch basketball.

Show a casual ball fan tapes of all the premier ballers in the league and ask them who looks the least engaged. Can you name any other player in the league of Melo's caliber who's desire to compete is constantly questioned? Seriously. and it cant just be NY media's fault. If theres smoke, sometimes theres fires.

Anyways, Lets go knicks. We need this W more than anything. For revenge and to break this slump.
Repped.  Yeah, you got it all.  Melo is a good dude of the court though.

Great thoughts. I agree w/ this. Hold this rep

On paper that team wasn't good at all. :lol:

Difference was that team played for each other as a team. Everyone gave 100% effort every night. The veterans kept everyone in the locker room in check.

And we haven't had that since. I think this team on paper is the most talented since then but we don't have that leadership.

On paper that team wasn't good at all. :lol:

Difference was that team played for each other as a team. Everyone gave 100% effort every night. The veterans kept everyone in the locker room in check.

And we haven't had that since. I think this team on paper is the most talented since then but we don't have that leadership.

Pretty much. Remember, Jason Kidd was the leader of that roster. I rock w/ Melo, but I do call a spade, a spade.

the one thing i really don't get is why CP3 doesn't get half of the hate that Melo gets. he's another very popular player that has achieved nothing.
I guess because he's been a much better player than Melo.  But I agree with you that he deserves criticism and his attitude is a problem for that team with all of the whining, etc.  On the court he doesn't present the same issues as Melo though.
If that was the case why didn't he go to brooklyn then?

Pretty much. Remember, Jason Kidd was the leader of that roster. I rock w/ Melo, but I do call a spade, a spade.

Bingo. Melo is one of the purest scorers of his generation. He is not a vocal leader. So why not search out supporting players that could supplement that? Was there not a difference when Kidd was orchestrating the offense as opposed to someone giving Melo the ball and getting out of the way? We won 54 games with a trash roster because we had a few guys providing leadership and direction. Am I crazy?

We went from the veteran leadership of Kidd, Sheed, Kmart and KT, to trading a first rounder for He who shall forever remain nameless all in one season

that bargs trade will never be forgotten... 1 trade that kinda annoyed me was getting rid of hardaway jr for grant whos a decent player but not better

Besides from lucking into Porzingis, Phil's best move in three years now has been signing Brandon Jennings.

Literally, aside from maybe Kyle O'Quinn, every other deal/signing has been trash or we've gotten the worse of the deal.

Back
Top Bottom