Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

Carmelo is staying. Teams don't want him that bad that they are willing to give up assets for him. He's an older player putting up numbers on a bad team. That's what everyone sees.

You guys will get fleeced if you manage a trade. Knicks seem desperate to get rid of him and everyone sees it.

Most agreeable you've ever posted in here

-____-

Melo off the bench for warriors would be unreal. not thinking he's going to go there at all, but i was just thinking about different scenarios.

Boston would be dumb to trade picks and young talent. Why not hang in there now being middle of the pack and relevant and groom young studs for when LeBron retires and the east can be yours?

Rose has value. There's gonna be a team looking to make a push who would want to dump salary for him or look to add a playoff piece.

Melo off the bench for warriors would be unreal. not thinking he's going to go there at all, but i was just thinking about different scenarios.
lol the Warriors don't want Melo's no-passing a**

This was posted on Reddit by someone and I 100% agree (outside of Hinkie being better than any GM):

"This is the part where Hinkie > everyGM.

Carmelo is a toxic asset. He cannot just be moved to any franchise because of his NTC. He creates 'bad' wins when your primary goal is a young drafted prospect. And he has a player option and a guaranteed year for two more declining years.

It doesn't matter at all if all you get is a 2021 Pick + Austin + Jamal.

Because Austin is good enough to be your starting combo guard you can now trade Courtney Lee to a real contender. On his $10M deal he's an easy 3+D guy that can be moved for another 1st. Maybe the Hawks who actually have a number of picks can trade one for Dunleavy and Humphries for example.

And then you just keep going down the line.
  • Waive Derick Rose, Sasha, Crawford and Brandon Jennings
  • Trade Lance Thomas for a couple of 2nd Rounders
  • Hold on to KOQ and Kuz until the deals get better
  • Don't touch Willy or Kristaps, and don't give up assets to get rid of Jokim's contract. He's your vet taking up cap space until the rebuild is complete. If he wants out, he can negotiate a buyout that gets rid of lots of guaranteed money.
Then rebuild around 2017 + 2018 1st round picks. Use your unused cap space to take on bad deals for picks. And then once Kristaps is re-signed to a bigger deal start looking for Free Agents."

Basically, it is actually better to lose Melo for "nothing".

Last edited:

This was posted on Reddit by someone and I 100% agree (outside of Hinkie being better than any GM):

Carmelo is a toxic asset. He cannot just be moved to any franchise because of his NTC. He creates 'bad' wins when your primary goal is a young drafted prospect. And he has a player option and a guaranteed year for two more declining years.

Because Austin is good enough to be your starting combo guard you can now trade Courtney Lee to a real contender. On his $10M deal he's an easy 3+D guy that can be moved for another 1st. Maybe the Hawks who actually have a number of picks can trade one for Dunleavy and Humphries for example.

• Don't touch Willy or Kristaps, and don't give up assets to get rid of Jokim's contract. He's your vet taking up cap space until the rebuild is complete. If he wants out, he can negotiate a buyout that gets rid of lots of guaranteed money.
Then rebuild around 2017 + 2018 1st round picks. Use your unused cap space to take on bad deals for picks. And then once Kristaps is re-signed to a bigger deal start looking for Free Agents."

the problem with all of this is that we have Phil. he's not going to do any of that and Melo will be traded or bought out before any of that happens.

the problem with all of this is that we have Phil. he's not going to do any of that and Melo will be traded or bought out before any of that happens.
And also the city/Dolan probably would not allow the team to tank and holds on so tightly to those bad wins to the point where fans talk about the 2012-2013 season as some type of high water mark to aspire to, even though the team was essentially non-competitive in the playoffs.

Need to build for actual championship contention.

And also the city/Dolan probably would not allow the team to tank and holds on so tightly to those bad wins to the point where fans talk about the 2012-2013 season as some type of high water mark to aspire to, even though the team was essentially non-competitive in the playoffs.

Need to build for actual championship contention.

Despite their playoff futility that 12-13 team was the best we had in a long *** team. It was nice to have a decent team. :lol:

Despite their playoff futility that 12-13 team was the best we had in a long *** team. It was nice to have a decent team.
laugh.gif
I agree and I totally get it.  I might not be a Knicks fan per-say but I am a New Yorker and have lots of friends who are dedicated fans...  I'm just so frustrated with this franchise.  How they always seem to be willing to gamble everything to achieve short-term low-level success.  And so many fans are okay with it and sucked in again and again.  It's amazing how over a decade plus with multiple GMs they managed to take the same approach.  

The one time they truly decided to start over under Donnie Walsh it actually worked out really well, and they were a young team on the rise with a lot of assets—but they acted too impulsively/impatiently and did the whole thing over again.   Now again the Knicks have a great opportunity with Porzingis to build around if they can just be patient and not waste their assets on short-term fixes.  No more big money for washed up former stars, please!!  No more trading draft picks.  Can you imagine how %*$%^$ lit NYC would be if they were in the position Philly is, right now?

Very generous rating for Melo

Someone show that to the rest of the league so we get a lottery pick for him

We have seen zero flashes from KP to show us that he can be a #1 option.

That clippers trade would set us back 10 years. We need a top 5 pick this year. Not in 2023 for some 8th grader. Next years draft is beyond weak too.

Last edited:
I'm all for a real rebuild, but not under Phil. For something that takes creativity, flexibility and efficiency, I've seen none. I mean for years he tried to force an outdated playing style on us even though he isn't the coach.

That's the thing picks sound lovely all the time, but there's a reason why it's usually the same teams in the lottery year after year. Another thing people don't take into account is just how profitable for the BUSINESS of the knicks having a Superstar player is. Melo regardless of what the Knicks are doing record wise is a great ambassador for the team & is still one of the more popular players in the League. I think that also plays a part in the Knicks not wanting to let him go for next to nothing.

I do agree with them letting go of Rose & trading Lee, but i think they should hold Melo until the Draft FA and allow more situations to open up.

Those teams in the lottery year in and year out almost never land a top 5 pick.

Look at the Kings draft process for example. They hired a bunch of interns, analytic people, etc and ended up drafting Stauskas. That scouting is beyond terrible. In the last 10 years they had 2 top 5 picks (Cousins and Tyreke Evans). Everyone else they drafted outside the top 5 is a role player at best.

Last edited:
Those teams in the lottery year in and year out almost never land a top 5 pick.

Look at the Kings draft process for example. They hired a bunch of interns, analytic people, etc and ended up drafting Stauskas. That scouting is beyond terrible. In the last 10 years they had 2 top 5 picks (Cousins and Tyreke Evans). Everyone else they drafted outside the top 5 is a role player at best.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This is how bad its become, Celtics told Knicks they arent intrested in Melo
This is not how bad it's become or new. Many teams wouldn't have even done a similar trade that we did to get Melo. Why should a team like the Celts go for Melo now? That would be a Knicks move.

Any time that would actually need Melo for that bump to the next level aren't willing to gut their team to do it.

I don't see Melo gone before the deadline. If he is it will be a deal that doesn't do a lot of good for either team unless Phil manages to bamboozle several teams.

Yall did a good job getting to this point though. This whole trade Melo ****nseems so forced. Better off just watching the Knicks struggle.

Back
Top Bottom