OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s have some off-season talk:

First-time head coaches at P5 jobs - “recipe for disaster” or “value buy if you’re willing to ride out the growing pains?”

What are examples of first time head coaches who worked out where they were? Obviously Kirby just won a title, Jimbo got one in 2013, and Chip Kelly and Lincoln had massive success without the national championship at their first spots. Then you have guys like Helton and Helfrich who won a ton initially before flaming out embarrassingly.

Is the cautionary narrative about hiring first time guys over blown? Off the top I feel like the 1st time HCs who win tend to be the guys who are carry overs from the previous regime, but that perception may be skewed.

Nolan Smith makes it official, he will be back next year. Also, looks like JT Daniels is likely to transfer.

Screenshot_20220117-125610.png

First-time head coaches at P5 jobs - “recipe for disaster” or “value buy if you’re willing to ride out the growing pains?”

What are examples of first time head coaches who worked out where they were? Obviously Kirby just won a title, Jimbo got one in 2013, and Chip Kelly and Lincoln had massive success without the national championship at their first spots. Then you have guys like Helton and Helfrich who won a ton initially before flaming out embarrassingly.

Is the cautionary narrative about hiring first time guys over blown? Off the top I feel like the 1st time HCs who win tend to be the guys who are carry overs from the previous regime, but that perception may be skewed.

I think it depends on the circumstance where the coach is hired. In the examples you gave, they weren't total rebuilds. Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley were both trusted assistants from the prior regime so all they needed to do was keep the train on the track. This is why I believe Marcus Freeman will be successful at Notre Dame, he doesn't really have to build anything.

Mark Richt laid a very solid foundation for Kirby So all he needed to do was make a small leap from a consistent top 10-15 program to a top 5 program. Even in Mark Richt last year, he still went 10-3

I would be wary of hiring a first-time head coach in a total rebuild situation. As a first time head coach, there is so much more to manage than there is as a coordinator. That in and of itself is enough to handle, much less walking into a top 25 job with all those expectations. Expectations. This is why you see most top programs go for a successful head coach at a lower level as opposed to a first time head coach.

Last edited:

4C157B3B-7A3E-47BA-91C0-EE0D7DC66705.jpeg

DLK takes his first portal transfer ever. DLK can't be very good at math though. In the DLK can't be very good at math though. The last two seasons Clemson has lost 19 players to the portal and only taken one so far. Not to mention Clemson has only signed 12 players in their 2022 recruiting class. I'm not sure how they plan on fielding a team

Who did JT get passed up by this time? :lol:

It's just an unfortunate situation. I was very critical of Kirby for continuing to start Stetson over JT but I kind of get it. JT is just injury prone. He missed the entire 2019 season, he missed two-thirds of the 2020 season and apparently he had an oblique injury going into the Clemson game this year. He started against Clemson but then his injury got worse and he wasn't healthy until November.

At a certain point, you just have to roll with a guy who is consistently healthy and shows up everyday. " The best ability is availability" and JT fails in that department. He's still a super talented player and frankly, much better than Stetson, but you just can't rely on him physically

Manny failed. Fickell failed as a carryover. Mel Tucker seems like an early success?

Those are 3 that come to mind initially, but not sure if that’s representative of what you’re looking to confirm. I think it’s a case by case basis, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom