OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bible. The hourglass! Venny picked up a few things from Dabo.

-----
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 3.08.34 PM.png

atlsfinest atlsfinest liltank0206 liltank0206

Last edited:

Jimmy Sexton really earns every dollar his clients give :lol:.All accounts are that Jason Candle will be Miami’s new OC, but this guy used it as an opportunity to flex Kendall a raise. Salute

...no. :lol:

If this is the best they can do, everything you heard about Miami being ready to commit and spend big to win is a sham.
Lol how so? A G5 head coach with a history of developing good offenses being hired as an OC. He’s making $1.2 mill right now and won a MAC title at Toledo, plus beat ranked teams. Genuinely curious how this wouldn’t be Miami being serious. Briles was the backup option here.

Lol how so? A G5 head coach with a history of developing good offenses being hired as an OC. He’s making $1.2 mill right now and won a MAC title at Toledo, plus beat ranked teams. Genuinely curious how this wouldn’t be Miami being serious. Briles was the backup option here.
N41D N41D would you like an opportunity for rebuttal?

N41D N41D would you like an opportunity for rebuttal?
I mean - if we’re excited about a guy that’s had one, maybe two really good offenses the last 5 ears from the MAC, I guess? Maybe I’m misreading the rankings dacomeup dacomeup posted above.

Two of the last three years when he’s finally at a point that he’s turned the program over with strictly his guys and two offensive groups were terrible?

Just feels like a low bar to clear.

I’d rather have Kendal Briles and i don’t think it would even be close for me, honestly.

I mean - if we’re excited about a guy that’s had one, maybe two really good offenses the last 5 ears from the MAC, I guess?

Two of the last three years when he’s finally at a point that he’s turned the program over with strictly his guys and two offensive groups were terrible?

Just feels like a low bar to clear.

I’d rather have Kendal Briles and it’s not even close, honestly.
But are we talking about him having to run your program as a HC or walking into a team with a talented QB and skill position players? I don’t really care about the having strictly his guys, he won’t have a shortage of talent on offense as long as Mario is the HC. It’s not like recruits are flocking to Toledo either.

And if the Briles thing is your stance… we can look at his time at FSU by comparison. There’s few candidates without any “warts”.

But are we talking about him having to run your program as a HC or walking into a team with a talented QB and skill position players? I don’t really care about the having strictly his guys, he won’t have a shortage of talent on offense as long as Mario is the HC. It’s not like recruits are flocking to Toledo either.
Recruits aren’t flocking to the MAC in general - but I’d expect a guy that’s an offensive guy to be able to field offenses better than bottom quarter of America after running a program for 5 or 6 years.

1. 2001 MIAMI
  2. 2019 LSU
  3. 2018 CLEMSON
  4. 2013 FSU
  5. 2004 USC
  6. 2020 BAMA
  7. 2021 GEORGIA
  8. 2008 FLORIDA
  9. 2005 TEXAS
  10. 2011 BAMA
  11. 2012 BAMA
  12. 2015 BAMA
  13. 2016 CLEMSON
  14. 2009 BAMA
  15. 2000 OKLAHOMA
  16. 2014 OHIO STATE
  17. 2002 OHIO STATE
  18. 2010 AUBURN
  19. 2017 BAMA
  20. 2006 FLORIDA
  21. 2003 LSU
  22. 2007 LSU

Recruits aren’t flocking to the MAC in general - but I’d expect a guy that’s an offensive guy to be able to field offenses better than bottom quarter of America after running a program for 5 or 6 years.
I guess I just don’t get how you can discount the years of good/great offenses though. There’s a hell of a lot more good/really good on there than anything else :lol:. Is there something schematically you’re not a fan of?

SP+

OC
2012 77
2013 33
2014 21
2015 60

HC
2016 10
2017 45
2018 28
2019 83
2020 61
2021 60

I guess I just don’t get how you can discount the years of good/great offenses though. There’s a hell of a lot more good/really good on there than anything else :lol:. Is there something schematically you’re not a fan of?

SP+

OC
2012 77
2013 33
2014 21
2015 60

HC
2016 10
2017 45
2018 28
2019 83
2020 61
2021 60
I just look at the metrics you’ve posted and see a guy that kind of peaked with Campbell, had a great year in Year 1 and has - at best - gradually taken a couple of steps backward since.

Is that an issue of being a head coach and just not being able to manage all of it? Or was Campbell more involved when he was the head guy and maybe is where we should attribute more of the offensive progression given the fall off since?

Iowa State is consistently in the Top 20 nationally of almost all the efficiency metrics despite being behind par recruiting/talent wise relative to their conference mates.

Maybe it’s me - but if I’m spending nearly $2m on a OC, I’d rather he not be a mid-major guy that’s never coached outside of Toledo and has been outside the top 50 offenses in the country as a playcaller about as often as not over the last decade.

Is that an issue of being a head coach and just not being able to manage all of it? Or was Campbell more involved when he was the head guy and maybe is where we should attribute more of the offensive progression given the fall off since?
But how do we explain them having their best year by far the year after Campbell left? If Campbell was more involved when he was the head guy and was more responsible for the success, then having his Top 3 years AFTER Campbell left would seem counterintuitive to that. And after the “step back” he bounced back to 28 the following year. I agree that there’s been some fall off towards the end, but seems like there are murmurs that he’s been ready to get out too. Him and Mario share the same agent, apparently.

Also, he’s a 45-27 head coach.. which isn’t Shabby. I remember them battling P5s pretty well in the times that I’ve seen them, but admittedly not frequently watching MACtion.

Taking a G5 HC who had seemingly been listed when most low/mid-tier P5 jobs open up over the last 5 or so years and making him your OC when he’s got this resume seems like a pretty good deal to me. We’ll see how it plays out, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom