OFFICIAL 2021-2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everyone knew he went out there to take the job except for the Vikings.

I just returned from a good meeting at LSU that was organized by the Athletic Department and the Consulting Company that is directing LSU and all its license agreements. Here are my thoughts from the meeting. Let me say this. I moved back home to BR just a week ago. I have not been as involved with TAF and the Athletic department as much as I once was. So this was my first meeting back and I did a lot of observing and listening. My thoughts below:

1. I was surprised to see LSU having this first meeting so late into the NIL process. I understand why we probably got out recruited this cycle. For whatever reason I just thought this NILSU “Brand” and work was much much further along. When we were asked to stand if anyone in the audience was part of an NIL deal with a student athlete I would say less than 10 people stood up out of approximately 250 people mostly business owners. Again very surprised at the lack of direction LSU has given the potential donors.

2. The consulting company is a young group of people that seemed to be moving at a snails pace towards real action.

3. Several companies were eager to do some deals but I did not get the impression these would be big money type deals. Everyone was told 2 rules to follow: can’t offer pay to play. And can’t offer $ to gain recruits without an approved NIL deal. Then they followed those 2 rules up with by saying “It’s the wild Wild West”.

4. Coach Kelly spoke first and he did not mention recruiting at all. He said we need supports and businesses to work with our student athletes on NIL deals so LSU does not get passed up…… it does not take a rocket science to know we are already behind.

Conclusion: My business partner and I left the meeting when it was over and both of us wondered how was this going to resonate with season ticket holders and supporters. Allow me to be honest….. I left the NIL meeting really with a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Reason is it is Pay to Play. You can’t put lip-stick on a pig because it’s still A pig. Boutee, Perkins, etc. most of these kids are not going to impact a business campaign at all. i Don’t know how all this is going to end but buckle up for a strange ride.

I just returned from a good meeting at LSU that was organized by the Athletic Department and the Consulting Company that is directing LSU and all its license agreements. Here are my thoughts from the meeting. Let me say this. I moved back home to BR just a week ago. I have not been as involved with TAF and the Athletic department as much as I once was. So this was my first meeting back and I did a lot of observing and listening. My thoughts below:

1. I was surprised to see LSU having this first meeting so late into the NIL process. I understand why we probably got out recruited this cycle. For whatever reason I just thought this NILSU “Brand” and work was much much further along. When we were asked to stand if anyone in the audience was part of an NIL deal with a student athlete I would say less than 10 people stood up out of approximately 250 people mostly business owners. Again very surprised at the lack of direction LSU has given the potential donors.

2. The consulting company is a young group of people that seemed to be moving at a snails pace towards real action.

3. Several companies were eager to do some deals but I did not get the impression these would be big money type deals. Everyone was told 2 rules to follow: can’t offer pay to play. And can’t offer $ to gain recruits without an approved NIL deal. Then they followed those 2 rules up with by saying “It’s the wild Wild West”.

4. Coach Kelly spoke first and he did not mention recruiting at all. He said we need supports and businesses to work with our student athletes on NIL deals so LSU does not get passed up…… it does not take a rocket science to know we are already behind.

Conclusion: My business partner and I left the meeting when it was over and both of us wondered how was this going to resonate with season ticket holders and supporters. Allow me to be honest….. I left the NIL meeting really with a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Reason is it is Pay to Play. You can’t put lip-stick on a pig because it’s still A pig. Boutee, Perkins, etc. most of these kids are not going to impact a business campaign at all. i Don’t know how all this is going to end but buckle up for a strange ride.
I would love to see how the other schools are approaching it to make it seem "legal"... The NCAA did not want this and are sitting back and watching while schools go crazy or try to figure it out on their own... Then they can jump in and say "see, this is why it doesn't work"... Will be interesting to see how it "works" but like the man said in Nako's post... Buckle up

I would love to see how the other schools are approaching it to make it seem "legal"... The NCAA did not want this and are sitting back and watching while schools go crazy or try to figure it out on their own... Then they can jump in and say "see, this is why it doesn't work"... Will be interesting to see how it "works" but like the man said in Nako's post... Buckle up
It's absolutely pay for play but they want it cleaned up and on the books/recorded so they can at least monitor it. The interesting part is the varying state laws around it.

Some states permit schools to directly negotiate the deals between kids and 3rd party businesses while others don't allow the schools to be involved at all outside of monitoring what deals are being made and if they pass compliance rules. That gets messy when those businesses are run by boosters and, then there's the argument, isn't any person or business giving a recruit money conditioned on him attending a specific school, technically a booster?

We saw Florida move to change their rule after Jackson state pulled recruits away from their big 3, to allow FL schools to directly compensate players (through 3rd parties) for signing with them. (Yes, I know the politician who wrote the bill claims it was just a coincidence he's a FSU fan and that he filed it hours after they lost Travis Hunter.)

“I didn’t even realize it was national signing day,” LaMarca told SI in an interview on Wednesday night. “I saw the FSU stuff and thought, ‘Well this isn’t an FSU bill,’ but this is interesting!”

“What’s ironic, I’m both a Florida State and a Deion fan,” LaMarca said. “What is the reason to go from a program that was in the top-5 for 12 years straight with three national titles to a small HBCU in Mississippi?

Ehhh... and why is Vernon Adams of all people criticizing the transfer portal and pushing this "they'll find you, trust me," narrative.

Last edited:
That rule wasn't solely just because of Hunter, they had been trying to get that done for a while. But it would be silly to ignore the coincidence

Bama fans already didn't like him and this just gives him another reason to push him out of the door.

1643905991230.png

aepps20 aepps20 got a new favorite player.

So everyone knew he went out there to take the job except for the Vikings.

Tried telling everyone this. If Minnesota wanted him as bad as Harbaugh was lettimg on that he wanted to be there, a deal wouldve been done. No rumors ever came out of Minnesota that that was the case though.

But I really did expect Graham (black) to get hired after no deal with Jim.

He was a pre-season all american so prob that hype

True. He wasn’t bad for us but he definitely did not live up to the hype. I am curious to see where he ends up.

Also very interested to see how the defense looks this coming season. I don't think Ohio State has ever played this kind of 4-2-5. Definitely played alot of nickel with a LB/Safety hybrid guy but this is completely different. It can’t be any worse than last season…I hope :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom