OFFICIAL: Air Trainer 1 Mid Premium aka "Chlorophylls"... paging Wallyhop....

with nike really putting out these trainers, i've been sitting and waiting for a proper, or at least something close to one, retro of the classic color way.

the 08 pair didnt have the ribbed tongue i believe
No, I don't recall any of them having a ribbed tongue...

But I hated the puffy tongue... the 2008 Asian release also used a darker green on the strap, which I didn't like.  Had to repaint the rubber if I wanted more pop on the chloro.

what year was the last wearable chlorophyll retro w decent material?

Memories are fading as I don't own every retro anymore. But the latest true wearable retro with acceptable materials would be the 2012s.

Here's a rundown on the retros

2000. Closest thing to the 87-88-90-93 originals. Brushable suede, and a real white leather upper. Nothing since has came close. Bad news is that one of my pairs started to have mid sole foam crumbling as early as 2013. So the lifespan on wearing those in 2015 seems pretty sketchy

2002 LTD asia release comes out with a full perf. pleather tongue, and synthetic suede. The puffy shiny checkerboard tongue also makes an appearance.

2008 Darker Nike on strap as noted above, with all other features including materials looking the same as 2002

2009 Legacy. Different tongue tag (larger one that overlaps the top of the tongue). But all other materials and features not veering too far away from the 2002.

Late 2009. There was a small run with the same 2002 features

2012. Ribbed tongue, which goes back to one of the original 1987 designs. Flat tongue compared to the others. Materials in my estimation were of the same general pleather and synthetic suede that has plagued this model since 2002.

As far as egg crate insoles and sock liner colors, I don't remember those details.

Considering the 2008s had an uglier much darker NIKE on the strap, and most had to paint it, I see no reason to seek out anything other than the 2012s.. Just my opinion.. Price wise, I would not pay the now "3 years past its release scarcity" pricing of $150.. They are worth $70 tops. But that's just me. My pair is holding up fine to weekly wear :D

Last edited:
With regards to the egg-crate sock liner... I wanna say 2002 & 2008 have em.  

Last edited:
Source on the photos?

That blue pair 
pimp.gif

The whites look just like the whites that came out but with a Fragment bolt.  The blue ones are flame!

The whites look just like the whites that came out but with a Fragment bolt.  The blue ones are flame!

Yep. Releasing two white pairs doesn't make a ton of sense. But, since they may not make it to the U.S., maybe that GR version is a consolation prize.

Back
Top Bottom