::Official ask a Muslim vol. Salaam::

I work with somebody that is Muslim. I see her everyday for the past month fasting for Ramadan. I have thought about fasting with her for a day because I wanted to understand my self-control and how it would feel to not eat from sun up to sundown.

I have thought about this long and hard and still have not fasted for her. I feel sorry that she is fasting but I feel sorry for myself for not taking part in fasting. How does one have such great self-control to not eat for a day?

Hazel what you said was pretty blunt, just my opinion. I'm not muslim btw.

The second part was not directed towards you. I'm talking about these rabble-rousing Tea party leaders with their ******ed xenophobic rhetoric. Can we just all get along?

Hazel what you said was pretty blunt, just my opinion. I'm not muslim btw.

The second part was not directed towards you. I'm talking about these rabble-rousing Tea party leaders with their ******ed xenophobic rhetoric. Can we just all get along?

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:

You and I are different ends on a spectrum in the sense that I was a big believer in Islam and the more research I did as I was rethinking organized religion is when I became disassociated with it and I came to the realization that Islam was also manmade.

I also used to be so fascinated by the Qur'an's literature, poetic flow and how people memorized it. It is also said Prophet Mohammed was illiterate and that it is a miracle he was able to recite all of the Qur'an. But then I looked in to the history and that was very achievable since during the pagan Arab era they used to be huge on poetry and the tribes used to do memorizations in the same way. A lot of the famous poets were also illiterate. Poetry was one of their main source of communication.

The Qur'an was also not always in its true form from the beginning. The way it was collected was a political process. Tthe original Qur’an was created during the political reign of Abu Bakr. In different parts of the Middle East there were even different version and copies. Then you have to look into the political process and history and it is very evident to why Hudhaifa and Uthman decided to burn all the other copies and remained with one version unity of the Qur'an since it was meant unity of all Muslims. Muslim source materials even indicate there were initially four different versions of the Qur'an. When you look at the Qur'an, does it not say "the book of Uthman"? It is all because in the process how it came to that one edited and compiled version.

That is why when Muslims claim that the Qur'an is original in its true form and dismiss all the other religious texts, I just cringe. They completely overlook the history and how the Qur'an was edited too.

I will say though, I think Prophet Mohammed was a genius, but in no way do I believe he was a real prophet sent from God like he claims he was.

I will just chime into this thread as I see it very interesting and beneficial. In regards to the compilation of the Quran and the fact that it has never been altered, not even a letter, has been confirmed through historical text by many scholars. Of course, you have others who will refute such claims because this is one of the miracles of the Quran as Allah (God) says in his holy book that he himself is responsible for preserving his final revelation. I could write on and on explaining how the Quran was compiled and completed by the Prophet's (peace be upon him) death, but it is more beneficial to watch a clip that I'll post if you are further interested. 
The best evidence I can give to you asserting the Quran's preservation from personal experience is the fact that non speaking arabs who do not have some kind of uncanny photographic memory have memorized the Quran cover to cover all across the world. The imam at the mosque I attend memorized the Quran totally and he is asian. Part of the miraculous nature of the Quran is that it has such a style and rhythm that it can be called upon with ease for those who choose to remember their lord. Is this not a sign for those who take heed? 

In regards to the issue of poetry and how it was a media for communication as well as past time among the Arabs, this is absolutely true. However, this is precisely why the Quran was able to grip the hearts of those that heard it. The words that came from the mouth of the truthful one (as he was known by his own people) was sweetness and unlike anything they had ever heard before. The Prophet (peace be upon him) was never known for poetry for the 40 years of his life prior to being given prophethood. And while the Quran does have a rhythmic flow to it, this is only one element. The Quran contains wisdom, rules and regulations, stories, science etc that could not possibly have been uttered from someone who had not known to read or write.

I like to think of someone trying to freestyle rap, while uttering things that actually have meaning and make coherent sense. Never seen it done before. 

Anyways, heres the video I promised. 

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:

You and I are different ends on a spectrum in the sense that I was a big believer in Islam and the more research I did as I was rethinking organized religion is when I became disassociated with it and I came to the realization that Islam was also manmade.

I also used to be so fascinated by the Qur'an's literature, poetic flow and how people memorized it. It is also said Prophet Mohammed was illiterate and that it is a miracle he was able to recite all of the Qur'an. But then I looked in to the history and that was very achievable since during the pagan Arab era they used to be huge on poetry and the tribes used to do memorizations in the same way. A lot of the famous poets were also illiterate. Poetry was one of their main source of communication.

The Qur'an was also not always in its true form from the beginning. The way it was collected was a political process. Tthe original Qur’an was created during the political reign of Abu Bakr. In different parts of the Middle East there were even different version and copies. Then you have to look into the political process and history and it is very evident to why Hudhaifa and Uthman decided to burn all the other copies and remained with one version unity of the Qur'an since it was meant unity of all Muslims. Muslim source materials even indicate there were initially four different versions of the Qur'an. When you look at the Qur'an, does it not say "the book of Uthman"? It is all because in the process how it came to that one edited and compiled version.

That is why when Muslims claim that the Qur'an is original in its true form and dismiss all the other religious texts, I just cringe. They completely overlook the history and how the Qur'an was edited too.

I will say though, I think Prophet Mohammed was a genius, but in no way do I believe he was a real prophet sent from God like he claims he was.

I will just chime into this thread as I see it very interesting and beneficial. In regards to the compilation of the Quran and the fact that it has never been altered, not even a letter, has been confirmed through historical text by many scholars. Of course, you have others who will refute such claims because this is one of the miracles of the Quran as Allah (God) says in his holy book that he himself is responsible for preserving his final revelation. I could write on and on explaining how the Quran was compiled and completed by the Prophet's (peace be upon him) death, but it is more beneficial to watch a clip that I'll post if you are further interested. 
The best evidence I can give to you asserting the Quran's preservation from personal experience is the fact that non speaking arabs who do not have some kind of uncanny photographic memory have memorized the Quran cover to cover all across the world. The imam at the mosque I attend memorized the Quran totally and he is asian. Part of the miraculous nature of the Quran is that it has such a style and rhythm that it can be called upon with ease for those who choose to remember their lord. Is this not a sign for those who take heed? 

In regards to the issue of poetry and how it was a media for communication as well as past time among the Arabs, this is absolutely true. However, this is precisely why the Quran was able to grip the hearts of those that heard it. The words that came from the mouth of the truthful one (as he was known by his own people) was sweetness and unlike anything they had ever heard before. The Prophet (peace be upon him) was never known for poetry for the 40 years of his life prior to being given prophethood. And while the Quran does have a rhythmic flow to it, this is only one element. The Quran contains wisdom, rules and regulations, stories, science etc that could not possibly have been uttered from someone who had not known to read or write.

I like to think of someone trying to freestyle rap, while uttering things that actually have meaning and make coherent sense. Never seen it done before. 

Originally Posted by Solemate96

I work with somebody that is Muslim. I see her everyday for the past month fasting for Ramadan. I have thought about fasting with her for a day because I wanted to understand my self-control and how it would feel to not eat from sun up to sundown.

I have thought about this long and hard and still have not fasted for her. I feel sorry that she is fasting but I feel sorry for myself for not taking part in fasting. How does one have such great self-control to not eat for a day?
you have to  learn to control all functions of the body including eating. Just because your body calls for food doesnt means its hungry its a want not a need many times (Ramadan or not). but as football coaches like to say "water makes you weak" and there some wisdom to that. Your co-worker has to focus on active tasks or she will have asleep/wander off mentally.  (i've dozed off many a  midday from lack of doing anything
laugh.gif
smh.gif
)

you have to  learn to control all functions of the body including eating. Just because your body calls for food doesnt means its hungry its a want not a need many times (Ramadan or not). but as football coaches like to say "water makes you weak" and there some wisdom to that. Your co-worker has to focus on active tasks or she will have asleep/wander off mentally.  (i've dozed off many a  midday from lack of doing anything
laugh.gif
smh.gif
)

Originally Posted by Quest4Glory

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:

I have no faith in humanity.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Quest4Glory

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:

I have no faith in humanity.
laugh.gif

I am currently reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X and while Malcolm was in jail one of his brothers says "God (referring to Allah) had 360 degrees of knowledge. He said that 360 degrees represented "the sum total of knowledge"...The devil has only thirty-three degrees of knowledge know as Masonry.. The devil uses his Masonry to rule other people"

May you explain more about the whole 360 degrees of knowledge and do islamic people look at Masons as workers of the devil?

I am currently reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X and while Malcolm was in jail one of his brothers says "God (referring to Allah) had 360 degrees of knowledge. He said that 360 degrees represented "the sum total of knowledge"...The devil has only thirty-three degrees of knowledge know as Masonry.. The devil uses his Masonry to rule other people"

May you explain more about the whole 360 degrees of knowledge and do islamic people look at Masons as workers of the devil?

Originally Posted by RedMan

The religion that Malcolm X was exposed to was the Nation of Islam. The Guy that preached that 360 stuff was a member of the Nation of Islam. Despite the similarity in name, the Nation of Islam and Orthodox Islam are very different. Skim through the wikipedia article on the NOI to get an idea...or just finish the book lols.

The religion that Malcolm X was exposed to was the Nation of Islam. The Guy that preached that 360 stuff was a member of the Nation of Islam. Despite the similarity in name, the Nation of Islam and Orthodox Islam are very different. Skim through the wikipedia article on the NOI to get an idea...or just finish the book lols.

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Lol, I plan on finishing it tonight. I was unaware that NOI was different from Islam.

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Lol, I plan on finishing it tonight. I was unaware that NOI was different from Islam.

Salaam everyone,

Some questions and answers I have heard in here and around other places. 1) Much of the mistreatment of women I.e. women can not drive in Arabia and women and non arabs being treated as second class citizens in some of these so called "Islamic" countries is very much caused from tribal and cultural beliefs not Islam. Some are just cultural norms like the burqa in Afghanistan which can be seen as common as the t shirt here. Even when women were "given" the freedom to not wear the burqa, many still do just because its just clothing and their culture.

Also another key fact, Prophet Mohammad pbuh first and only wife at the time Khadijah was first his boss and then wife, all while being older than the prophet. I really feel people need to look past the media which has been just muslim hating the last 9 years and realizing what is tribal and actually Islam. btw, who was tried to work out consistently during this ramadan???

Salaam everyone,

Some questions and answers I have heard in here and around other places. 1) Much of the mistreatment of women I.e. women can not drive in Arabia and women and non arabs being treated as second class citizens in some of these so called "Islamic" countries is very much caused from tribal and cultural beliefs not Islam. Some are just cultural norms like the burqa in Afghanistan which can be seen as common as the t shirt here. Even when women were "given" the freedom to not wear the burqa, many still do just because its just clothing and their culture.

Also another key fact, Prophet Mohammad pbuh first and only wife at the time Khadijah was first his boss and then wife, all while being older than the prophet. I really feel people need to look past the media which has been just muslim hating the last 9 years and realizing what is tribal and actually Islam. btw, who was tried to work out consistently during this ramadan???

What do you mean by saying "I feel sorry that she is fasting?
She chose to be Muslim, and therefore chose to accept the sacrifice that is fasting.

As far as wanting to test your self-control (or lack thereof..lols)--
If you can't do it after trying a few times..try easing yourself into it (eating only 3 snacks a day, then 2etc.)
Sidebar: Realize that 6 year old kids fast every Ramadan...Forget that..3 year olds in 3rd world countries "fast" for days at a time. So yeah.

..Or just be a normal person and eat. If you want to test your self-control, try not doing something that ISN'T necessary for survival.
For example drinking, sex, gambling, fast-food..even something like texting.

I personally think that fasting is dumb (no offense muslim/jewbrahs.) From fasting for religion to fasting for weight-loss/self-control...I think it's ******ed. The fact of the matter is that food is a need, not a want. And if you have food, there is no reason not to eat. Furthermore, Islam doesn't allow drinking water while fasting..Are you ***%%#%! me? GTFOOHWTBS

What do you mean by saying "I feel sorry that she is fasting?
She chose to be Muslim, and therefore chose to accept the sacrifice that is fasting.

As far as wanting to test your self-control (or lack thereof..lols)--
If you can't do it after trying a few times..try easing yourself into it (eating only 3 snacks a day, then 2etc.)
Sidebar: Realize that 6 year old kids fast every Ramadan...Forget that..3 year olds in 3rd world countries "fast" for days at a time. So yeah.

..Or just be a normal person and eat. If you want to test your self-control, try not doing something that ISN'T necessary for survival.
For example drinking, sex, gambling, fast-food..even something like texting.

I personally think that fasting is dumb (no offense muslim/jewbrahs.) From fasting for religion to fasting for weight-loss/self-control...I think it's ******ed. The fact of the matter is that food is a need, not a want. And if you have food, there is no reason not to eat. Furthermore, Islam doesn't allow drinking water while fasting..Are you ***%%#%! me? GTFOOHWTBS

Back
Top Bottom