::Official ask a Muslim vol. Salaam::

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:
Sorry guys for my following essay, but I had quite a bit to explain in replying to this post.

Quest4Glory wrote:
I will just chime into this thread as I see it very interesting and beneficial. In regards to the compilation of the Quran and the fact that it has never been altered, not even a letter, has been confirmed through historical text by many scholars. Of course, you have others who will refute such claims because this is one of the miracles of the Quran as Allah (God) says in his holy book that he himself is responsible for preserving his final revelation. I could write on and on explaining how the Quran was compiled and completed by the Prophet's (peace be upon him) death, but it is more beneficial to watch a clip that I'll post if you are further interested. 
Those are the claims that I have an issue with, because facts and history say otherwise. Verses were extracted, added, edited throughout until when that council happened where the Caliph Uthman took the different codified versions of the Qur'an, burned them all, and decided to stick to that one version he compiled to unify all Muslims.

This is what the mainstream Muslim scholars claim:
After the death of Muhammad, the text of the Qur'an was written down in the caliphate of Abu Bakr. Until 'Uthman, one and only one written text existed. For over a decade after the death of Muhammad, the Qur'an remained primarily an oral text in the memories of the faithful. In Islamic accounts of the history of the Qur'an , this oral text was entirely faithful to the original verses—this is entirely possible, but Western historians generally agree that some corruptions must have produced slight variations throughout the Islamic world. Nevertheless, the military expansion of Islam led to two direct consequences concerning the integrity of the Quranic text. First, large numbers of the faithful were dying out in the various military expeditions. Each time someone died who had the Quranic text memorized, that meant that one copy of the Qur'an disappeared forever. Second, the expansion of Islam swelled the ranks of the faithful. Many of these new converts spoke other langagues and the original Arabic of the Qur'an began to corrupt. Faced with these two threats to the integrity of the Qur'an , 'Uthman orderd a rescension of the text to be made and to serve as the definitive written version of the text. A rescension is a version of a text that is assembled from all the variant versions of that text. 'Uthman, however, relied on two sources: the written text that had been ordered by Abu Bakr and that still existed, and the various oral texts of Muslims who memorized it during the lifetime of Muhammad. In Islamic history, there is no variation between these two sources, so the Uthmanic "rescension" is largely a codifying of a single version of a text. This version, the 'Uthmanic rescension, is the version of the Qur'an that has remained, unchanged, the central holy text of Islam.
http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/ISLAM/QURAN.HTM

There are so many historical tidbits left out in these assertions. So many obvious historical events I can say also happened during those times which also would show how the Qur’an could not have been preserved to one original and pure copy (ie. the fact Qur’an was compiled a decade after Prophet Mohammed’s death, some of those who had it memorized died, many different versions existed with different text and Arabic dialect, etc.)An important historical fact which always remains unmentioned in this mainstream Islamic thought are the traditions that report that Uthman destroyed by fire all variant readings and texts that did not conform to his Qur’anic compilation.

Tangible evidence of textual and archeological evidences shut down these traditional mainstream views about the formation and preservation of the Qur’an that it has never been altered or ever changed. For example, there are quite a few of different variations that exist such as between the Samarkand codex version of the Qur’an and the “standard

Hey everyone,

Back from my labor day weekend vacation to Chicago. I love NY but Chicago gets mad love.

I'm happy to see this thread is still alive with discussion. I'll be responding to questions and comments soon.

Hey everyone,

Back from my labor day weekend vacation to Chicago. I love NY but Chicago gets mad love.

I'm happy to see this thread is still alive with discussion. I'll be responding to questions and comments soon.

is it true that a muslim that dies while killing infidels (in this case, referring to those not of the muslim faith) is rewarded with 72 virgins?

is it true that a muslim that dies while killing infidels (in this case, referring to those not of the muslim faith) is rewarded with 72 virgins?

How is evolution and the beginning of our universe .... and basically any science that contradicts Islamic teaching....viewed upon by Muslims?

sorry for the badly worded sentence.

How is evolution and the beginning of our universe .... and basically any science that contradicts Islamic teaching....viewed upon by Muslims?

I came across these video recently and just wanted to share. Sorry for not embedding, if someone could help me out, but my computer has been buggin

I came across these video recently and just wanted to share. Sorry for not embedding, if someone could help me out, but my computer has been buggin

How is evolution and the beginning of our universe .... and basicallyany science that contradicts Islamic teaching....viewed upon by Muslims?

There are no conflicts with any generally agreed upon scientific beliefs.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a biology major.  I'm fairly well versed in evolutionary biology, and the only conflict is with the beginning of man.  The concept of survival of the fittest, the diverse abundance of wildlife, and other evolutionary concepts are all in agreement with Islamic thought.

is it true that a muslim that dies while killing infidels (inthis case, referring to those not of the muslim faith) is rewarded with72 virgins?

No.  A Muslim that dies the death of a martyr is rewarded will receive that reward, although it may not be that high.  The number is disputed, and could be 50, 70, or 72.

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The lowest of people in status in Paradise will be a man whose face Allaah turns away from the Fire towards Paradise, and shows him a tree giving shade. He will say, ‘O Lord, bring me closer to that tree so that I may be in its shade… Then he will enter his house [in Paradise] and his two wives from among al-hoor al-‘iyn will come in and will say to him, ‘Praise be to Allaah who brought you to life for us and brought us to life for you.’ Then he will say, ‘No one has been given what I have been given.’

How is evolution and the beginning of our universe .... and basicallyany science that contradicts Islamic teaching....viewed upon by Muslims?

There are no conflicts with any generally agreed upon scientific beliefs.

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a biology major.  I'm fairly well versed in evolutionary biology, and the only conflict is with the beginning of man.  The concept of survival of the fittest, the diverse abundance of wildlife, and other evolutionary concepts are all in agreement with Islamic thought.

is it true that a muslim that dies while killing infidels (inthis case, referring to those not of the muslim faith) is rewarded with72 virgins?

No.  A Muslim that dies the death of a martyr is rewarded will receive that reward, although it may not be that high.  The number is disputed, and could be 50, 70, or 72.

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The lowest of people in status in Paradise will be a man whose face Allaah turns away from the Fire towards Paradise, and shows him a tree giving shade. He will say, ‘O Lord, bring me closer to that tree so that I may be in its shade… Then he will enter his house [in Paradise] and his two wives from among al-hoor al-‘iyn will come in and will say to him, ‘Praise be to Allaah who brought you to life for us and brought us to life for you.’ Then he will say, ‘No one has been given what I have been given.’

Originally Posted by heartofthacity

Originally Posted by Solemate96

I work with somebody that is Muslim. I see her everyday for the past month fasting for Ramadan. I have thought about fasting with her for a day because I wanted to understand my self-control and how it would feel to not eat from sun up to sundown.

I have thought about this long and hard and still have not fasted for her. I feel sorry that she is fasting but I feel sorry for myself for not taking part in fasting. How does one have such great self-control to not eat for a day?
What do you mean by saying "I feel sorry that she is fasting?
She chose to be Muslim, and therefore chose to accept the sacrifice that is fasting.

As far as wanting to test your self-control (or lack thereof..lols)--
If you can't do it after trying a few times..try easing yourself into it (eating only 3 snacks a day, then 2etc.)
Sidebar: Realize that 6 year old kids fast every Ramadan...Forget that..3 year olds in 3rd world countries "fast" for days at a time. So yeah.

..Or just be a normal person and eat. If you want to test your self-control, try not doing something that ISN'T necessary for survival.
For example drinking, sex, gambling, fast-food..even something like texting.

I personally think that fasting is dumb (no offense muslim/jewbrahs.) From fasting for religion to fasting for weight-loss/self-control...I think it's ******ed. The fact of the matter is that food is a need, not a want. And if you have food, there is no reason not to eat. Furthermore, Islam doesn't allow drinking water while fasting..Are you ***%%#%! me? GTFOOHWTBS
What I mean by feeling sorry is this. I sit and work with her everyday and she is like a mother to me. Her son is about the same age as me and she makes me feel as though I am her own. I see her fast every single day without drinking or eating this past month and feel like I should be doing something as well. 

I work with somebody that is Muslim. I see her everyday for the past month fasting for Ramadan. I have thought about fasting with her for a day because I wanted to understand my self-control and how it would feel to not eat from sun up to sundown.

I have thought about this long and hard and still have not fasted for her. I feel sorry that she is fasting but I feel sorry for myself for not taking part in fasting. How does one have such great self-control to not eat for a day?
She chose to be Muslim, and therefore chose to accept the sacrifice that is fasting.

If you can't do it after trying a few times..try easing yourself into it (eating only 3 snacks a day, then 2etc.)
Sidebar: Realize that 6 year old kids fast every Ramadan...Forget that..3 year olds in 3rd world countries "fast" for days at a time. So yeah.

..Or just be a normal person and eat. If you want to test your self-control, try not doing something that ISN'T necessary for survival.

I personally think that fasting is dumb (no offense muslim/jewbrahs.) From fasting for religion to fasting for weight-loss/self-control...I think it's ******ed. The fact of the matter is that food is a need, not a want. And if you have food, there is no reason not to eat. Furthermore, Islam doesn't allow drinking water while fasting..Are you ***%%#%! me? GTFOOHWTBS
What I mean by feeling sorry is this. I sit and work with her everyday and she is like a mother to me. Her son is about the same age as me and she makes me feel as though I am her own. I see her fast every single day without drinking or eating this past month and feel like I should be doing something as well. 

:love this post!

I love Ramadan it always brings my family closer. I am a Muslim and reading this post actually taught me a few things.

Happy Eid!

:love this post!

I love Ramadan it always brings my family closer. I am a Muslim and reading this post actually taught me a few things.

Happy Eid!

Mo Matik and everybody else who replied to my post. Thanks for all the insight and everything in regards to this.

Even though I didn't fast, I learned a lot about this religion. Thanks for all the insight my Muslim and NT brethren.

Mo Matik and everybody else who replied to my post. Thanks for all the insight and everything in regards to this.

Even though I didn't fast, I learned a lot about this religion. Thanks for all the insight my Muslim and NT brethren.

Back
Top Bottom