OFFICIAL BEATMAKING / PRODUCTION THREAD Vol. New NT

^ agreed.

As usual, when I find things in my travels that will benefit the NT production fam, I always try to post them here.

http://www.freedrumkits.net/index.php - good stuff here, all for $free.99.

Also, my friend and Boston-based DJ Teddy Ruck-Spin (@teddy_ruckspin on Twitter/IG) pulled up this sweet playlist off of YouTube full of Brazilian breaks; a lot of great drum sounds for chopping.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=472538491FC3400C

Enjoy.

Do all of you guys use studio monitors???

I use some 5.1 surround sound speakers at home and earphones when im at work making beats.. just wondering if there is a significant difference while producing (not mixing)

I do - KRK Rokit 5s, the old ones.

I've recorded and mixed on other things, and I think it all comes down to knowing the speakers you're monitoring on. As long as you know what your speakers may be overcompensating for (or lacking), i.e. bass, high end, etc., you should be okay. The key is to have monitors that give you as "flat" of a signal as they possibly can, so the speaker itself is not "coloring" your mix. That means, anything you do to a track, what you hear will be an accurate representation.

I lost EVERYTHING around 2007.

My HD went kaput and I didn't have anything backed up.

Just got a text from a homie about a new book coming out this December; GetOnDown.com, the same site that recently released the Raekwon Purple Tape and Nas Illmatic premium collections is releasing "Beat Box: A Drum Machine Obsession"; this book might be a nice piece of inspiration for all the gearheads in here.

http://www.getondown.com/blog/2013/10/beat-box-a-drum-machine-obsession/

Also, copped this last week - if you produce, it's a must-have, really enjoying it.

Amazon product ASIN 1584235101

C CUNNiNGH4M - Fam, you definitely have some HEAT on soundcloud :pimp: :pimp: ... will be reaching out to you soon once I let a few artist on the team hear your work.

@WhatsLosinLike - Started listening to your work a few months back, I like the progression in your sound, especially some of your new work :smokin ..

J A M E S J A M E S - I appreciate all the knowledge you've been dropping in this thread, I haven't had a chance to listen to your work but that's on the agenda this week, hopefully at tonight's studio session.

@Mez 0ne - everything I'm hearing and seeing so far looks great .. you doing any work or have any artist you get down with in NJ?

budap06 budap06 - gonna listen to that mixtape this week as well, we're always looking for beats

I'm going to start posting songs/videos/vlogs etc pretty soon, just finishing up a couple of projects that need to be mastered.
Really trying to get the artist/producers on my team out there, feels like we're sitting on a pot of gold right now.

let's keep this thread alive and I will be reaching out to everyone at some point :nthat:

Last edited:
anybody got any good ways to remove vocals from tracks??? i'm using Logic...

Here's the quick answer:

1. You need two files - the full song and the instrumental version.

2. Put both tracks in whatever DAW you're using - they have to be lined up perfectly, note for note, drum for drum.

3. "Invert" the instrumental file (your program probably has a way to process audio like this, but the "how" differs from DAW to DAW). You should result in a less-than-perfect, but workable acapella version.

This works because when you stack two of the same audio signals on top of each other and invert one, whatever sounds are identical basically cancel each other out. When done right, this leaves you with just the "leftovers", which in this case is the vocal.

I've never tried this myself but I have a few friends who have made pretty good acapellas via this method.

Good luck.

captainsneakerhead23 captainsneakerhead23 thanks a lot fam, appreciate it.

Recently I've started to take great joy in sharing what I know with other people. I used to be stingy with it, thinking that if others knew what I knew, they could duplicate my creativity. That changed when I realized that it's impossible - two creators with the exact same knowledge and equipment are still going to result with different end products, because you can't replicate the imagination of the individual.

The "producer" analogy to this would be how guys used to not share their equipment list, or their samples - pointless. You give the same joint to ten different guys to chop, or the same keyboard to play on, you're going to get ten different beats...we all see things differently.

Plus, the more information we share and exchange, the better we all become.

#dropagemonem #jewels #deep #whoa #sarcastichashtagusage

Lol.

@CaptainSneakerhead23 thanks fam... lookin forward to it

how long has the forum had twitter like mentions?

If the sample sources I got in my bookmarks in the ohter computer bookmarks I'll postem, just need to get my lazy *** up stairs to turn the computer on. :lol:

I just came up with some extra cash recently. I got my eye on the NI Maschine. Anyone ever work with one of them? I'm currently rocking with Reason 3 and the mpd24 and have been for about 4 yours now.

I just came up with some extra cash recently. I got my eye on the NI Maschine. Anyone ever work with one of them? I'm currently rocking with Reason 3 and the mpd24 and have been for about 4 yours now.

REASON 3?!? dude how do you do it? lmfao

Here's the quick answer:

1. You need two files - the full song and the instrumental version.

2. Put both tracks in whatever DAW you're using - they have to be lined up perfectly, note for note, drum for drum.

3. "Invert" the instrumental file (your program probably has a way to process audio like this, but the "how" differs from DAW to DAW). You should result in a less-than-perfect, but workable acapella version.

This works because when you stack two of the same audio signals on top of each other and invert one, whatever sounds are identical basically cancel each other out. When done right, this leaves you with just the "leftovers", which in this case is the vocal.

I've never tried this myself but I have a few friends who have made pretty good acapellas via this method.

Good luck.

i think he meant turn a song into an instrumental.

i think he meant turn a song into an instrumental.

You're right, I read that wrong - same process though, just need the original song and the acapella...

...but good luck on that, especially for old songs...lol

Back
Top Bottom