Official Coachella 2014 Thread & FAQs : OUTKAST, Arcade Fire, Muse April 11-13, April 18-20

that feeling when your friends blew up your phone last night that they are about to watch Outkast live... followed by waking up in the morning and reading that the performance sucked :evil:

I'm at work while outkast is performing 20 minutes away.
838707827.gif

:rofl:

best gif I have seen in a long time

Holy **** im crying so hard right now lmaoooooo

Ferg energy though. :pimp:

Seen him/Rocky about 4 times and the shows are always wild as ****.

That new Rocky sounds :pimp:.

Last edited:
When will people learn that going back in the past will almost never work.

You can't leave the culture (Pop Culture especially) for a decade and come back thinking people will be responsive. While Outkast are legends in Hip-Hop, they are not relevant to what's going on in the culture. Their name is much bigger than the actual demand that they have amongst music fans and followers of pop culture. Straight up, no one knew or cared about most of the records outkast did last night.

And while i'm singling out Outkast from last night, it could be any grand comeback performance from people who've left the culture. Nas, Outkast, Wu, Killer Mike, etc. Unless they have HITS that transcend pop culture (whcih one could argue that they don't. They have records that the deeeep hip hop community may know, but aside from a few of their most popular cuts, they don't) like a Jay-Z, or a Dr Dre and Snoop dogg, it's just not going to work to go back in time. Outkast is the trendy name to throw out there for music heads, but that kind of disguises their lack of relevance.

You can't leave the culture (Pop Culture especially) for a decade and come back thinking people will be responsive. While Outkast are legends in Hip-Hop, they are not relevant to what's going on in the culture. Their name is much bigger than the actual demand that they have amongst music fans and followers of pop culture. Straight up, no one knew or cared about most of the records outkast did last night.

And while i'm singling out Outkast from last night, it could be any grand comeback performance from people who've left the culture. Nas, Outkast, Wu, Killer Mike, etc. Unless they have HITS that transcend pop culture (whcih one could argue that they don't. They have records that the deeeep hip hop community may know, but aside from a few of their most popular cuts, they don't) like a Jay-Z, or a Dr Dre and Snoop dogg, it's just not going to work to go back in time. Outkast is the trendy name to throw out there for music heads, but that kind of disguises their lack of relevance.
I'm telling you, let them do shows where people paid to see them and it would be a totally different vibe.  The crowd not knowing or caring about the songs they performed last night had NOTHING to do with Outkast themselves--that's on the people.  Was Andre rusty?  Hell yeah.  But still, the lack of energy coming from the crowd after the first 3 or 4 songs was painfully obvious and it really looked like it affected him.  

Outkast will always be relevant to their hardcore fans, of which there are many out there.  And if they decide to reinvent themselves yet again and put out another album, I'm almost positive that their current day relevance will skyrocket.  They've always had a unique ability to do that, IMO.  

The main issue here is these festivals.  After such a long hiatus, performing in front of people who were in elementary school when you last had an album out (Idlewild doesn't count) isn't going to bode well for energy, vibe and overall perception from the folks in the crowd.  

Damn, no Banks or Muse stream tonight :stoneface:

All the hispter kids in Cali weren't getting down with Outkast.

I've never been to Coachella, but I'll never forget at Bonnaroo I befriended this group for the Radiohead show, and one of them was from LA. I asked him if had gone to Coachella and asked him to compare it to Bonnaroo, he said at this point that Coachella has gotten so mainstream, it's most people going because it's the cool thing to do, where at Roo there are way more people going for the music.

Now obviously thats not everyone, but I can see that being a pretty accurate statement.

That's a hipster thing to say from your Bonnaroo friend.

And while i'm singling out Outkast from last night, it could be any grand comeback performance from people who've left the culture. Nas, Outkast, Wu, Killer Mike, etc. Unless they have HITS that transcend pop culture (which one could argue that they don't. They have records that the deeeep hip hop community may know, but aside from a few of their most popular cuts, they don't) like a Jay-Z, or a Dr Dre and Snoop dogg, it's just not going to work to go back in time. Outkast is the trendy name to throw out there for music heads, but that kind of disguises their lack of relevance.

Sad yet true statement. Besides the fact that these festivals seem to be gear towards a different crowd (I've never been to a Coachella, so correct me if I'm wrong), but it's also the consumers and the artists themselves who have created this microwave here today gone tomorrow type feel in hip hop/rap (hence, the words "relevant"/"irrelevant" being an NT staple) to where once you're a vet, you're not respected anymore, unlike how you're very celebrated in your latter years in other genres.

I can't co sign none of this.

What does going back to the past even mean? In HIPHOP dudes earn STRIPES from puttin out WORK.

Stripes meaning these dudes ain't put out a real studio album since what 2003 thats 11 years ago yet they can still do a 40 date tour. Do about 2 hours of songs and not even blink.  The fact that Andre 3000 ain't never dropped an album but is still killing features and dudes are still interested in hearing it.

Music don't leave the culture that's why Snoop can perform songs from 20 years ago and it still will be poppin more than 95% what's out now.

As far as hits that transcend how did Miss Jackson, I like the way you move, Hey Ya, B.O.B, So Fresh so Clean not transcend pop culture? These songs wasn't even meant to go pop and wasn't goin by no formula to try and crossover. These were original ideas that went POP, they didn't need a crossover they created it on some Allen Iverson ****.

Outkast a trendy name now? 

Coachella don't dictate .wait let me stop

Just because some of these kids were 10 years old and younger when Outkast was droppin CLASSICS don't mean Outkast is irrelevant or a "trendy name"

Last edited:
Lauren Mayberry is too adorable for words
Wifey material. She is so cute

She needs to take over vocals completely...

And also leather shorts in that weather probably wasn't the greatest idea 
laugh.gif

EDIT

What is the dude doing..straight having seizures up there.

Or is that how people get down with the get down in Scotland?

Last edited:
Is nas being streamed tonight. ..haven't seen his named anywhere but I'm hoping I'm just over looking it and missed it somehow

man, jealous of everyone that's going to see Nas today |I

edit: or is it tomorrow?

Last edited:

I saw Nas last year at Governor's Ball for my first and only time so far, I've always heard people say he sucks live but I thought he was pretty damn good, didn't really miss any words, and seeing him do the illmatic cuts was pretty dope.

Lauren Mayberry is too adorable for words

Wifey material. She is so cute

She needs to take over vocals completely...

And also leather shorts in that weather probably wasn't the greatest idea :lol:  

EDIT

What is the dude doing..straight having seizures up there.

Or is that how people get down with the get down in Scotland?

Yea, dude doesn't deserve to have a mic in front of him. He killed the vibe of the whole set spazzing out like that :lol:

Live tonight, broadcast on Youtube tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom