Official Cooking Steak Thread

I've come to understand most dudes on NT or elsewhere don't know how to season or cook a steak

Sprinkle some lawry seasoning salt

168u803.gif

But he's one of "only a few really good chefs" that know how to cook a well done steak. He must know what he's talking about.

Zik, you're my boy...but I can't rock with your well done terrorist comments.

Meet me somewhere in NY so we can fight.

Lawry's salt though.  

C'mon son....that's some summer after freshman year of college, out of the dorms and living in a house, Saturday afternoon BBQ trying to impress your fly neighbors, struggle technique.  

I've personally never seen anyone use Lawry's on steaks.  Burgers?  All day.  But a steak?  Nah.  

Yall aint doing it right. Any seasoned salt would work really.

View media item 838600
:smokin

Zik, you're my boy...but I can't rock with your well done terrorist comments.
Meet me somewhere in NY so we can fight.
Ambush of squirrels for you man.
But he's one of "only a few really good chefs" that know how to cook a well done steak. He must know what he's talking about.
Never claimed I was a chef. I wasn't even the dude to bring up chefs and renowned chefs when I mentioned making a well done steak but nice try.
C'mon son....that's some summer after freshman year of college, out of the dorms and living in a house, Saturday afternoon BBQ trying to impress your fly neighbors, struggle technique.
I wouldn't know anything about that

Last edited:
Man, what is your agenda with proving well done steaks to be as good or better then medium rare steaks?

If it was all about seasoning, what's the point of getting a higher cut/grade of meat since it's all about the seasoning and not the flavor of the meat.

Not hating at all, I know people have different opinions and likes and that's what makes the world go round but don't yo trying to push your views on others and saying other people can't cook, don't know anything, etc just because they like their steaks a bit bloody.

I agree with everything you said until the last word - there's no blood in a steak. That blood all drained away after butchering the cow.

I think I posted about it in the first few pages. It's water and I think myoglobin (a protein).

Last edited:
Yea my boy works in the hotel business and always talked about how chefs feel disrespected when someone asks them for a "burnt steak." I tried medium well and it was special. I rarely eat beef but I wanted a steal about 2 months ago and got a bone-in ribeye from Texas Roadhouse and man that steak was vicious man. So yea, I won't do "burnt steak" anymore.

Zik is right though, it's really hard to "properly" cook a well done steak. Overcooking a steak and cooking it well done are two separate things. My parents like Well Done steaks, and my mom overcooks them. I grilled them a couple well done steaks and they were wondering why it was so juicy when there's no pink whatsoever in the steak. I use Charcoal to grill, so totally different from inside the house cooking. My first choice is Medium Rare/Rare steaks, but since I grill for a variety of friends/family, I do have to cook Well Done every so often.

The method I use is to prep a fresh batch of coals and cook the Medium Rare steaks first. Once the coals settle/die down from optimum heat, I put the other steaks on them. Start at the middle of the coal section and place steaks for 5 minutes. Then I'll rotate to get grill marks for another 5 minutes. After that, flip the steaks and repeat. Nothing too fancy or special, the main key is to make sure your coals don't flare up when you flip. But with the low amount of coals left, they should be fine. Another 5 minutes then 5 minutes rotated. Steaks should be firm to touch at this point. If they aren't. I would move them indirectly over the coals to the edges of the grill and close the lid and let them heat for a few minutes. Once that's done, let them rest for around 10 minutes. Shouldn't be any pink and a nice, brown inside that is full of juices.

Hardest part of grilling/cooking meat is to just leave the meat alone and let it cook. I remember I used to poke and move around meat on the grill all the time when I started. Patience is a virtue, especially when grilling meat.

Man, what is your agenda with proving well done steaks to be as good or better then medium rare steaks?

If it was all about seasoning, what's the point of getting a higher cut/grade of meat since it's all about the seasoning and not the flavor of the meat.

Not hating at all, I know people have different opinions and likes and that's what makes the world go round but don't yo trying to push your views on others and saying other people can't cook, don't know anything, etc just because they like their steaks a bit bloody.
I have no agenda. I said I like my steaks well done and as per usual a bunch of ppl who think they know better said that's wrong or I'm wasting the steak or that a "renowned" chef would laugh if I ordered that. **** I care about any of that. Only thing I added after that is if you haven't tasted a good well done steak it's cuz you're probably cooking it wrong or the chef cooked it wrong.

From there we can agree to disagree.

well done :x

is it true some restaurants put aside 'bad' cuts for when people order their steaks well done?

for those who like well done steak... do yall have to use mad steak sauce on your steak?

I have no agenda. I said I like my steaks well done and as per usual a bunch of ppl who think they know better said that's wrong or I'm wasting the steak or that a "renowned" chef would laugh if I ordered that. **** I care about any of that. Only thing I added after that is if you haven't tasted a good well done steak it's cuz you're probably cooking it wrong or the chef cooked it wrong.

From there we can agree to disagree.

I agree...I like my steak well done, i've tried every other cooked method, rare, medium rare, medium well.....rare and medium is like eating soft moist flesh akin to seafood to me....im good on that no thank you sir.

View media item 839876
I have to avoid this thread because it makes me go out and buy steaks. :lol:

Gonna try my hand at some carne asada for Taco Tuesday instead of the usual chicken or ground beef. Been marinating these bad boys for 6 hours....it's about to be on.

I was going to make it a long post describing the difference between hemoglobin and myglobin, but this isn't the science class thread.

This thread is killing me though, I'm not catholic and while I try to give up something for lent, it's never meat, my girl is giving up solid dinners for 40 days, so even though I want to go HAM and pick up steak for dinner tomorrow, I have to shop for 1 now.

Back
Top Bottom