Official DragonBall Z Thread. R.I.P Akira Toriyama. You will be missed

Straight up, just saw the movie tonight and this is exactly how I feel.

If I turn my blinders on, movie was fire. Great animation, funny scenes, and a humanized antagonist that isnt one-dimensional.

If I take my blinders off, the movie was okay at best with the animation and humor being the only real selling points.

I can focus on the power scaling itself and nothing else as my biggest gripe. I'll grant that Broly was shown to have an extremely high power level from the jump... But knowing what we know about how Saiyan transformations work and keeping in mind the sheer breadth of experience Vegeta and Goku now have... You take a dude that trained with his unremarkable 4-digit power level father on a planet with nothing but bugs and overgrown snake-dogs to compete with and he can match a post-ToP base Vegeta that has trained with and defeated literal Gods? Then again match and exceed a Super Saiyan Vegeta within a minute? Then Super Saiyan God Vegeta within another minute?

To speak nothing of Oozaru Broly making SSG Vegeta sub out just for Goku to go blow for blow with Oozaru Broly with Goku in his base form--The same Broly that was just pressuring Vegeta in SSG...

It just makes no sense. Dude skipped from being pre-destruction Namek Saga strong to being able to body Jiren and Beerus in what spanned maybe 4 in-universe hours. Idk about y'all but I cant just shut my brain off for the logical leaps in Dragon Ball storytelling to make sense anymore.

I thought Revenge of F was trash for this reason and Broly doesn't get a pass either. Why even waste time training Goku and Vegeta when dudes like Frieza and Broly are clearly written to have drastically more potential?

Too often it feels like Toriyama will scrap the continuity whenever it inconveniences him just so he can pitch his narrative and we're supposed to look the other way. Nah

They just need to give my mans Toyotaru the reins at this point; dude has spent the entire DBS manga cleaning up piss poor plot points

Won't argue any of your points because it's all valid however
Goku was getting whooped in his base form so I wouldn't say he was going blow for blow against Broly.

Straight up, just saw the movie tonight and this is exactly how I feel.

If I turn my blinders on, movie was fire. Great animation, funny scenes, and a humanized antagonist that isnt one-dimensional.

If I take my blinders off, the movie was okay at best with the animation and humor being the only real selling points.

I can focus on the power scaling itself and nothing else as my biggest gripe. I'll grant that Broly was shown to have an extremely high power level from the jump... But knowing what we know about how Saiyan transformations work and keeping in mind the sheer breadth of experience Vegeta and Goku now have... You take a dude that trained with his unremarkable 4-digit power level father on a planet with nothing but bugs and overgrown snake-dogs to compete with and he can match a post-ToP base Vegeta that has trained with and defeated literal Gods? Then again match and exceed a Super Saiyan Vegeta within a minute? Then Super Saiyan God Vegeta within another minute?

To speak nothing of Oozaru Broly making SSG Vegeta sub out just for Goku to go blow for blow with Oozaru Broly with Goku in his base form--The same Broly that was just pressuring Vegeta in SSG...

It just makes no sense. Dude skipped from being pre-destruction Namek Saga strong to being able to body Jiren and Beerus in what spanned maybe 4 in-universe hours. Idk about y'all but I cant just shut my brain off for the logical leaps in Dragon Ball storytelling to make sense anymore.

I thought Revenge of F was trash for this reason and Broly doesn't get a pass either. Why even waste time training Goku and Vegeta when dudes like Frieza and Broly are clearly written to have drastically more potential?

Too often it feels like Toriyama will scrap the continuity whenever it inconveniences him just so he can pitch his narrative and we're supposed to look the other way. Nah

They just need to give my mans Toyotaru the reins at this point; dude has spent the entire DBS manga cleaning up piss poor plot points

enh I dont think it's Toriyama, they cut like half an hour worth of script he submitted. I think that half hour of footage could've developped these ideas better. same thing with battle of gods.. it was two years into development before they got Toriyama on it so he could edit it and make it fit better with the whole of Dragon Ball.

he admits that 'super saiyan god' felt like an exaggeration to him (which means, it wasnt his original idea, it was presented to him)

and initially, the next Dragon Ball movie was supposed to be about Saiyan Origins and the story of the 1st Legendary Super Saiyan, Yamoshi.

but it seems like TOEI or Shueisha or whoever intercepted Toriyama's vision and told him nah we need a Broly movie because he's popular right now. So that changed the course of what he wanted to do. (probably saw a resurgence of popularity through Kale's appearance in TOP)

I'm more interested in that original Yamoshi movie Toriyama wanted to do than this edited, slimmed down Broly movie script. I think he was gonna involve U6 in it too, and go into Saiyan Cells and the Saiyan Beerus saw in his dream.

I remember reading somewhere that Toriyama really got involved in Super when it was Zamasu time, and thats exactly when Super really started getting turnt up, to me anyway. Idk how true this last statement is though.

Movie was dope! The Broly story was much different here than the previous Dbz kai Broly movie. I enjoyed it, fighting scenes were on point

Could the movie have used more character development, sure? Barduck, King Kold, Broly...what has changed since the tournament of power, etc.

The fighting was great. There was levity/comedic relief. A retelling of an old 90s tale. It’s new Dragon Ball.

I’m 42 years old. I never thought I’d go to the theater to watch an Anime movie. I did today.

Its still crazy to me how DB even had this type of resurgence. People have the opportunity to share the love for a show that shaped their childhood with their own children in a new and refreshing light.

Hmmm reading the reviews I will certainly be sure to catch it during matinee prices. If the story is as bad as people say no harm no foul, if it is that good. Great.

K. I’ll admit I forgot about this movie being about the first Saiyan God.

Yamoshi (sp). Honestly, it would’ve made more sense to do that movie then follow with Broly.

Just hoping for more Toriyama involvement. Let the man consult and advise you on his creation.

One thing I will say after seeing the movie a few times now is that I still definitely prefer the OG Broly to this one (for now)

I had the hype blinders on when I first saw it but after seeing it in theaters yesterday it became really easy to see that outside of the better backstory this new Broly had way less personality than OG Broly

Dude had just about as little dialogue as any other Broly before him and didn't utter a single word once the fighting kicked off. They managed to make this new Broly seem even more primitive than before

The OG Broly may not have been the deepest character but man, once the fighting kicked off and he started talking that **** while smacking everyone around was the gnarliest of stuff

The biggest difference between the two that I think works in OG Broly's favor more is that when he was fighting he was always conscious of his actions had general control over himself. He was truly sinister. While the new Broly literally lost his mind and was just a raging idiot with daddy issues the whole time really

I get that this new Broly isn't really supposed to be evil and more of a sympathetic character but still, the OG one just speaks way more volumes to me than the new one

Side note, I knew it wouldn't happen all along but I feel the movie would've been way better if Gogeta had really killed him. I don't see any rhyme or reason for Broly to be included in future plot since it was insisted that he doesn't even like to fight but thats just me

All in all, even though Broly was dumber than a box of rocks in this movie, I think they did a good job of leaving the door wide open for him in terms of character growth

This new Broly isn’t bad by any means, but the OG still takes the cake imo for now

I also still don't like, nor do I think anyone should be stronger than Beerus though. At least not for a long long time

/rant

Last edited:
One thing I will say after seeing the movie a few times now is that I still definitely prefer the OG Broly to this one (for now)

I had the hype blinders on when I first saw it but after seeing it in theaters yesterday it became really easy to see that outside of the better backstory this new Broly had way less personality than OG Broly

Dude had just about as little dialogue as any other Broly before him and didn't utter a single word once the fighting kicked off. They managed to make this new Broly seem even more primitive than before

The OG Broly may not have been the deepest character but man, once the fighting kicked off and he started talking that **** while smacking everyone around was the gnarliest of stuff

The biggest difference between the two that I think works in OG Broly's favor more is that when he was fighting he was always conscious of his actions had general control over himself. He was truly sinister. While the new Broly literally lost his mind and was just a raging idiot with daddy issues the whole time really

I get that this new Broly isn't really supposed to be evil and more of a sympathetic character but still, the OG one just speaks way more volumes to me than the new one

Side note, I knew it wouldn't happen all along but I feel the movie would've been way better if Gogeta had really killed him. I don't see any rhyme or reason for Broly to be included in future plot since it was insisted that he doesn't even like to fight but thats just me

All in all, even though Broly was dumber than a box of rocks in this movie, I think they did a good job of leaving the door wide open for him in terms of character growth

I still don't like, nor do I think anyone should be stronger than Beerus. At least not for a long long time

/rant
Haven't seen it yet but I am genuinely surprised by this post. I thought the overwhelming majority would feel the opposite of this.

Haven't seen it yet but I am genuinely surprised by this post. I thought the overwhelming majority would feel the opposite of this.
I liked this new Broly way more than the OG and I enjoy the OG. Better back story, Broly's increasing power throughout the movie made more sense. Broly didn't talk about bunch of **** but where would he have learned to? Didn't talk to anyone but his dad his entire life. Jiren barely talked **** during the actual fight with Goku or anyone else. Broly might be an idiot but so is Goku...

i dont like the whole sub vs dub **** but i gotta say, im rewatching Z and im at the Namek Arc right now... and Freeza's voice was SOOOO SINISTER back then. Freeza's sub voice actor is definitely much better at playing the villain than the current dub VA.

I need to see this movie in sub.

The biggest positive I can get from this movie is... Dragon Ball's future will be interesting if the anime continues. Dragon Ball with Broly, Jiren, maybe Zamasu and Future Trunks find a way to come back, Majins, Universe 6 Planet Sadala, Vegeta meeting the King, Truffles from Universe 3 or whatever. There's a lot of potential

i dont like the whole sub vs dub **** but i gotta say, im rewatching Z and im at the Namek Arc right now... and Freeza's voice was SOOOO SINISTER back then. Freeza's sub voice actor is definitely much better at playing the villain than the current dub VA.

I need to see this movie in sub.

The biggest positive I can get from this movie is... Dragon Ball's future will be interesting if the anime continues. Dragon Ball with Broly, Jiren, maybe Zamasu and Future Trunks find a way to come back, Majins, Universe 6 Planet Sadala, Vegeta meeting the King, Truffles from Universe 3 or whatever. There's a lot of potential
Chris Ayres is a phenomnial Frieza

Put some respect on that mans name

I liked this new Broly way more than the OG and I enjoy the OG. Better back story, Broly's increasing power throughout the movie made more sense. Broly didn't talk about bunch of **** but where would he have learned to? Didn't talk to anyone but his dad his entire life. Jiren barely talked **** during the actual fight with Goku or anyone else. Broly might be an idiot but so is Goku...
I'm not knocking anyone's experience and I'm glad you liked it. Again I haven't seen it yet but based on what we all know the only thing I had an issue with is him not being a true psychotic villain. I mean the OG version was border line scary and his temperment made some sense to me based on his trauma. Thats why I never tripped over Goku's appearance or his cry's as a baby being a trigger for Broly. Mentally he was broken unless he was fighting and even then he demented but I understand people thinking it was silly which is why I'm not even arguing him becoming an eventual good guy. I mean they gave him a girl friend so its coming, I just thought I was in the minority

No

Dude above just worded it wrong

The Broly movies have never been redone outside of touching up the animation

Yeah not sure when or what it was but I saw something, pretty sure with subtitles, where the reason Broli had beef with goku because when they were babies, goku would always cry. Does anyone know what im talking about?

Yeah not sure when or what it was but I saw something, pretty sure with subtitles, where the reason Broli had beef with goku because when they were babies, goku would always cry. Does anyone know what im talking about?
Yeah that’s the original Broly movie but it wasn’t a Kai movie

$_35.JPG

To each their own I suppose but I love almost everything about this movie. I like the direction they’re taking broly because they didn’t just add depth, they added direction to him and his personality. Without ruining the movie for people that haven’t seen it, the biggest difference in this broly and the old one is that when it came down to it, the old broly wasn’t just out of control, he was inherently evil. That snicker/smirk he always makes when he’s pushing a z fighters head through a mountain shows that he enjoyed the destruction he was causing. That’s great for a short non cannon movie but the old broly is probably the most dead end characters in the dragon ball universe. The new broly is nothing like that, and in honesty I think he parralels a younger goku in a lot of ways personality wise. Having him as another potential ally when sh*t hits the fan will be awesome to see, especially considering the fact that they keep hinting at the stronger fighters in other universes. If done right, Broly can be just like Escanor from seven deadly sins, and in my opinion escanors character is done extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom