::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

so might as well pick up some gear on the discount. Which sites has 50% off USMNT gear right now? 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Look at the TV viewership for the EPL the past two years. Look at the viewership for USA friendlies and qualifiers, Champions League, El Clasico, etc. The soccer landscape in this country is almost unrecognizable from just four years ago. In hindsight it will be unrecognizable again in 2018.

You think soccer is here to stay for the US and it's fans?

Not yet. But this was the biggest boost ever.

I say by 2022 WC it'll be expectations to actually make noise.

Look at the TV viewership for the EPL the past two years. Look at the viewership for USA friendlies and qualifiers, Champions League, El Clasico, etc. The soccer landscape in this country is almost unrecognizable from just four years ago. In hindsight it will be unrecognizable again in 2018.

Definitely

Like a baby fresh out of the womb, soccer culture in America is in it's infancy.

Mannnn, I hope so. If soccer was a more popular/lucrative sport in the US, we'd be able to fare a lot better than we are. Imagine if some of the American athletes that are in the NBA, NFL, olympics, etc. honed their skills in soccer as youths :x

so might as well pick up some gear on the discount. Which sites has 50% off USMNT gear right now? :nerd:  
:nerd:

:nerd:

I need the navy pre-match jersey

Like a baby fresh out of the womb, soccer culture in America is in it's infancy.

I'm a convert. I got in to it about 3 years ago when I saw Man City play the LA Galaxy in a friendly. I watched Mario Balotelli try a back-heel and get pulled from the game. From that moment on, Balotelli became my favorite player and Man City became my favorite squad. I don't consider myself a bandwagon fan because I knew next to nothing about the sport before seeing that friendly. It's such a fun game to watch.

All this being said, I don't remember Americans turning out in droves to watch the WC games like it was over the past couple of weeks. It's been INSANE. I'm glad the USMNT experienced great success in Brazil because they will lure in the casual fan.

I will say this tho...I can't watch MLS. The level of play is depressing in comparison to watching some other leagues. I can't stand the skill or pace. If the US really wants to build its product, the MLS HAS to improve. I know it's made progress since it's inception back in the 90's, but there is a long way to go. We have to have marquee players in their prime wanting to play here. I hope that day comes.

would be very interesting if USAs best athletes played soccer. 
nerd.gif
 i dont think soccer will ever take over here until the US soccer athletes start getting paid comparably to the NFL/NBA/MLB.

definitely won me over during this world cup. was exciting as f!

Last edited:
Disappointed at the result today... Howard did everything he could.

But I was surprised they even got out of the group stage.. so I'm not devastated by any means. Slowly but surely, they're getting there and the soccer landscape is changing in this country, and for that I'm happy.

Speaking of America's best athletes, Google Bill Simmons on Allen Iverson and soccer.

So the USA gear will actually go on sale?

My local Nike store never puts stuff like that on sale I don't think

I don't think I've ever seen a sale at Nike Roosevelt Field :lol:

They'll be on nike.com clearance after the World Cup if i had to take a guess.

I'm a morning person so i'll turn on espn to watch some EPL games. If i'm bored and a UEFA game is on i'll watch some of that. As far as more Americans following soccer more now, it probably will increase but not sure how significantly. Still amazes me to see idiots on sports stations complaining how futbol is boring and diving is bad yet they talk about baseball and the flopping in basketball.

Last edited:
it's a lot easier for americans to get into it this year. games were on at like 6am on the west coast or even earlier in 2010 :lol:

Great run by the US. Proud how they competed but its obvious we lack individual talent. Star power makes a huge difference. Now would things be different with Jozy in there? We'll never know. Regardless, very inspiring play, that probably churned out a few new fans.

As for the state of futbol in the US, like someone said before, its in its infancy. We just lack the style of play and talent to really take away interest from the other major sports.

Its great to see the country back our players like this, its never been seen before, but I think very understated reasons for the fan support this WC belong to :

1) Social media. One thing picks up steam and its over. You got girls who hate sports talking bout "lets go team usa !!" Decked in american flag gear pasted all over instagram and facebook. It becomes the popular thing to search up, popular topic of discussion. People in this country get caught up in the latest wave, and eventually contribute to it like no other nation. The internet was around last WC but hashtags and just general d-riding and the sharing of information wasnt as crisp, wasnt in full effect.

2)Location/timing. No more 7:00 AM EST games. This WC is bout an hour ahead of the east coast, compared to that of the 6 Hr time diferences in south africa and Germany. The games are easier to catch. Bars and restaurants can showcase games at times more in tune with american leisurely habits (happy hour). Thus making it more of an event. Something you could plan as an after work thing. And you know how much we love to have excuses to come together as groups and drink. Rooting for team usa is was a noble cause.More viewers. More steam for the machine.

The level of play the USA exhibited was also a factor. You could only cheer on some pathetic chumps for only so long. This team had some talent that makes you wonder "what if".

All in all, i really dont have TOO MUCH faith in soccer growing rapidly. I hope im wrong, but i think what we had here was a case of world cup fever, pushed forth by social media. its been an amazing world cup though, and if this tournament hasnt showed the american people how beautiful this game is, im afraid nothing will.

Back
Top Bottom