Official Guitar Players Thread vol. Beginner - Intermediate - Advanced

Whatsup NT, I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 years or a bit longer, and I just realized that it would be cool if we had a guitar thread in the General section. Here, we can post what songs we learned, what hidden gems we find online, classics that we love to play, tips on how to play or learn them, etc. I find that it's hard to find songs to learn when you learn all of the ones that you like. There are some songs out there that are great to play but you may not have heard it yet.

This thread could be helpful too, because maybe some of you guys want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play. The older players can point you in the right direction as far as picking out your guitar. (Brands, wood type, strings, etc.) and even give you tips for practicing / specific songs to learn for impressing the ladies?
wink.gif

Acoustic OR Electric players are welcome to the thread of course.

Like I said, I've only been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 years give or take, and I have an Alvarez AD410 with Elixir strings on it.
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_582260.jpeg

The list price on the guitar was 380, but I got the guitar on sale brand new for 180.
happy.gif

I find that Elixir strings are amazing and I refuse to use any other string brand.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

this is dope. we should make a music theory thread too

Glad you like it man. Hopefully it keeps going strong. Yeah a music history thread would be amazing, and I would start it if I knew enough to.
laugh.gif

You play guitar?

Originally Posted by spizike231

Glad you like it man. Hopefully it keeps going strong. Yeah a music history thread would be amazing, and I would start it if I knew enough to.
laugh.gif

You play guitar?

i would like to learn. im a piano guy. i need to learn more about theory too tho. im sure we have at least a few experts on this site tho. 

Yeah you should be real good with your ear if you play piano. I need a TONNN of work on my musical theory, but I mainly learn from tabs right now. Yours shouldn't be too bad if you are okay at piano.

Trynna learn acoustic or electric?

for those of you just starting, dont be discouraged at the start, just keep developing those calluses!

Just started playing bass guitar a month ago. I'm using fingers and haven't touched a pick. It's really a lot of fun even though I suck 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by spizike231

laugh.gif

You play guitar?

i would like to learn. im a piano guy. i need to learn more about theory too tho. im sure we have at least a few experts on this site tho. 
A music theory thread would be great. I composed a piece of classical music for one of my classes last semester. Learned a lot. It would be nice to talk about that kind of stuff here on NT

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Just started playing bass guitar a month ago. I'm using fingers and haven't touched a pick. It's really a lot of fun even though I suck 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
we all been there man. Even after 3 years when I play my guitar in front of people they're like
eek.gif
and I'm thinking "man I suck.
tired.gif
" Keep playing and you'll get a lot better trust me it's all about practice
happy.gif

LEARN HOW TO READ MUSIC. dont just learn from tabs or youtube videos. well i mean yeah learning those ways are a good way of getting the skill down. but get the knowledge down and learn how to sight read music.

Originally Posted by jayswisz

LEARN HOW TO READ MUSIC. dont just learn from tabs or youtube videos. well i mean yeah learning those ways are a good way of getting the skill down. but get the knowledge down and learn how to sight read music.

I'm going to try eventually, just don't have the money for classes and the time ATM.
ohwell.gif

Instead of posting again, I'll add another post to this.

I've been really feeling blues guitar lately, I think im gonna try to work on my solo skills a little bit. Can't stop listening to The King.
pimp.gif

I just purchased an acoustic guitar earlier this year. I've got prior experience on a guitar, so I'll need all the help possible. 
I'm considering purchasing an instructional DVD, but am not sure how effective it would be. And yes, I definitely want to learn how to read music, and not just know how to play by ear.

I used to play a lot a few years ago and then jobs and college got in the way of any playing time for me. I'm looking to learn again though. This thread is a good idea OP.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

Heading to berklee college of music this summer btw to play
pimp.gif

5 week or 12 week program?

5 week. Have u been there?
My good friend is graduating next month. Great facilities, the"campus" if you can call it that is really spread out. Nice place though, except Boston sucks
laugh.gif

in.

didnt read, will later.

ive been wanting to learn musical theory, jazz chords, chord variations and diff licks but it seems like ive hit a plateau lol.
ive also wanted to pick up a electric and a piano/keyboard but i have no time.

Originally Posted by wildmoodswings

I just purchased an acoustic guitar earlier this year. I've got prior experience on a guitar, so I'll need all the help possible. 
I'm considering purchasing an instructional DVD, but am not sure how effective it would be. And yes, I definitely want to learn how to read music, and not just know how to play by ear.

An instructional DVD is not as good as someone personally teaching you, the DVD can't answer all of your questions, but if you don't have someone who can help you then I usually go on YouTube or figure it out myself.

Reading music is a must for advanced players, but so is playing by ear. Playing by ear is a really good talent to have and it took me song long to even get it down slightly. Some are more gifted there than others.

Congrats on picking up an acoustic btw, know what type of music you wanna play?
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by theDEEK

I used to play a lot a few years ago and then jobs and college got in the way of any playing time for me. I'm looking to learn again though. This thread is a good idea OP.
pimp.gif

Thanks fam
smokin.gif
I sat here for a few minutes deciding if I should post it
laugh.gif
glad I did.

Back
Top Bottom