OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Welp, this post will be about volleyball, so feel free to tune it out. 
laugh.gif

I assistant coach a college mens team and a high school guys team, as well as head coach a U18 squad. Womens volleyball is so different when compared to mens; I wouldnt really be a great fit. Especially being a middle position-focused coach, I would have to learn completely different systems. Not to mention the rage my girlfriend would have for me coaching college girls. 
laugh.gif
 I started for 4 years as a middle in college and have played for 15+ years so it's a pretty big passion of mine. 

Volleyball is pretty big in Canada. Although the American National team is alot better than ours, the University and college leagues in Canada tend to be alot better up here. I was at a clinic that had Hugh McCutcheon (US womens National team coach until 2012) speak and he said that the US had just under 1000 mens full ride scholarships in volleyball in the US in Div 1 compared to like 30,000+ in womens. 

Its a sport (especially mens) that has a stigma of being not as masculine as other sports, but it has some of the greatest pure athletes in the world playing. It's not unusual to see guys with 37-40 inch verticals. 

Chase Budinger, for example, could have been one of the greatest volleyball players ever had he gone that route instead of going to the NBA. 

Last edited:
Welp, this post will be about volleyball, so feel free to tune it out. :lol:

I assistant coach a college mens team and a high school guys team, as well as head coach a U18 squad. Womens volleyball is so different when compared to mens; I wouldnt really be a great fit. Especially being a middle position-focused coach, I would have to learn completely different systems. Not to mention the rage my girlfriend would have for me coaching college girls. :lol:  I started for 4 years as a middle in college and have played for 15+ years so it's a pretty big passion of mine. 

Volleyball is pretty big in Canada. Although the American National team is alot better than ours, the University and college leagues in Canada tend to be alot better up here. I was at a clinic that had Hugh McCutcheon (US womens National team coach until 2012) speak and he said that the US had just under 1000 mens full ride scholarships in volleyball in the US in Div 1 compared to like 30,000+ in womens. 

Its a sport (especially mens) that has a stigma of being not as masculine as other sports, but it has some of the greatest pure athletes in the world playing. It's not unusual to see guys with 37-40 inch verticals. 

Chase Budinger, for example, could have been one of the greatest volleyball players ever had he gone that route instead of going to the NBA. 

a simple yes or no would have sufficed, bro....

:lol: just kidding. that's actually pretty interesting. i never figured it'd be different systems between boys and girls volleyball. and had no idea it was huge in Canada. pretty dope that you get to coach a sport you love. wish i went that route :lol:

Welp, this post will be about volleyball, so feel free to tune it out. :lol:

I assistant coach a college mens team and a high school guys team, as well as head coach a U18 squad. Womens volleyball is so different when compared to mens; I wouldnt really be a great fit. Especially being a middle position-focused coach, I would have to learn completely different systems. Not to mention the rage my girlfriend would have for me coaching college girls. :lol:  I started for 4 years as a middle in college and have played for 15+ years so it's a pretty big passion of mine. 

Good stuff, man. I was just busting chops. Thanks for the insight.

Logan Tom was bae during the Olympics. Appreciate and respect the talent it takes to play volleyball at a high level, I'm terrible recreationally. Applies to indoor and beach.

Not too familiar with American geography... but is that Alabama? Why do they hate the Canucks? 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
There are maybe 5 people in Alabama that probably even understood the question. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Why the hell would Jersey hate Boston? :lol:

roll.gif
 BC, Ontario, Quebec and Alberta are accurate. But I think I could do a better version than this. 

Last edited:
my face got JACKED up tonight at hockey. took a high stick to the jaw/cheek area...stitches and the whole nine. dude's stick must have been chipped cause it gave me a serious gash almost an inch long. it's in my beard line, so hopefully the hair grows back. looking pretty ridiculous right now though :lol:

Last edited:
Those are the ones you're either so happy you have a visor, or make you go out and buy one the next day.

High-stick isnt always stopped by a visor, but any face injury makes me rethink not wearing one. 

Last edited:
Winnipeg? I'm surprised I didn't see the Leafs up there 

nah think about it.

Leafs and Montreal are the only two teams that have a national following, their fans exist in every province, they may hate each other but they BOTH hate the bruins so logically thats going to have the most votes.

plus

The Habs-Leaf rivalry is overstated and overrated TODAY.

it once represented something larger than hockey; cultural, religious, the socio economic impact of a being a francophone(french speaking) person in Canada.

Those factors don't really exist anymore.

I think both fan bases hate the Bruins more, Toronto at one point might have said they hated Ottawa more, until that game 7 debacle.

Last edited:
Two things. 

1. THE WORST Canada jersey I have ever seen, including the Pink womens ones from the 80's.

2. I didn't know Motorola Krazr's could take video.

Dude got so hyped and killed the audio haha, are those friendly matches before WJC? Or roster selection games?

started planning my annual road trip to catch the bruins on 2-3 games with my best friend. looking at ONE the following:

October: Wings, Habs, and Sabres
November: Leafs, Habs
January: Stars, Avs
February: Blues, Hawks

definitely want to catch a game at the Joe before it closes, but that's not happening for a couple years still, right? we're leaning towards the January or February trips. we're doing that whole, "watch your team play in every opposing arena" thing. there's a couple monster west coast trips that would be awesome but doesn't work out this year with deadlines at work.

DSA, let me know if you swing through Toronto at all.

Be glad give you guys a tour of the city's finest watering holes.

Back
Top Bottom