Official Jazz thread

Robert Glasper & Lionel Loueke (Live @ Jazz A La Villette Paris). Herbie Hancock - Sonrisa & Trust Me

Just came across this. Wow. Covering Herbie Hancock's Sonrisa (or Trust Me)...

Soil & Pimp Sessions - Suffocation & Krush

Haven't posted these fellas on here in a minute...These guys just play in a style that kinetic, frenetic, loud, & brash ...Love dude screaming at the end of Suffocation...

Last edited:
Sleep Walker - Eclipse & Five

Posted this group several times with songs featuring Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon). Since I posted some more Soil & Pimp Sessions, posted some more Sleep Walker...

Current listen: Hank Mobley - Split Feelin's

Soil & Pimp Sessions - Funky Goldman & Pop Korn

Some mo...Groovin' to this while waiting for some reports to run & work on some spread sheets...

Dave Brubeck - Mr. Broadway

RIP...Brubeck lived a long life. Hope it was a good life. This is actually one of my favorite songs by him. It was the theme from a TV show starring Craig Stevens (aka Peter Gunn). Also was used in the beat below....Take Five was also sampled in the St. Germain song Rose Rouge....

Dave Brubeck - Softly, William, Softly & For all We Know

Some more songs that are on my iPhone that I'm playing in memoriam...

DC's Ben Williams & Emcee John Robinson put together a Lee Morgan tribute called The Lee Morgan Story available on iTunes...They also put on a show at the Le Poisson Rouge (NYC) on 11/29/12...Here is some related material....The last vid contains some footage of everyone jamming on Morgan's classic The Sidewinder...

Last edited:
The Lee Morgan Story f. Ben Williams & John Robinson Produced by Revive Music from REVIVEmusic on Vimeo.

The Lee Morgan Story f. Ben Williams & John Robinson Produced by Revive Music
Lee Morgan is remembered as one of the greatest trumpet players to ever grace the hallowed halls of jazz. In his short lifetime, he managed to record over 25 albums, several of which are still considered classics, and have influenced innumerable musicians to hit the scene since his death. Concord Records recording artist Ben Williams is one of those artists. Celebrated as a bassist and composer, he recently released his first record, State of Art (2011). The disc features a track entitled “The Lee Morgan Story,” which is just that – a four-minute tune that tells the story of Morgan’s life from beginning to end. New York-based emcee John Robinson supplies the lyrics, while renowned trumpeter Christian Scott complements Robinson’s rhymes with an expansive and continuous solo unfolding in the background. Williams, in tribute to Morgan’s legacy, has written a slew of new and exciting arrangements of Morgan’s classic music for this special performance with Robinson and a slew of notable musicians.

John Robinson – MC
Raydar Ellis – MC
Leron Thomas – Trumpet
Ben Williams – Bass
Justin Brown – Drums
Marc Cary – Piano

Last edited:
Just heard about Mr Brubeck. I wish I had more of his albums on my laptop. Just listening to "Time Out" right now.
Favorite song from the album other than Take 5 is Kathy's Waltz. Sad to hear about his passing

Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine

Chet owned this song. This might be my favorite version of his...Was featured on the Let's Get Lost soundtrack. His voice/timbre are more harsh than previous years but his hard livin' can be heard & more importantly felt in his vocals...I really like that it's kind of a flawed vocal & trumpet playing...

Takuya Kuroda - Jafro

This is a Japanese expat living in NYC now. He's supposed to have a new album called Bitter & High, but I haven't been able to find the CD locally...Guess I'll have to order it on the internets...Also included a day in the life vid I found on YouTube because I like seeing behind the scenes stuffs & thought you guys might like to see it too...

Last edited:
Stacey Kent - So Nice & Raconte Moi

My in-laws had one her her CDs playing when we went to dinner there the other night....Some of you guys might like her...

Charlie Haden - Ill Wind (ft. Norah Jones)

Eliane Elias - Light My Fire

A jazz interpretation of the Doors classic..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom