Official Jazz thread

It's been a while.

John Coltrane - Summertime

Cold here in the mid Atlantic region of the states...Can't wait until spring...

Last edited:
Bill Evans Trio - My Foolish Heart

Added this to the CD I'm making for my girl, it sounds so beautiful.

^ Good choice. 

Any drummers in the house?

You can tell the he's using brushes, but at the end of each bar (I think), he mixes in some, what sounds like, regular sticks on a snare-drum.  How does that work?

Haha, no biggie. Just something I noticed today... 
laugh.gif

Jose James - Vanguard (Highline Ballroom, NYC, 1/23/13)

Featuring Harlem's Kris Bowers on keys... This is one of Jose James' new songs from his forth coming album...

Sinner P-
The drummer maybe using the other end of his brushes to get the harder hit on the drums... Seen it done many times but I can't say for certain if that is what's being done on the track you posted...

Wes-
Have you played some stuff for your girl? If so how did she like what she heard so far?

Duke Ellington & John Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood & My Little Brown Book

You "might could" include this song... It was on the Love Jones soundtrack (& in the movie)... I've posted these before. Also liked My Little Brown Book from the same album. We played both songs at our wedding...

Last edited:
Sinner P-
The drummer maybe using the other end of his brushes to get the harder hit on the drums... Seen it done many times but I can't say for certain if that is what's being done on the track you posted...
Yeah, I considered that too, but from what I remember, the end of brushes usually have this metal-piece that's used to retract the brushes.  I've usually seen drummers use that metal-piece on cymbals rather than on the snare.  Of course, I'm probably completely wrong here! LOL

Or... 1 hand with a brush and 1 hand with a stick?  Lol... whatever... it's no biggie.

All this mixtape talk for Wes reminds me of that scene in Jerry Maguire... LOL.

Incidentally, the nanny said it was Coltrane-Davis live in Stockholm, but when they played the tape, it was actually Mingus! 

Can anyone put me on to some Jazz, really just started listening and don't know where to start. Took a Jazz history course over the summer and this is one of the songs my professor played for us. LOVE it. Anything similar?

^ We always welcome new jazz fans...

Since you like Coltrane, why not start off with him?  

Blue Trane is arguably one of the greatest jazz albums in history.  Certainly a must-have in my opinion.

I posted this a while back... hope it's useful.

^ Always nice to see new jazz-listeners.  I guess, you should try to sample all the different types of jazz... standards, acid-jazz/fusion, contemporary jazz, etc... as well as big bands, smaller groups (trios, quartets, quintets, etc), solo acts, etc... just to see what you like.  

Of course, IMO, there are the must-have albums for any jazz fan...

Here are a few...

51UVX5HKIiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

410BVK4BZAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61B6e-SkJ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

29c0224128a064660282c010.L._AA300_.jpg

Thanks Sinner. Will def check that album out, my apologies for not reading through the thread and finding out as I haven't had much time to do so. Jazz is so soothing, I'm mad I didn't get into it sooner :lol:

^ All good.

The stuff I posted is from the 50-60's, but it ultimately comes down to personal preference... you might like some later stuff from the 70's which is funkier... or current stuff.  Try to sample as much as you can to at least find out what you like.

Not sure if it's been shared already, but I stayed in San Antonio for a few years and was happy to come a good station while there:  KRTU 91.7 FM.  You can listem to them online and they also have a program schedule with their shows' playlists for each week.

http://web.krtu.org/x4165.xml

They also allow you to listen to the shows from the past.  YOu can stream the m3u playlists on Windows Media Player (or media player of your choice) and save the files as an mp3 if you choose too.

Soil & Pimp Sessions - Funky Goldman

Good to see some new guys in the thread...

Great Christian Scott interview.

Christian Scott - Who They Wish I Was

This & Branford Marsalis' were my favorite jazz releases last year (along with Luciana Souza 2 albums). This brother Scott is the best young dude out there right now & by far the most imaginative.

Branford Marsalis - The Mighty Sword

Last edited:
John Coltrane and Duke Ellington - Angelica

Ellington with Coltrane's quartet minus McCoy Tyner - Jimmy Garrison on bass, Elvin Jones on drums. Coltrane's quartet was on of the top 2 of all time.

Branford Marsalis - In the Crease

I've posted this song/performance before but I never get tired of it. I just listened to this three times in a row. Aside from being a stellar musician, Branford can pick musicians like a mother...Joe Calderazzo on piano, Eric Revis on bass, & Justin Faulkner on drums. The rythm that Revis & Faulkner lay down is killer. These 3 lay it up for Branford like Barca does for Messi... I hope he tours & plays around my way because I definitely want to catch this band live. 4 MFs playing indeed.

Last edited:
Esperanza Spalding: Ponta de Areia

The rhythm/groove in this song is nice. Only a bassist like Spalding could come up with it....So subtle but fire....

Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk

RIP... Musician, fellow with 3 masters degrees (1 from Manhattan School of Music, & 2 from Columbia), college professor at several schools including Howard, Rutgers, & Cornell, Law degree & doctorate from Columbia.

Back
Top Bottom