Official Jazz thread

Wes, how's that tape coming along?

Grant Green Down Here On The Ground (ft. Dianne Reeves - The Ummah Remix)

This just played on my iPhone while in shuffle mode. It's a remix done by Ali Shaheed, Q-Tip, & J Dilla. I've posted this Grant Green song before which has been sampled by many groups most notably a A Tribe Called Quest on Vibes & Stuff.

Wes-
I was wondering the same thing as Sinner P. You dropping the jazz mix tape on Valentine's right?

A Tribe Called Quest - Vibes and Stuff

Grant Green - Down Here On The Ground

Next Collective - Africa (D'Angelo cover) & No Church In The Wild (Kanye & Jay Z cover)

Can't believe I've never posted this group. They've got a new EP coming out soon from Concord Records. It's a collective of artist featuring my man Christian Scott, DC native Ben Williams, Gerald Clayton, Matt Stevens, Jamire Williams, Kris Bowers, and Walter Smith III (with producer Chris Dunn). I'm very excited for this release. I also included a preview vid. Jouir

Ninety Miles - City Sunrise (Live At Cubadisco)

I've posted this group before (another on Concord Records). I love jazz that has Latin rhythms. Group features Christian Scott (again), Stefon Harris, & David Sanchez.

Posted this before, but I just love this song and the piccolo solo was just awesome. 

Darryl Reeves - Dillaquarium Mixtape

Reeves dropped a free mixtape via the link below, but I think you need a FB account to DL. If you don't have a FB & want to listen, the songs are available in spoiler mode below.

http://dropify.com/darrylreeves/mixtapes/darrylreevesthedillaquariummixtape-2

Darryl Reeves - Fantastic

Darryl Reeves - She Said

Darryl Reeves - Star of Detroit

Darryl Reeves - Upper Egypt

Darryl Reeves - Dreamy

Last edited:
Stanley Turrentine - Summertime (Live at Minton's)

Stanley Turrentine (s)
Horace Parlan (p)
Grant Green (g)
George Tucker (b)
Al Harewood (d)

The Next Collective - Cover Art

This just dropped yesterday. I mentioned this at the top of the page. Been listening to it this morning & I like it. This group consists of DC native Ben Williams, Christian Scott, Gerald Clayton, Matt Stevens, Jamire Williams, Kris Bowers, & Walter Smith III.

The album is called Cover Art because all the songs are covers from Bon Iver, Drake, N.E.R.D, Little Dragon, & Jay Z/Kanye West...

John Coltrane - I'll Wait and Pray

Alternate take from the Giant Steps sessions... Although released much later on, these alternate takes show Coltrane was already experimenting with middle eastern rhythms, melodic leaps, modal runs, & upper-register saxophone strains.

:lol: So I think I finally figured out why I like jazz... I just found out tonight that Mr Rogers Neighborhood (a show that was an integral part of my childhood) featured live jazz throughout the show! Yep, piano virtuoso Johnny Costa and a live band did all the instrumentation for the show right there on the set

Little did I know as a kid that the appreciation for jazz was being ingrained into me for life. Supposedly Branford Marsalis called Mr Rogers Neighborhood the "greatest live jazz show on TV"

I'm going back and watching some old episodes now, and Costa's playing is pretty damn great. Dude was really rocking out on the piano as if it was a normal live set

For ex listen to the intro, and outro (at 26:20)

Anyways just thought I'd share that for other people who watched the show as kids. Kind of a cool "full circle" thing to realize about my childhood.

Last edited:
pimp.gif
  Man, I'd rep you 10 times if I could! Huge part of my childhood too! Had no idea it was all live!!!  I guess subconsciously it had that impact on me too. Great to rewatch it now just to appreciate the jazz. 

Robert Glasper - Golden Lady

Stevie Wonder cover...One mic, one take... Just piano & bass....

Nice post DT43...

Branford Marsalis Quartet - The Mighty Sword

Since you mentioned Branford... I've been listening to this album heavily. Perfect music for Sunday mornings when I'm cooking breakfast for my wife & son...

Last edited:
Soulive - Tuesday Night Squad

Nice post SinnerP...

Some Thursday morning funkiness...

Joshua Redman - Jazz Crimes & Alone in the Morning

Back
Top Bottom