**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

I'm not old enough for the run LL had in the 80s but I heard about it from old heads and his run in the 90s was no joke. He paved the way for a lot of cats. I'm not saying I put all those people ahead of Kendrick either, just saying he's not top 10. That's crazy as hell to say.

Lupe is definitely a better rapper and I'm not even a big fan of Lupe and I prefer Kendrick's music over his.

I'm not old enough for the run LL had in the 80s but I heard about it from old heads and his run in the 90s was no joke. He paved the way for a lot of cats. I'm not saying I put all those people ahead of Kendrick either, just saying he's not top 10. That's crazy as hell to say.

Lupe is definitely a better rapper and I'm not even a big fan of Lupe and I prefer Kendrick's music over his.

Lupe had at least 2 duds though and only have 6 albums.

Lol thats a tired argument that im mot going to get into in the kendrick thread.

Thats my personal list and i think kendrick belongs

I'm old enough to remember. LL held his own for 12 years and with FIRE music and dared anybody to battle him. I'd light this thread up with a few videos out of his catalog, but this is a Kendrick thread.

Last edited:
MY LEFT STROKE JUST WENT VIRAL

http://ew.com/music/2017/04/19/don-cheadle-kendrick-lamar-dna-interview/

https://hypebeast.com/2017/4/don-cheadle-kendrick-lamar-kung-fu-kenny-dna-reference

He has this crazy karate movie that he has before the concert which is weird and cuts all through it and is really bizarre and funny and out of his brain and great. Crazy-great kung fu movie. We ride back, we actually ate at P.F. Changs [laughs], and hung out, and then I left, and I went on my Twitter account and somebody wrote, “Don Cheadle, the original Kung Fu Kenny” and put a picture of Rush Hour 2 up. I was like, wait a minute. So I texted him. I said, “Is Kung Fu Kenny me?” He’s like, “That’s what the surprise was. Damn.”

Don Cheadle hit me w the RT yesterday

(his character's name in Rush Hour 2 is Kenny)

View media item 2408244

Sunshine and The City is Mine are fire. Vol 1 got my favorite Jay song ever and Vol 1 was my introduction to Jay. Vol 2 and Blueprint would probably make my top 3 Jay albums. Vol. 1 got like 4-5 songs that are just ****** awful though.

Eminem spitting, don't give a **** how old you are. If you can't acknowledge his lyrics, wordplay and flow on albums 1-3, I don't give a **** what you gotta say about anything Rap related

What gives Kendrick the unfair advantage is longevity. He hasn't been around long enough to put out a bad project. Em, Pac, Nas and Jay all got joints that didn't live up to their expectations because they got mad albums.

The City Is Mine is a real good song but Sunshine is fire?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Kendrick has to prove that he can last as long as Nas did before we can have that discussion. Now if we wanna have an "as of now" discussion and go album for album, forgetting the fact that Nas definitely influenced Kendrick whether directly or indirectly and do an "if these albums released at the same time hypothetical" let's go...

Illmatic vs Section 80: winner Illmatic
It Was Written vs GKMC: winner GKMC (very close though)
I Am vs TPAB: winner TPAB
Nastradaumus vs DAMN: winner DAMN (easily)

In that scenario Kendrick wins.

But that's subtracting Nas's influence and longevity and forgetting that Kendrick has the advantage of building on some of the greats' works and the superior production that exists currently.

On top of that Nas fell off then went back on top with Stillmatic. The way people talk about Kendrick now is pretty much the same way people talked about Nas in like 97-98. Kendrick is moving up the list but let's wait lil bit.

Wow this is embarrassing, specifically the no replay value part

How is this embarrassing?

Let's look at Nas discography

Illmatic - Classic
It was Written - Good Album for the time
I Am - Good Album for the time
Nastradamus - I'll let you guys decide that one
Stillmatic - Classic
Lost Tapes - Pretty great
Streets Disciple - Had some amazing tracks and some not so great tracks
Hip Hop is Dead - loved when it released, doesn't hold up over time for me.
Untitled - half was great, half not so much
Life is Good - A lot of people loved, critically acclaimed, it was a good album. Not great to me.

Music is subjective at the end of the day, my friend said it best, Nas hit him harder at the time he heard it and he got more out of the music then what he does today. He will always rank Nas first regardless. I respect that.

For me, Kendrick's music has just meant more and resonated with me more at the times in my life where I heard it. And the themes and cohesiveness of his albums are both unmatched.

I swear people give way too much credit to the legends and let nostalgia affect their judgement. Don't get me wrong a lot of those dudes are so fire, but we give the OGs way too much credit. If you look at subjectively a lot of these OGs that people are talking about are inferior to someone like Kendrick in my opinion.

As a whole in terms of lyricism, delivery, flow, wordplay, singles, popularity, sales, cultural impact, etc, and more importantly the balance of all those things, I'm not sure anyone has done it better than Kendrick Lamar. Em is the only guy I can say would be close.

DAMN. is a straight flex by KDOT to prove that he is the best to ever do it in every aspect of hip hop. Gotta remember all the OGs created the monster that is Kendrick Lamar. He is the child of hip hop legends. At this point I don't think he's trying to be on top of the list, I think he's trying to transcend it.

"*** Jay Z hall of fame sit your punk *** down, that means you ain't bigger than rapping"

As a whole in terms of lyricism, delivery, flow, wordplay, singles, popularity, sales, cultural impact, etc, and more importantly the balance of all those things, I'm not sure anyone has done it better than Kendrick Lamar.

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

Which one of those things does he do better than Jay?

Last edited:
Honestly the only rapper I'd put ahead of Kendrick is 3 Stacks.

You've shown your age in your last few posts. Some of y'all should post your age after your crazy posts.

If Andre in your top 5 or even 3 somehow, you better be familiar with the Dungeon Family album, Killer's early work, Slimm Calhoun and everyone else on their label since he doesn't have much music out. Don't tell me Stacks is your favorite because it's the cool thing to do and don't know **** about him

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom