**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Institutionalized is so serious. Not seeing that track get enough love.

Kendrick's flow on that was like a combination of Slick Rick/Digable Planets/Q-tip/Busta/Buckshot. Crazy.

Production is unreal on that track.

From what I'm reading looks like this album is a love it or hate it, no in between. I've only listened to 3 songs so I have no opinion yet.

And from what yall are saying I can already tell The Blacker the Berry is the best song ..just got that feeling.

From what I'm reading looks like this album is a love it or hate it, no in between. I've only listened to 3 songs so I have no opinion yet.

And from what yall are saying I can already tell The Blacker the Berry is the best song ..just got that feeling.

Nah... wait till you get to Alright...

Eh. I think this is more of a quite, vibes, personal listening kind of album.

Not like the dark, mean sound that GKMC had.

They are just different. I wouldn't be able to bump this in the gym or in the car feeling "hype" but it would definitely soothe me and reflect on life in those quiet moments I get at night alone.

Last edited:
After letting it digest (pawse)...this is a wonderfully crafted piece of art...but I can't say I like it. Someone mentioned earlier about Kendrick mastering the ability to rap and that's spot on. Technically...there's not many (if any) doing it on this level. However...from a sonic standpoint...this album is just not my cup of tea. The only songs that make me want to run them back instantly are Alright and Mortal Man (best song on the album imo). The funk influence just doesn't do it for me. As a whole...it's just lacking that knock that GKMC had. While I appreciate the content...the music side is just as important for me. It's not that the music is bad...the quality and creativity behind it is admirable. It's just not MY style.

Maybe it'll grow on me (II) but after day one...it's not doing it for me.

Last edited:
So I'm listening to this album and honestly I can say without hesitation that IMO Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper alive.

And it's several reasons I feel this way but I'll explain that later. :lol:

Eh. I think this is more of a quite, vibes, personal listening kind of album.

Not like the dark, mean sound that GKMC had.

They are just different. I wouldn't be able to bump this in the gym or in the car feeling "hype" but it would definitely soothe me and reflect on life in those quiet moments I get at night alone.

Idk about the other songs yet but I and blacker the berry in the gym make you feel powerful

2 play through in, album is amazing! The messages scattered all over the records. My coworker was like, "maaan I can relate to this album, it's raw son". I was like your a white boy from OC that grew up middle class, you ain't never hustle or struggled a day in your life. His reply, "chill son" :lol:

2 play through in, album is amazing! The messages scattered all over the records. My coworker was like, "maaan I can relate to this album, it's raw son". I was like your a white boy from OC that grew up middle class, you ain't never hustle or struggled a day in your life. His reply, "chill son" :lol:

While I agree with you, let yung Michael Rapaport flourish :lol:

[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji] let him cook.

Is this him right here?

Serious-NOD-Fan.gif

This is one of those albums where I feel that it says more about the people that don't like it than it does the album.

What do you think it says about people who don't like it?

I think it says they stink.

Jk, :lol: , everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't like this album.

Especially from Kendrick because I feel like his voice is just suited for aggressive tracks.

I still think that it's going to grow on a lot of ppl who aren't feeling it right now, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

That we aren't cultured and dont like to expand our musical tastes..:rolleyes

some of the underhand comments in here about people who don't like it are ridiculous 

Nah not even, fuk all that "cultured" and "musical taste" talk. I just feel like to not like this album you must not have not one ounce of soul in you.

As a young black man hearing **** like Institutionalized, Alright, Hood Politics, the second half of Complexion, or How Much Does A Dollar Cost I just naturally caught myself jigging out of nowhere. I ain't even have to try.

I just have this image in my head of people who don't like this album as pimply faced nerds whom like I said have no type of soul. I could be horribly wrong though.

Last edited:
After my second spin I really enjoyed the album. I had expected something different but I like what he delivered. The production on this album is really smooth. Terrace Martin did his thing. Looking forward to picking up the hard copy

This album is so authentic and next level.

There are so many layers and complexities to the whole project.

You can call it slurpin' if you want, but there is something about a genuine project that the people can relate to that sets it apart from a world full of fluff.

You can tell the music and raps took time to organically marinate into something special, not anything rushed.

Should definitely win album of the year, but we know how those things go.

That we aren't cultured and dont like to expand our musical tastes..
eyes.gif

some of the underhand comments in here about people who don't like it are ridiculous 
Nah not even, fuk all that "cultured" and "musical taste" talk. I just feel like to not like this album you must not have not one ounce of soul in you.

As a young black man hearing **** like Institutionalized, Alright, Hood Politics, the second half of Complexion, or How Much Does A Dollar Cost I just naturally caught myself jigging out of nowhere. I ain't even have to try.

I just have this image in my head of people who don't like this album as pimply faced nerds whom like I said have no type of soul. I could be horribly wrong though.
laugh.gif

After 4 play through's...

Meh.

I appreciate what he made, how he made it, and how authentic it may be to him. I also recognize it has close to zero replay value for me.

Last edited:

This album is so authentic and next level.​
 ​
There are so many layers and complexities to the whole project.​
 ​
You can call it slurpin' if you want, but there is something about a genuine project that the people can relate to that sets it apart from a world full of fluff.​
 ​
You can tell the music and raps took time to organically marinate into something special, not anything rushed.​
 ​
Should definitely win album of the year, but we know how those things go.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
Its March b

Back
Top Bottom