**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

Album is steadily growing on me. I'll admit, it was odd at first. My first listen I was so unprepared. I mean it didn't help that I was running late for work and stressing over that but I came away feeling "meh". Then I sat myself down with some headphones and started getting the flow of it and I liked it a lot more.

I think I've said it before in this thread but I'm always for an artist branching out and trying new things. I won't fault Kendrick for that but I'm still wanting a track that you can just throw on and vibe to a la "Money Trees"or "BDKMV" and I find less of that here.

My third listen I liked even more and can appreciate it better. Things are starting to connect but I'm still a little lost as to what Lucy represents.

8/10

I really enjoyed the album but it's not something I'll throw on frequently if that makes sense. It's like those movies that are too much to digest on a regular basis but they're still top notch.

After listening to the album about 4 times, it's damn near perfect for me. I was initially disappointed with the production because it wasn't what I expected, but after getting that out of the way, I was able to appreciate it. This is every bit as important as GKMC and should get the same rave reviews/  I still prefer the production on GKMC, and it has more standout songs for me, but I appreciate the content on TPAB more. Overall, I give it a 4.5 / 5. I'm about to buy my copy now.

Standout tracks for me:

King Kunta

Institutionalized

The Blacker The Berry

You aint gotta lie

I (This version is wayyyy better than the polished version we got way back when)

"I" is so live i cant even imagine the version that yall wasnt feeling (first time hearing it was on this album)

"I" is so live i cant even imagine the version that yall wasnt feeling (first time hearing it was on this album)
It was way more polished, and the little speeches he made were added to this version. Just sounds better live.

Last edited:
Anyone in Orange County, Ca able to pick up this album yet? It was my only day off from work and I spent the entire day going to all the Best Buy's, Walmarts and Targets to try and get me a couple copies of this album 
mean.gif
laugh.gif

The closer to Anaheim/Yorba Linda the better at this point in the evening 
laugh.gif

Kendricks buzz has died significantly. So many people were wanting him to drop this record like 6 months ago. Cole, Drake and Yeezus are in far more demand right now than K. Dot. All of his singles haven't caught on. I think "I" was a good idea for a single but it flopped so bad. "Blacker the Berry" is a good comeback and more importantly controversial.

Honestly, I could see more first week numbers if he dropped this on the fly digitally and in stores. With no announced release date. With the release date two weeks away, I can see K. Dot do J.Cole numbers 360K the most. His buzz has taken a significant hit. I cannot see gold first week.

Kanye can easily do 500-600K first week. He's been all over the place.

Dip, you never know what the hell you're talking about.

My prediction is 600k min first week

360k???? :lol: .. Do you know that this is the most anticipated album this year?

Kendrick buzz DEF did NOT die down .. It only got stronger .. Everyone wants to see how he's going to come after dropping a classic like GKMC

600k-700k first week easy

Dude went platinum off of that big Sean song "control" easily ...

Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' Projected To Sell 350K-375K 1st Week
Not bad considering almost 10 million ppl heard it for free already...

And which is first week? Sun? The 23rd???

Kinda wish he held it down til his original date. Woulda at least went gold first week.
But, **** it, I like the lp and it aint my money/ stats. I got what I came for.

View media item 1451915

Just got around to listening to TPAB in its entirety, i respect the message, I like the artist, and I really enjoyed Section 80 and GKMC, but off the first listen I dont think I like this album. I want to like it, I just cant get into it like his previous projects. I love the funk and jazz elements on the album but the amount of "poetry" style rapping is too much for me. I'm all for a message in rap music but this is a little too much for me. 

I will be listening to this a couple more times though, I'm hoping my opinion changes. 

Just got around to listening to TPAB in its entirety, i respect the message, I like the artist, and I really enjoyed Section 80 and GKMC, but off the first listen I dont think I like this album. I want to like it, I just cant get into it like his previous projects. I love the funk and jazz elements on the album but the amount of "poetry" style rapping is too much for me. I'm all for a message in rap music but this is a little too much for me. 

I will be listening to this a couple more times though, I'm hoping my opinion changes. 
Be prepared for:

A. You have no soul

B. You like trap music

C. You're a Drake Fan

D. All of the above

Exactly how I feel

Didn't you used to have the Salim Stoudemire avy?

Kendrick Lamar's 'To Pimp A Butterfly' Projected To Sell 350K-375K 1st Week
Not bad considering almost 10 million ppl heard it for free already...

And which is first week? Sun? The 23rd???

Kinda wish he held it down til his original date. Woulda at least went gold first week.
But, **** it, I like the lp and it aint my money/ stats. I got what I came for.

Actually. 19 million heard it for free. Another 9.8 million streams for day 2. But those 1st week numbers aren't including physical copies.

I think kendrick's past that phase of milking his talent for profit. Sales don't mean anything to him at this point hence why the record dropped digitally first. Imo I think it was a better move to redirect his talent towards an uplifted path rather than profit. Kanye may sell more his first week, but he did find dot's album inspiring and for someone so high on himself to say that shows how well dot is managing his work.

Back
Top Bottom