Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

Did Druw wear Jordans on the day he returned?

Hope Braves beat the Dodgers this series

"we're playing for this year"........ as we should be.
I guest Iron man doesn't have a lot faith in the Dodgers to take it this year. Why not? There is still a lot of baseball left and we're only a halfgame back of the NL West. We just need to get hot and bring in runs on a consistent basis and we are set.
I always hope for the chip and is that a bad thing? Until they say we're not going to make the playoffs or we're out of the playoffs then you think, "next year then". thats just my thinking, you just never know.
As of A.J., well what can you say... I laugh at the thought of him, but smh when he strikes out. but i'll decide if hes a bust when his career with thedodgers is over( if it isnt already).

I agree w/ you bright nikes, the rivalry isn't the same... i thought maybe its cause i havent attended a game when the giants came into town or maybe itscuz bonds is not there. idk I think our new rivals are the angels and maybe san diego.

Well we won the last 3 series
pimp.gif
Ethier had an amazing road trip and Ijust can't see why some of you guys would want to trade him.
Lets keep it up Blue Crew.

I guest Iron man doesn't have a lot faith in the Dodgers to take it this year. Why not? There is still a lot of baseball left and we're only a half game back of the NL West. We just need to get hot and bring in runs on a consistent basis and we are set.
It's not that I don't have faith, like I said it would be nice. However, I know and see that the blueprint is for long term success. Itis good to see the Dodgers sitting on their prospects instead of trading them for CC Sabathia, when we have a good chance to get him for nothing (Just money,but it isn't mine) in the off season. When you go with youngsters, it doesn't happen overnight. It took the D'Backs a couple of years, and ittook the Rays 13 years.

I don't have the "this year or bust" mentality that a lot of Dodger fans, not only here, are displaying. To be honest, and I hate to say it, Iwant to be like the Boston Red Sox. Contenders for years to come, with a blueprint in mind. Trading away, or even thinking about trading away Matt Kemp,James Loney, Blake DeWitt is ridiculous just to win a couple of playoff games this year.

Like many Dodger fans, I am tired of mediocrity, but I see long term continued success in the future, if we just stick to a damn plan for once. A plan thatwas there before the Fox ownership took over and put the franchise a decade back. Homegrown talent is what we were, what we used to be with only a few hiredguns to take us over the top (Kirk Gibson anyone.).

I don't like the, "this team sucks, I'm not attending/watching anymore games this season" mentality. Fine, but don't come back nextseason and beyond when we are really dangerous. I've said it many times, we are under .500, but we are only .5 a game back and I believe we will win theNL West this season.

I will continue to knock the "We are playing for this year" mantra, because IMO, there is nothing wrong with wanting a damn Dynasty. Dodger fansdeserve it.

I'm about as tired of mediocrity as any Dodgers fan quite possibly but I still watch their games. I want to see these "kids" succeed and fulfilltheir potential which I know takes time and that's fine. The thing is, in order for these kids to develop and grow into solid everyday MLB players theyhave to play. A lot of the frustration, at least on my part, is for example.. James Loney situation last year. We all know what he had been doing in theminors and ST for a couple years but it took an injury situation to give him that chance. Same thing with DeWitt this year (though the expectations were allfor LaRoche) but Blake was a pleasant surprise.

Ethier and Kemp are now both able to play everyday, again, due to injury.. Though I like what Pierre brings to the field (speed), I think having Ethier outthere for 150+ games benefits us more so than having Pierre's speed. But that's a different topic.. the whole Pierre >< Kemp >< Jones>< Ethier, etc. etc. My point is, if the organization knows we are developing these kids they need to let them develop and restrain from every offseasongoing after free agents who take up the same positions they play...

Anway, Go Dodgers!

I'll probably type up some input in a bit, had a long day of class - now I'm just pooped.

News:
[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/rays-interested.html[/h1]
[h1]Rays, Dodgers Interested In Casey Blake[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [July 7 at 9:29am CST]

The Indians have marketable veterans aside from C.C. Sabathia. Take third baseman Casey Blake, who's hitting .353/.414/.529 since the beginning of June. He's owed about $2.8MM for the remainder of the season and figures to draw decent trade attention.

Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll says "there's some rumor that Tampa Bay has interest" in Blake. Blake could fill the role of right-handed hitting right fielder. The Rays have also been linked to outfielders Matt Murton and Xavier Nady.

Blake has also drawn interest from the Dodgers, who wanted to get him in a C.C. Sabathia deal.

Also Pirates fans are thinking we're going to trade them Matt Kemp for Jack Wilson
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

I'm sleepy, brb.
nerd.gif

Dodgers have a good young core, they just need to mature together as a unit.

They are finally picking up the "mental" aspects of the game, instead of trying to go out there and hit the ball hard out of the yard.

I like that majority of the players are not afraid of any situation, they don't get intimidated at all.

I hope they take the series from the Braves, they send Kuroda tonight, Bills tomorrow, and Lowe for the finale....
Chances are good.

Who thinks Andruw Jones will murder his old team today?

I'm hoping.

Anyway, forget Jack Wilson / Eckstein they don't bring anything to the table Maza / Berroa / Nomar can't do.

Gametime! Go Dodgers!

I knew the no-hitter was gonna be jinxed once Vin started talking about how the defense was shifted.

Either way, this is great pitching by Kuroda!

I guess it's all about the ones. Kuroda with a one hitter, had a great pitching performance.

Guess what, we're back in 1st place!
pimp.gif

Kuroda was on point tonight. No 3-Ball counts all night... The defense did well as well...

Back in 1st. Let's get it tomorrow again!
pimp.gif

Kuroda made 1 mistake in 9 innings, he hung a pitch over the middle. Other than that, what a game.

You gotta love how he was so calm and smooth tonight.

Sources: McCourt nixed Dodgers' possible trade for Sabathia
By Tony Jackson, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/07/2008 08:23:18 PM PDT

Shortly after the Milwaukee Brewers finalized a trade for reigning American League Cy Young Award winner CC Sabathia on Monday, the Daily News learned that sometime in the days leading up to that deal, Dodgers owner Frank McCourt nixed a trade that would have brought Sabathia to Los Angeles, along with Indians third baseman Casey Blake and utility man Jamey Carroll.

McCourt's reason was financial, according to multiple industry sources. But that is a charge McCourt flatly denied.

"It's just totally false," he said. "The players didn't match up, and that's just the way it was."

All three players are potential free agents in the fall, although Carroll's contract includes a club option for next season. The 2008 base salaries of Sabathia ($9 million), Blake ($6.1 million) and Carroll ($2.15 million) total $17.25 million, a figure that drops to somewhere between $8 million and $9 million with more than half the season already gone.

Carroll also has a $150,000 buyout on his $2.5 million option for 2009.

It is unclear which players the Dodgers would have given up to acquire the trio. But with the defending AL Central champion Indians presently in last place and holding out little hope of getting back into contention, it is a reasonable assumption that package would have consisted of young players not making much more than the major-league minimum of $390,000.

"Trades are complicated, and (the Indians) weren't just going to give us three players," McCourt said. "They were asking for something in return. The point being that in this deal, the give and the get just didn't match up."

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti declined to confirm any part of the report.

"Trades are complex," Colletti said. "There is no one ingredient that goes into making a trade, and really, there is no one ingredient that goes into not making a trade. As far as the McCourts are concerned, I don't think anybody in this organization doubts that they are in it to win. For proof of that, all you have to do is look at the investment they have made in the stadium and in the baseball team."

McCourt also denied that the decision to kill the trade was his alone.

"Ned and I were on the same page," he said.

The Indians are looking to fill several holes for the future, with a corner outfielder believed to be high on their wish list. That probably means power-hitting Matt Kemp, arguably the Dodgers' hottest commodity as the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline nears, would have been included in the deal.

It also is unclear whether the Indians would have been willing to pay a portion of the salaries of the players the Dodgers would have been acquiring. If not, the trade presumably would have pushed the Dodgers' payroll to somewhere between $125 and $130 million.

The trade potentially would have filled two glaring needs on the left side of the Dodgers' infield. The club basically has been forced to improvise at third base since March 7, when Nomar Garciaparra suffered a right hand injury that kept him out until mid-April. And there is no guarantee shortstop Rafael Furcal, who underwent surgery last week for the partial removal of a bulging disc from his lower back, will return this season.

Mostly, though, acquiring Sabathia would have provided a tremendous lift to an already solid starting rotation and possibly given the Dodgers the flexibility to deal either Brad Penny or Derek Lowe, two veteran starters who are potential free agents in the fall.

[table][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]45[/td] [td].494[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]45[/td] [td].494[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][/table]
Jurrjens (8-4) vs Bills (8-7)

Dodgers vs ATL @ 710p

IDK man where one of the teams that could sign CC this offseason so it may not have been rent a player. wonder what we would of gave up

Don't you guys love the way Andruw Jones catches the ball nonchalantly
glasses.gif
. Kemp or Ethier cant field like Druw.

Braves were tired from that 17 inning game on Sunday and then having to fly from East Coast to West Coast.

Tonight you'll see the Rookie of the Year Jair Jurrjens.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

IDK man where one of the teams that could sign CC this offseason so it may not have been rent a player. wonder what we would of gave up

There's no doubt in my mind that one of them would have been Kemp, and at least Broxton or LaRoche.

I'm glad the deal was nixed, I have a strong feeling we will be leading the chase in the off season.

I know La Roche was a part of the deal hence getting Casey Blake. I wouldn't doubt that the Indians also wanted a premium pitcher and position player.

They can probably land c.c. in the offseason...

Lowe will be off the books, so will Kent. I have hopes that they will re-sign Furcal.

Back
Top Bottom