Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

This thread is
pimp.gif

I'm getting alot of pointers and such. I understand a suit is an investment but I ain't paying no $1,000 for ONE like some of yall.

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

This thread is
pimp.gif

I'm getting alot of pointers and such. I understand a suit is an investment but I ain't paying no $1,000 for ONE like some of yall.
You don't have to, a decent to good suit can be had for good prices, you just have to know what to look for. You never have to pay retail for agood OTR suit, Bloomingdales is always having a 40%-50% off suits and most of the time the alterations are free as well. You can even get a custom suit madefor you for around $400, which should last for a while as long as you don't wear it everyday and have other suits to rotate it with.

Cool, appreciate the response, which should be the "job interview" suit? I've heard a navy with pinstripes is more of an executive suit. Whichtypes would you recommend for someone at a junior level?

Another thing, to everyone, invest in some nice brown dress shoes. Black dress shoes are classic but a brown dress shoe compliments most suits colors muchbetter.

^Don't forget the brown belt too (just wanted to feel like i've contributed to this thread)

^^^ haha, yeah. A brown belt to match the shoes and just to be a little bit more nitpicky, a brown leather band on the watch as well.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Besides personal experience in color coordination, having the knowledge in the concept of the color wheelcan introduce more interesting combinations and harmony.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let us begin by looking at the color wheel and the basic colors.[/font]

1zxp1k2.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There are three characteristics in the color wheel we need to understand before proceeding to discussabout color coordination in mens fashion.[/font]
  1. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hue
    This is the actual color. Base on the color wheel, we are able to see about twelve hues. From top clockwise: Red, Red-Violet, Violet, Blue-Violet, Blue, Blue-Green, Green, Yellow-Green, Yellow, Yellow-Orange, Orange, Red-Orange
    [/font]
  2. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lightness
    This represents the shade of the color. It constitutes the amount of black and white added to the particular hue. Example, pink is the shade of red due to the result of more white. And Crimson is a darker shade of red due to more black.
    [/font]
  3. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saturation
    This is the vividness or intensity of the color. Red is more saturated than Russet even though they are from the same hue and shade.
    [/font]
  4. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Similar Colors
    These are colors adjacent to each other. Examples are Red and Red-Orange, Yellow-Green and Yellow.

Or colors with one color in-between in the color wheel. Examples are Blue and Green, Red and Orange.
    [/font]
  5. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Contrasting Colors
    This is when there are three colors between them on the color wheel. Examples are like Red and Blue, Orange and Violet, Blue and Yellow
    [/font]
  6. [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Complementary Colors
    When colors are opposite each other in the color wheel, it is considered complementary. Examples are Red and Green, Yellow and Violet
    [/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Light colors involves basic hues with white.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dull colors involves hues with gray.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vivid colors are the basic hues.[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dark colors are involving basic hues with black[/font]
  • [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Achromatic colors are shades of blacks and grays[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How do I coordinate pocket squares or pocket handkerchiefs to complete the combination of my overallattire?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is one of the most puzzling questions for most men who own pocket squares. I must say it is not themost difficult one though. The way to do it is very much the same concept as any color coordination or pattern coordination. White pocket handkerchiefs arenever much of an issue in coordination. Its ability to blend with any color suit, ties, and shirts will never give you any headache about it. The tricky onesare the colored or patterned pocket hankies. It has always been ideal to coordinate pocket squares against the color and pattern of your tie rather than yourother ensembles. Firstly, keep the color coordination of the hanky within the similar hues or same hue concept against either the solid color of the tie, its background color, or even any color of the patterns on the tie. Remember to choose differentshades of the hue between the pocket square and the tie. What we want to create is a spontaneous and relax blend toward your whole attire. Don't make itfeel like a great attempt.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Men who coordinate pocket squares or pocket handkerchiefs with the same color tone as their tie orbackground color of the tie will usually draw the attention from the face to across the chest.
Using pattern pocket squares against ties, shirts, or suits with patterns would require a good sense of understanding about small big scale patterncombination.
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For small busy pattern on ties or dress shirts or even suits (tweed), it would be good to use a largerscale pattern hank as a counter. Otherwise, few combinations of small patterns can create discord.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Similarly, big scale patterns on suits, dress shirts, or ties, can afford small scale or even tightlypacked patterns to counteract.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When there is an involvement of more than two patterns in the whole attire, play around with the conceptof three pattern coordination discussed earlier.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To coordinate pocket squares against mens clothing, we have to focus on the fabric as well. Maintainingdifferent textures of fabric between the hankies and ties is important. It breaks away a rigid combo of similar fabric across your chest as well as sends outa natural flow of contrast expressing your individuality.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cotton or linen pocket hankies always blend well with most silk ties. Similarly for wool ties, the shinyluster on the silk pocket squares plays out the natural contrast concept.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Even when the suit jacket is made of heavy and nubby fabrics like tweed, the silkiness of pocket squaresgives it a lustrous contrast to finish off the look.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Do not assume that silky hankies are too flimsy against such heavy fabric. It is the method of foldingthat makes the difference.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Avoid having the hanky sagging into the breast pocket. Create a nice puff fold where it perks up aroundthe breast pocket with natural fullness.[/font]

^Wow! SneakerReaper's coming through with some great info!! Thanks a lot.

Are you guys saying that brown shoes with the black suit is cool¿

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Like I stated before, black suits are usually worn in night time or formal events only so that's the perfect time to wear it with black shoesbecause brown should never be worn with a black suit. Even if it is a very dark brown shoe. Other than that, brown should go well with charcoal, grey, navy,tan, etc...

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by NCTwin

Like I stated before, black suits are usually worn in night time or formal events only so that's the perfect time to wear it with black shoes because brown should never be worn with a black suit. Even if it is a very dark brown shoe. Other than that, brown should go well with charcoal, grey, navy, tan, etc...

That's what I thought...I thought you guys heard something new...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

I've never really seen a pinstripe suit as an executive suit. I do however suggest a more subtle and less noticeable stripe. A navy or charcoal suit should be suitable, I suggest getting those before getting a pinstripe suit (unless you have those colros already) because it is a suit staple and more versatile. And remember, I couldn't stress this enough, but it's all about the fit.

Co-sign...
You could do a pinstripe suit if the pinstripe is very light.

Also I saw someone mention that a lot of the suits worn on these models can be brought online..NEVER NEVER NEVER buy a suit online. Unless you have seen it inperson, tried it on, etc this is a major no-no.

I personally have to get my suits & shirts tailor made due to my height. The suits I could buy off the rack, but once you have a tailored made suitit's hard to go back, unless you have a really good alternation person.

now only if we could move this into the WDYWT post, cuz alot of dudes have no style in thier, especailly that JB WDWT. that thread always gives me laughs.

I know alot of you are going to say "why are you judging other men" but just stop in thier once a day, you will be gaurenteed to leave with a coupleof laughs

Very informative thread. Since summer's right around the corner, any tips on what kind of suits to wear when the whether gets hot?

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

Very informative thread. Since summer's right around the corner, any tips on what kind of suits to wear when the whether gets hot?
A cotton khaki suit is perfect for the summer. GQ has this list for summer suits/outfits. I more or less agree (like having a black suit for thesummer, maybe it's good for summer nights, but not for a regular day), i think they have gone overboard and made a list for a person that wears suits on adaily basis. It's a good start though and covers more than just the summer.

If you're going to buy only one suit this season, make it a cotton khaki one. Think of it as your go-to summer staple: You'll be the best-dressed guyin the office, and on weekends you can lose the tie or break it up-wear the jacket with a pair of jeans, or the pants with a polo shirt.
00002f.jpg

Yes, real (business) men wear pink shirts. Just be sure to keep it simple-anchor your look with a dark, solid tie.
00003f.jpg

Today's best designers are putting a spin on an old-school classic-the Prince of Wales plaid suit-by cutting it slim, and from lighter-weight fabrics.Pull one on to inject some pattern into your wardrobe.
00004f.jpg

Here's why you need a navy suit in your closet: It goes with everything. This three-button version, in a brightened-up shade of blue for spring, lookssharp on any occasion.
00005f.jpg

This gray pinstripe is the perfect summer business suit. It's elegant, cut from a lightweight wool, and the stripes are just the right width. (Youdon't want to look like Michael Corleone at the office.)
00006f.jpg

This suit is just the right shade of gray-neither too light nor too dark. And its trim cut and fashion-forward shape are distinctly of the moment.
00007f.jpg

No, you don't have to be a southern lawyer to wear a seersucker suit. More and more stylish, young guys on the street are sporting them. Just remember:Stick with a white shirt, and wear the suit only during the summer months.
00008f.jpg

Forget what you've heard about a black suit not being right for summer. Just make sure it's made out of cotton-the weight is perfect for the heat.Pair it with your best business gear, or go the informal route and wear it with a polo shirt and a pair of loafers or sneakers (no socks, thank you very much).
00009f.jpg

Build on these versatile basics. You can mix and match them at will. That's the key to a perfect summer shirt-and-tie wardrobe.
00011f.jpg
00012f.jpg
00013f.jpg
00014f.jpg
00015f.jpg
00016f.jpg
00017f.jpg
00018f.jpg
00019f.jpg
00020f.jpg

I hate when people can wear the hell out of a suit, and it looks sharp, tie tied perfectly, fresh white shirt, the whole nine. But on casual friday they comein looking like a straight bum. I see this alot, I think its funny cause normally its the other way around.

What are those shirts Charlie Sheen wears on Two and a half men? I think I seen em at Nordstroms for like $100+. (I'd never wear em tho)

Sik Wit It,

For a Green Giant that suit fits you rather well. Although I would shorten the sleeves more.

YO! I hate that this thread has gone on so long without my Sartorial input... I have TONS of books/references that I've been using lately. I'll havemore to add when I get home. But:

Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser

should be your bible, if you aspire to be a swell gentleman. DF!!!

If you guys are interested in custom made suits for a reasonable price, I suggest this website, www.indochino.com. It's pretty cool and there's a lotof great styles. I will let you guys know how the suit fits once it arrives.

[h1]I am not really sure if I should post this because their suit selection isn't the best out there (ie: Tommy Hilfiger,Kenneth Cole, etc..) and bad color (the black suit with white stripes looks like a zoot suit). I wouldn't suggest Banan Republic shoes either. But on theother, they do offer some good suggestions and I guess these suits aren't bad if you can get it at an extra discount.

The Best Suits Under $1,000[/h1]
You want a great suit but you don't want to spend too much. Here, your four best options well under $1,000.

Five hundred dollars may or may not seem like a lot of money. For a pair of hand-rubbed shoes, it's a bargain; for a pair of sunglasses, it's highway robbery. With a suit, $500 is either a high price for a bad one or a low price for a good one, and the trick is being able to tell the difference. When you pinch the fabric, does it bounce back without wrinkling? That's good material. Does the jacket sit naturally on the shoulders and chest without making you look like a 1980s comedienne? That's good structure. This blue two-piece from Brooks Brothers rings up at just under $500 and occupies that sweet spot between craftsmanship and affordability better than any other new suit we've seen this season. Sure, there are suits for every budget, but at $500, this is a suit for every man.

Two-button wool suit ($498) by Brooks Brothers. Fabrics from Circle Visual, New York City.
159FEEFD1953634861E67BC75AB7.jpg

The Chalk-Stripe Suit, $550

Why it's the best: The fitted waist, razor-sharp power cut, and meaty chalk-stripe pattern add length and definition to the torso and legs.

Two-button wool suit ($550) and linen pocket square ($48) by Tommy Hilfiger; cotton shirt ($150) and silk tie ($100) by Thomas Pink; leather shoes ($110) by Rockport.

D75BE6E69B46D7413819F98133CE4D.jpg

The Micropattern Suit, $623

Why it's the best:

A tiny bird's-eye weave creates depth and texture and gives a contemporary twist to a classic suit.

Three-button wool suit ($623) by BR Monogram; cotton shirt ($80) by Brooks Brothers; silk tie ($98) by Theory; linen pocket square ($39) by J. Press; tie clip ($43) by Paul Stuart; leather shoes ($245) by Cole Haan.

1E37F5494EB9126072A1E6B3D5A975.jpg

The Navy-Blue Suit, $495

Why it's the best: Subtle purple pinstripes punch up the basic blue suit, and the relaxed two-button fit offers a little breathing room.

Two-button wool suit ($495) by Kenneth Cole; cotton shirt ($125) by BR Monogram; silk pocket square ($50) by Thomas Pink; leather shoes ($138) by Banana Republic.

01EF1D5E86E837BE4DCB58A101B29.jpg

The Black Suit, $300

Why it's the best: The cut, the cut, the cut. Oh, and the narrow lapels and striped black cloth are nice, too.

Two-button wool suit ($300) by Calvin Klein; cotton shirt ($38) by Van Heusen; silk tie ($30) by H&M; leather shoes ($138) by Banana Republic.
F9BC3C70FECED3BB6C4A73D5547213.jpg

Jos. A Banks is where it's at. Beleive that. Great classic style and they have crazy half off sales all the time, just keep your eyes open. Paul Fredrickhas some dope shirts as well
If you have the $$ hit up Brooks Brothers, can't go wrong with any of that.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Sik Wit It,

For a Green Giant that suit fits you rather well. Although I would shorten the sleeves more.
word, yea they are a tad long. but it was a pain in the @$% to find a suit that fit me becuase im really skinnny with a wing span like pippen.

so i told the tailor to leave it slightly long. fits nice though, ran me like 500$

Back
Top Bottom