Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jamal Crawford might not even be the most valuable sixth man on the Clippers. It's no slight to him, either. Matt Barnes has been effective defending and slashing to the basket. Eric Bledsoe won't get the minutes to warrant the award, but he's really improved and turned himself into a competent point guard. Hell, Lamar Odom has seemed to have found a pulse lately. He's a jump shot away from really looking like 2011 Odom.

I don't know, I think it's close between those two as far as the Clippers are concerned. Jamal has struggled as of late, but let's not forget that Matt Barnes was struggling to find consistency too. Gotta let the next few months play out first.

Shawn Marion is another guy that will find himself in the HOF. Very good numbers, impactful play and was a part of very good teams throughout his career.

When you look at guys like Ralph Sampson getting it, it's not really that farfetched I guess.

Although I kind of disagree with the opinion, the thing that gets downplayed the most is his defense. He never let it shine in Phoenix because the rest of that team was so goddamn poor that no one ever really mentioned it.

He goes to Dallas, and once Dallas is anchored by Tyson Chandler, people finally start to notice Shawn Marion as a defensive stalwart. It really is quite a shame he's never found his way onto an All-Defense team.

And someone mentioned his # being retired. Phoenix is without a doubt, and if he finishes his career in Dallas, I can actually see that too. I have loved Marion here, and I'm forever grateful for what he did in the 2011-2012 season, and if his number is up there someday with Dirk, Brad Davis, Ro, and JET, I'd be cool with that.

JR Smith and Jack are my picks as of RIGHT NOW...Still a long season, we'll see.

Do the Knicks need Smith more or does GSW need Jack more? My vote goes to Jack.

Knicks need J.R. More.

Believe it not, the Knicks are pretty banged up and have been this way for most of the season.

No Felton for a month.
No Shumpert til February
Brewer isn't an offensive guy, but starts
And J.R. is leading our second unit.
With Rasheed Wallace out for the last 6-7 games, J.R. Picked up the scoring too

People are REALLY looking past giving Woodson Coach of the Year as well. He's doing so much, with very little to work with (relatively speaking).

Again, no Amare for the first 2 months, No Shumpert till February, constantly having big's injured and the turnaround he's had since he got the HC position is note worthy.

Woodson should at least be in the discussion for COY.

Last edited:
He's absolutely the leading candidate for COY imo. Just based off the impact he has had on players since he got to NY. Having J.R playing the way he has and keeping him on a leash while at the same time boosting his morale, Melo has been more focused than ever etc etc

As of right now... 

MVP - Carmelo Anthony Lebron James(The most iffy of the picks)

COY - Mike Woodson

6th Man - JR Smith Jarret Jack

DPOY - Tyson Chandler Tim Duncan

And if anyone disagrees...they either don't play basketball...or watch basketball games.
Fixed

I just noticed it was all Knicks, I fell for this intially SMH

Last edited:
As of right now... 

MVP - Carmelo Anthony Lebron James(The most iffy of the picks)
COY - Mike Woodson
6th Man - JR Smith Jarret Jack
DPOY - Tyson Chandler Tim Duncan

And if anyone disagrees...they either don't play basketball...or watch basketball games.
Fixed

I just noticed it was all Knicks, I fell for this intially SMH

MVP would probably go to Melo
COY would go to Woodson
6th man is a toss up
DPOY is a toss up as well

Let's not forget, we're still in January :lol:

Last edited:
I'm a Knicks fan but I wouldn't say Melo is MVP.

I'd go with Chris Paul as of right now.

JR and Woodson def 6th man and COTY tho.

But Mark Jackson and Jerrett Jack in GS are going to make things interesting.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson should be considered
I agree but he wont win. The Golden State Warriors have hardly gotten any recognition for the way they've been playing. Mike Woodson turned the KNICKS around, its a national story and that will let him get the award, espeicially if they get a top 3 seed which they will probably do. As someone whos been riding with Jackson as coach since day one, I would like to see him get it, but I know it isnt in the cards.

If most stars (PF's at that) start off their first 18 games shooting 35%...you usually would hear waves of criticism. 

Meanwhile...

Kevin Love....

If Melo gets MVP over LeBron :lol:

MVP-LeBron
COTY-Mark Jackson
6th man-JR Smith

I had no idea Kevin Love was playing so bad. Guess that's what happens when your PF has the shot selection of a SG. 21% from 3?
Hope he gets his game back.

[h1]Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant Currently Frontrunner in NBA's MVP Race[/h1] 

[h3]BY [/h3]
[color= rgb(85, 85, 85)]NICK FARNSWORTH[/color]
[color= rgb(85, 85, 85)]  (ANALYST) [/color]ON JANUARY 4, 2013

hi-res-146655107_crop_exact.jpg

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
The Oklahoma City Thunder  made headlines this offseason by trading away the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year James Harden to the Houston Rockets. There were many questions surrounding the team heading into the season, as many worried that the major trade would throw off team chemistry and hurt the Thunder's chances of winning a championship this year.

However, the Oklahoma City Thunder are off to a great start with an NBA-best 24-7 record, which can be greatly attributed to the career year that Kevin Durant  has put together so far. Not only is Durant carrying his team to the top spot in the Western Conference standings, but he is quickly displaying why he is likely to earn his first MVP award of his career. 

Durant has always been known for his great scoring ability, so it is no surprise that he is third in the league in scoring with an average of 28.4 points per game. He is having his second-best season in points scored per game so far this year, but is scoring on a career-high 51.7 percent of shots he puts up. 

He is bolstering this field-goal percentage by shooting a career high 42.4 percent from behind the three-point line. He is only behind Kobe Bryant  and Carmelo Anthony  by 0.8 and 1.9 points, respectively, in scoring this season, but is taking over two less shots per game than both players.

In addition, he is outscoring reigning MVP LeBron James  by 1.9 points while taking almost one shot less per game than James.

Durant's point scoring is greatly boosted by his ability to get to the line nine times a game and convert on 90.3 percent of these free-throw attempts. His efficiency at the line is aiding greatly in closing out games for Oklahoma City, as NBA.com  reports that Durant essentially maintains his free-throw percentage in clutch situations. 

One area that Durant has continued to work on is his ability to get other players involved in the offensive game, which he has shown great improvement in so far this year. He is registering 4.1 assists per game this season and is using his ability to draw defenders in order to create opportunities for his teammates to take more efficient shots. 

There is no doubt that he is one of the best offensive players in the game, but Durant is also having one of the best defensive seasons of his career.

He is recording a solid 7.9 rebounds to go along with career bests of 1.3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game. Durant's dedication to improving on the defensive end of the court has led to a defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) of 102 as reported byBasketball-Reference.com, a number which is even better than LeBron James' current 103 rating this season. 

Kevin Durant is an extremely talented player who consistently takes control of games and leads the Oklahoma City Thunder to victory. He has grown into an excellent leader for the team and is one of the most reliable players in the league at making the shots that count in the clutch.

He is also having a better season than he had last year and is continuing to show great improvement in the areas of his game that had shown some deficiencies over the last few season.

Most importantly, Durant is not only carrying the team with his offensive performances, but he is helping his teammates to play to their true potential. If he continues to lead his team to success with similar performances over the remainder of the season, it is likely that Durant will beat out LeBron James and claim the first MVP award of his young

OH NO, but Kevin Love is head and shoulders better than every PF in the game. :tongue:

I'll give him a pass since he's coming back from injury, though.

@FlyerGrizBlog: Just heart notion that new ownership will likely make a tax-oriented move that might not have happened under Heisley. Was waiting for that.

...Look: Elevated tax rates next season made/make an eventual move likely inevitable, regardless of whether an ownership change had happened.

..It was pretty easy for Heisley to allow team to start season over tax threshold when he knew he wasn't likely to get the bill.

..it won't be Gasol or Conley. There's a case to be made (though I wouldn't make it) for Z-Bo. But Rudy is the obvious/likely move.

Let's see what Hollinger/Wallace/Levien has underneath their sleeves. :nerd:

[h1]Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant Currently Frontrunner in NBA's MVP Race[/h1]

[h3]BY [/h3]
[color= rgb(85,85,85)]NICK FARNSWORTH[/color]
[color= rgb(85,85,85)]  (ANALYST) [/color]ON JANUARY 4, 2013

hi-res-146655107_crop_exact.jpg

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
The Oklahoma City Thunder  made headlines this offseason by trading away the NBA's reigning Sixth Man of the Year James Harden to the Houston Rockets. There were many questions surrounding the team heading into the season, as many worried that the major trade would throw off team chemistry and hurt the Thunder's chances of winning a championship this year.

However, the Oklahoma City Thunder are off to a great start with an NBA-best 24-7 record, which can be greatly attributed to the career year that Kevin Durant  has put together so far. Not only is Durant carrying his team to the top spot in the Western Conference standings, but he is quickly displaying why he is likely to earn his first MVP award of his career. 

Durant has always been known for his great scoring ability, so it is no surprise that he is third in the league in scoring with an average of 28.4 points per game. He is having his second-best season in points scored per game so far this year, but is scoring on a career-high 51.7 percent of shots he puts up. 

He is bolstering this field-goal percentage by shooting a career high 42.4 percent from behind the three-point line. He is only behind Kobe Bryant  and Carmelo Anthony  by 0.8 and 1.9 points, respectively, in scoring this season, but is taking over two less shots per game than both players.

In addition, he is outscoring reigning MVP LeBron James  by 1.9 points while taking almost one shot less per game than James.

Durant's point scoring is greatly boosted by his ability to get to the line nine times a game and convert on 90.3 percent of these free-throw attempts. His efficiency at the line is aiding greatly in closing out games for Oklahoma City, as NBA.com  reports that Durant essentially maintains his free-throw percentage in clutch situations. 

One area that Durant has continued to work on is his ability to get other players involved in the offensive game, which he has shown great improvement in so far this year. He is registering 4.1 assists per game this season and is using his ability to draw defenders in order to create opportunities for his teammates to take more efficient shots. 

There is no doubt that he is one of the best offensive players in the game, but Durant is also having one of the best defensive seasons of his career.

He is recording a solid 7.9 rebounds to go along with career bests of 1.3 blocks and 1.5 steals per game. Durant's dedication to improving on the defensive end of the court has led to a defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions) of 102 as reported byBasketball-Reference.com, a number which is even better than LeBron James' current 103 rating this season. 

Kevin Durant is an extremely talented player who consistently takes control of games and leads the Oklahoma City Thunder to victory. He has grown into an excellent leader for the team and is one of the most reliable players in the league at making the shots that count in the clutch.

He is also having a better season than he had last year and is continuing to show great improvement in the areas of his game that had shown some deficiencies over the last few season.

Most importantly, Durant is not only carrying the team with his offensive performances, but he is helping his teammates to play to their true potential. If he continues to lead his team to success with similar performances over the remainder of the season, it is likely that Durant will beat out LeBron James and claim the first MVP award of his young
Voter fatigue will be the only reason LeBron doesnt get MVP. Interesting article though, but the stat differences between the areas that they highlighted to try and bolster their KD argument are so close to Lebrons( 2 more points on one less shot for example) and they for obviously neglect the fact that LeBron is rebounding and assisting better. Not saying that KD doesnt have a shot of getting it, he will finish second IMO but when you stack up the numbers its obvious that Lebron should get it, and from the eye test the Thunder would still be fine without KD, if the Heat lost LeBron they would absolutely suck.
Race to MVP Ladder
Jan. 4, 2013

Current Rankings

Rank Player
1 -- LeBron James
2 -- Kevin Durant
3 -- Chris Paul
4 -- Carmelo Anthony
5 -- Kobe Bryant
6 -- Stephen Curry
7 -- Tim Duncan
8 -- Zach Randolph
9 -- James Harden
10 -- Josh Smith

http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Timmy and Steph
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Last edited:
If most stars (PF's at that) start off their first 18 games shooting 35%...you usually would hear waves of criticism. 

Meanwhile...

Kevin Love....

Best PF in the game and not even close...God forbid Blake post those kind of numbers, pitchforks would be out in abundance.

Voter fatigue will be the only reason LeBron doesnt get MVP. Interesting article though, but the stat differences between the areas that they highlighted to try and bolster their KD argument are so close to Lebrons( 2 more points on one less shot for example) and they for obviously neglect the fact that LeBron is rebounding and assisting better. Not saying that KD doesnt have a shot of getting it, he will finish second IMO but when you stack up the numbers its obvious that Lebron should get it, and from the eye test the Thunder would still be fine without KD, if the Heat lost LeBron they would absolutely suck.

Timmy and Steph
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

The Thunder would be fine without KD? 

Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom