Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc J. Spears
@SpearsNBAYahoo
Clipps had a positive meeting w/Jamal Crawford in LA today & made a contract offer,but hes still considering MIN, PHL, MEM, PHX, source says 
Nooooo Memphis. Don't do it!

bhz -
pimp.gif
with the knowledge

people look at JJ and just see the ugly contract looming over his head, which is force fed to you because of the media.

BUT JJ can ball and now with a Elite PG, if not the best PG in the L, hes not being asked to be the "man"

and atlanta had to overpay to keep him, its not likes a bad player getting a bloated contract, the market dictated in order to keep him, they had to pay him.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Why do I feel like if Joe Johnson wasn't overpaid, people wouldn't be considering these guys better than him? 
laugh.gif

Sure, I would take Harden over him long-term. But, Joe is currently the better player. The same thing with Gordon and with his injury history, I'm not sure if I would want him long-term anyways.

You act Joe Johnson has been the model of health these last few years.

He's a solid player but that's it. Gimme Gordon over him allday.
Well, he only missed 6 games last season. Only 24 games over the last 5 seasons. He's been pretty healthy. Gordon has already missed twice as many games as Joe in his 4 year career.
I mean, he missed 57 games in the 11-12 season, 26 games in the 10-11 season, 20 games in the 09-10 season. That's not good when you're only 23 years old. How you've already missed over a 100 games in a 4 year career with 1 season being short? That's terrible. 

What makes Joe Johnson just a "solid" player? So, we consider 19,4 and 4 "solid"? Joe does a little more than just score. He can fill up the stat sheet with rebounds and assists. Also, let's not act like he's a terrible defender. He's at least an average defender and has great size for his position. There aren't many SG's in the league (if any) that will overpower him or have a size advantage.

I'm not even sure why people would take Ellis over Joe. When has Ellis been the no.1 option on a playoff team? People have to realize that Joe was the no.1 option in Atlanta over the last 5 seasons. Did he get to the ECF? No. But, he took them to the 2nd round many times and kept the team relevant each season. IMO, he's in a similar situation Pau was in when in Memphis (except Pau was younger). People criticized Pau in Memphis because he couldn't get his squad out of the 1st round after 3 straight seasons. You put Pau next to an elite player and people start calling him the best PF in the game. Maybe people feel like Deron Williams isn't elite anymore, for whatever reason that may be. But, I feel like Joe will be a lot better with Dwill next to him in the backcourt. 

19, 4, 4 is simply solid when you are the number option on a team that has a tough time scoring.

Pau Gasol put up numbers no matter what was around him.

I've been reading all I can find about what Nash wants to sign.. 4 years as high as $44mil, as low as $30mil.

Such a nonsense amount of years.. Unless he's taking 2 Team Option years, it is a worse risk than trading for someone you think willLeave in 1 year.

And the price
roll.gif
. He's worth 10 mil now. But guy you're 38. You want 4 years. You need to cut that salary in half if you're demanding 4 years at 38. Chances are Lakers or Raptors or Knicks or Suns take him at the $36-40mil price and spend 2 years angry because 1/6 of their cap is taken up by a 40 year old.

The same with the Center position IMO. Only a handful of fundamentally sound big men left in todays game. 
ohwell.gif

Nah center is making a resurgence. It's the best it's been since the 90's. Inside scorers like Bynum, Lopez, Marc Gasol, Hibbert, Big Al, Cousins and DPOY-caliber defenders like Dwight and Chandler, plus solid all-around types like Noah, Gortat, and Okafor. When you factor in that KG and Duncan are now centers too and will probably finish their careers there, this position is becoming deeper.

Originally Posted by MMG

bhz -
pimp.gif
with the knowledge

people look at JJ and just see the ugly contract looming over his head, which is force fed to you because of the media.

BUT JJ can ball and now with a Elite PG, if not the best PG in the L, hes not being asked to be the "man"

and atlanta had to overpay to keep him, its not likes a bad player getting a bloated contract, the market dictated in order to keep him, they had to pay him.

Why does everyone keep repeating this Atlanta HAD to pay him nonsense? No they didn't. They didn't even wait to see what his market would be, especially given that he had just come off a terrible playoff where he shot under 40% and was about to turn 30. No other team was going to offer anything near approaching that.

There's no excuse for 6yrs 119m for Joe Johnson, when LeBron James and Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade are making less than him. He doesn't sell tickets, doesn't sell merchandise, doesn't get you on tv, and isn't singlehandedly getting you deep playoff runs.

Joe Johnson
$19,752,645

$21,466,718

$23,180,790

$24,894,863

LeBron James (and Chris Bosh)

LeBron James

$17,545,000

$19,067,500

$20,590,000

$22,112,500

INEXCUSABLE

I'll always remember the signing. It's like they panicked when they saw Bron, Bosh, Wade, and Amar'e just interviewing with teams thinking Joe would leave too. Then just offer him the most money out of anyone in that summer of FA.

Jay probably got that face he heard that beat on Fade To Black holding his head looking at Joe's contract

Originally Posted by RipC

Originally Posted by HankMoody

The Nets can beat the Celtics in a playoff series. Paul Pierce is a year older. KG is a year older. The Celtics needed 7 games to beat the Sixers in the 2nd round. Oh and this team will get better every year. Boston is on the decline. So maybe Y1 Boston is better but Y2-Y4 and however beyond? Brooklyn for sure. 

roll.gif

So you're telling me in a year, both Pierce (who played on a sprained knee the entire postseason and still averaged 19 and 6) and KG, who put up 20/10 for the entire second half of the season and playoffs, are going to transform into hobbled, washed-up nobodies? Not to mention the additions of Jeff Green, Jason Terry, and the continual improvement of Rajon Rondo as well as a LOT more depth than the 2012 season?

Let's not get too caught up in the hype train. Deron Williams and Joe Johnson aren't beating Boston in the playoffs barring a major injury.

Baffles me too @RipC.
NT'ers on that "hype-water".

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

!+%* that dude. Give me Gortat and Dudley.
This man...
pimp.gif

And I'm with SciMet on this one...

If JJ were on a more reasonable contract? Absolutely. But it still doesn't put them over the top teams in the East/West, and you're locked into position with your squad now.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Originally Posted by MMG

bhz -
pimp.gif
with the knowledge

Why does everyone keep repeating this Atlanta HAD to pay him nonsense? No they didn't. They didn't even wait to see what his market would be, especially given that he had just come off a terrible playoff where he shot under 40% and was about to turn 30. No other team was going to offer anything near approaching that.

There's no excuse for 6yrs 119m for Joe Johnson, when LeBron James and Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade are making less than him. He doesn't sell tickets, doesn't sell merchandise, doesn't get you on tv, and isn't singlehandedly getting you deep playoff runs.

Joe Johnson
$19,752,645

$21,466,718

$23,180,790

$24,894,863

LeBron James (and Chris Bosh)

LeBron James

$17,545,000

$19,067,500

$20,590,000

$22,112,500

INEXCUSABLE
Agreed.

He's a good player.  Great in his prime.  But that contract is laughable.  Arguably one of the two worst currently in the NBA. 

You look at Joe Johnson and you don't exactly see someone who is going to CARRY a squad.  He's a complimentary player, but not necessairly option #1.  Even though he's being paid like that. 

Even with Williams re-signing, you know the Nets' ceiling.  They'll be better, but NEVER contend to come out of the East. 

How did Broussard become the lead info guy at Espn? I thought it was Bucher and Stein. Outside of Espn I only trust Woj.

To me if I don't hear it from DA then I don't believe it.   

The Nets literally do not have the money to sign Dwight Howard. This is their squad from here on out.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

If JJ were on a more reasonable contract? Absolutely. But it still doesn't put them over the top teams in the East/West, and you're locked into position with your squad now.

That's the problem. As a player, sure. Hell yeah, Joe can play. But that contract plus Gerald's lock you into a team that isn't in the East's elite, and you've left yourself very little means of getting better... You can't trade for Dwight unless Orlando is ******ed and signs Hump and Brook to contracts they're not worth. You can't go sign anybody. You don't have any tradable contracts tht will give you flexibility. You're stuck. Even with Hump and Brook, you're fighting for home court and you're not a real threat to come out of the ECF.. And it's not like people are going to be itching to take less money to come play next to Deron/Joe/Crash..

Joe Johnson....from 6 time All-Star, called the most underrated player in the league for years, face of an Atlanta Hawks franchise that hadn't made the playoffs in like 10 years before he got there to being called a solid 3rd option on his own team. All because of a contract.

Who said anything about him being a third option? Do you read? CAN you read?

He's a good player. But he doesn't put them anywhere near the Heat and he's effectively KILLED any chance they had at getting better from here on out because of the contract.

You dudes can try and brush over the contract all you want. But they're not a team that's going to compete for a title and they can't get better BECAUSE OF that contract. When there's a cap in place, contracts matter. Whether you want them to or not, they do.

Wow, Give people the day off for the fourth and all hell breaks loose. lol.

Brook Lopez is just lazy. does not make it ok to grab 2 rebounds but he made it known that he would not go for them with Hump next to him. Sad that people cancel out that he was on his way to going over the 20 point mark this season even in those 5 games we all saw him play. He also plays defense too. fills the lane.

I compare Joe Johnson to the Pedro Martinez deal with the Mets. first two years he will be fine. by year three, Proky will have money saved to not care about the tax and paying someone once a 20 ppg scorer who is now a 14 ppg scorer. Sucks for the team, but they have a small window.

The Nets as a whole, anyone that sits there and says they are the same as last year with Joe Johnson is dumb. Just when gerald Wallace came last year with Gerald Green the nets were in the top five in the league at the small forward position in PRODUCTION. not top Small Forwards, just PRODUCTION. they were ranked DEAD LAST the past year and a half when neither were there ( When they played at SF - Travis Outlaw, DeShawn Stevenson, Damion James, Sasha Vuljic, Andre Emmit,STEPHEN GRAHAM)

Backup PG was The oft-injured Jordan Farmar who had good games but was taught very well by Kobe, Sundiata Gaines, Armon Johnson. Our backup/starting Centers were Johan Petro and Shelden Williams. The shooting guards were good but Morrow does one thing. SHOOT. no defense. no moves to the hoop. no mid range. Prefers floaters to layups.

Yet I have to sit here and read how as of now, Deron, JJ, Wallace,Evans,Teletovic, TyShawn Taylor, Brooks, is not better than last year????? if they keep Brook and Hump, that team makes the playoffs. Everyone needs to stop looking at the future and just next season. For how bad the Nets have been (12-70 THREE years ago) I will take for next season switching where the Hawks are in the standings. The Nets teams have been the same the last two years "they can be good with there roster" their rosters did nothing. and led to under 26 wins. time for change

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Joe Johnson....from 6 time All-Star, called the most underrated player in the league for years, face of an Atlanta Hawks franchise that hadn't made the playoffs in like 10 years before he got there to being called a solid 3rd option on his own team. All because of a contract.

its not that joe is not a good player. its because he is 31, on his decline, and owed 90mil for the next 4 years. we cant question what joe did in the past, but the nets brought in a player who is not worth what they're going to pay him in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom