Official NBA Summer League Thread. Final Day starts at 4pm eastern time

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Much like his 8.0 scoring average with 2.0 assists and 2.3 rebounds in 15.7 minutes in four summer league games, Lin's stat line doesn't tell the whole story of his production and value. The Mavs came to Las Vegas seeking to train the electrifying guard Rodrigue Beaubois to run the point but will leave knowing that Lin -- while not the complete athlete or pure shooter as Beaubois -- is the superior point guard.

{KLJ} Stop it {KLJ}
?

Article makes the right point.

Running the point, Beaubois has been terrible. He's extremely raw.

But as a SG? Amazing. Night and day.

If Lin is listed at 6'3" 200, and they call him skinny....why do other PG's at the same height/weight get labeled as having "good size?"

If Lin is listed at 6'3" 200, and they call him skinny....why do other PG's at the same height/weight get labeled as having "good size?"

I don't think he has that skinny label anymore.  He was smaller in his lower classman days at Harvard and especially before college (look at his earlier pictures).  Now I think anyone would agree he has good size.  He just doesn't look strong.  Like Derrick Rose at the same height and weight, you can tell that he's stronger than Jeremy Lin. 

I don't think he has that skinny label anymore.  He was smaller in his lower classman days at Harvard and especially before college (look at his earlier pictures).  Now I think anyone would agree he has good size.  He just doesn't look strong.  Like Derrick Rose at the same height and weight, you can tell that he's stronger than Jeremy Lin. 

Wow, Kings with a crazy comeback. Casspi with the hot hand.
d70256febca84a2775355aedbe3cf3885f8ff61.gif

Good win. But it was ugly indeed. Casspi came through at the end. I know Cousins is the main focus for the Kings, but dudes like Casspi and Greene shouldn't relax and expect Cousins to be the offense. Wish they would both be aggressive at the same time. Tired of seeing one do great and the other struggle.

Really wish Tyreke was out there to help Cousins get some easy shots. PG penetration was weak today.

Good win. But it was ugly indeed. Casspi came through at the end. I know Cousins is the main focus for the Kings, but dudes like Casspi and Greene shouldn't relax and expect Cousins to be the offense. Wish they would both be aggressive at the same time. Tired of seeing one do great and the other struggle.

Really wish Tyreke was out there to help Cousins get some easy shots. PG penetration was weak today.

It's definitely partly cuz he's Asian, but moreso cuz he's Asian-American, and he represents our generation. I played with Jeremy back in the day, and it's really surreal to me that he's became this good to the point where he has a really, really good chance at playing in the NBA, and possibly even succeed. I thought, hey, he might play college ball, but I NEVER thought he'd be NBA-caliber.
pimp.gif
It just shows how much work he's put into basketball. As an 8th/9th grader (when I played him), he was great, but no one would have imagined this.

And a lot of my friends are also in the same position, and that's why he's gonna have many fans. He's gonna open the door for more Asian-Americans potentially playing in the league in the future.

It's definitely partly cuz he's Asian, but moreso cuz he's Asian-American, and he represents our generation. I played with Jeremy back in the day, and it's really surreal to me that he's became this good to the point where he has a really, really good chance at playing in the NBA, and possibly even succeed. I thought, hey, he might play college ball, but I NEVER thought he'd be NBA-caliber.
pimp.gif
It just shows how much work he's put into basketball. As an 8th/9th grader (when I played him), he was great, but no one would have imagined this.

And a lot of my friends are also in the same position, and that's why he's gonna have many fans. He's gonna open the door for more Asian-Americans potentially playing in the league in the future.

Originally Posted by acidicality

It's definitely partly cuz he's Asian, but moreso cuz he's Asian-American, and he represents our generation. I
Bingo.

As a chinese decendent, i'd love to see Yi, Yao, and Lin on the same team
laugh.gif

It's definitely partly cuz he's Asian, but moreso cuz he's Asian-American, and he represents our generation. I
Bingo.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

Bingo.

laugh.gif
I'd like to see that as well. The thing is, Lin would probably be the only banging in the post.
roll.gif

Bingo.

laugh.gif
I'd like to see that as well. The thing is, Lin would probably be the only banging in the post.
roll.gif

Bingo.

laugh.gif
Come on dude.
smh.gif

Don't leave out Sun Yue or Wang Zhizhi!
smh.gif

Bingo.

laugh.gif
Come on dude.
smh.gif

Don't leave out Sun Yue or Wang Zhizhi!
smh.gif

PG: Jeremy Lin
SG: Sun Yue
SF: Yi Jianlian
PF: Wng Zhizhi
C: Yao Ming

Beast
pimp.gif

Raymond Townsend (half-Filipino), Rex Walters (Half Japanese), Wang Zhi Zhi (Chinese), Mengke Bateer (Mongolian-Chinese-member of 2003 Champion Spurs), Yuta Tabuse (Japaese), and Ha Seung Jin (Korean). There’s also been other players who were either just drafted, appeared in the NBA D-League/summer league/training camp rosters/, or worked out for NBA Teams but never appeard in a NBA regular season game. Some examples are Yasutaka Okayama (Japanese – listed between 7’8-7’10), Liu Wei (Chinese), Sean Chen (Taiwan) and Sun Ming Ming (Chinese – 7’9). Then there’s the current head coach of the Miami heat, Erik Spoelstra. Eri’s Spoelstra’s mother is Filipino.

Never knew there were so many Asian American players.

PG: Jeremy Lin
SG: Sun Yue
SF: Yi Jianlian
PF: Wng Zhizhi
C: Yao Ming

Beast
pimp.gif

Raymond Townsend (half-Filipino), Rex Walters (Half Japanese), Wang Zhi Zhi (Chinese), Mengke Bateer (Mongolian-Chinese-member of 2003 Champion Spurs), Yuta Tabuse (Japaese), and Ha Seung Jin (Korean). There’s also been other players who were either just drafted, appeared in the NBA D-League/summer league/training camp rosters/, or worked out for NBA Teams but never appeard in a NBA regular season game. Some examples are Yasutaka Okayama (Japanese – listed between 7’8-7’10), Liu Wei (Chinese), Sean Chen (Taiwan) and Sun Ming Ming (Chinese – 7’9). Then there’s the current head coach of the Miami heat, Erik Spoelstra. Eri’s Spoelstra’s mother is Filipino.

Never knew there were so many Asian American players.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Same reason athletic white dudes get labeled as scrappy.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Same reason athletic white dudes get labeled as scrappy.

Day 9: Saturday, July 17

Performance of the Day: Quincy Pondexter saved his best for last. The rookie forward erupted for 26 points as New Orleans finished up its five-game Summer League stay with a loss to Washington.

"I really wanted to come out and try to win games," Pondexter said. "We came up short. I had a lot of information to absorb in a short period of time because my contract didn't go through until just before we came here. It's just been a great experience. I loved every moment of it."

Drafted 26th out of Washington, the 6-foot-6 Pondexter became more productive as Summer League wore on. Saturday marked the third straight game he scored more points than the previous outing, and it eclipsed Friday's previous summer best by 10 points.

"I competed really hard," he said. "It's tough to find guys that come out and go hard every possession. That's what I try to do every game."

Hornets coach Monty Williams noticed.

"Quincy's a guy who plays with passion," he said. "He's showed a mid-range game, shot the ball really well. He defended John Wall better than anyone I saw this week."

Word in the Stands: Mike D'Antoni understands those who say it's been a disappointing NBA summer in the New York. Just don't expect him to agree.

"That's definitely unfair," the Knicks coach said. "I can understand why people say that. People wanted us to get two of the biggest names and we ended up with one. Yeah, if you're expected two, you'd be disappointed, but I think we came out with a really good piece."

Former Suns star Amar'e Stoudemire was that piece, reuniting with D'Antoni after two years. Stoudemire is not only New York's new franchise player, he's doing his best to play Pied Piper. Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul rumors are big in the Big Apple.

D'Antoni acknowledges that Stoudemire could be an ace recruiter in the summers that follow.

"I'm sure he will and that could happen," said D'Antoni, going into this third season with the Knicks. "Hopefully we have a lot of guys that want to stay here, so we just have to see where we are. We like where we are, but we can add pieces as we go forward. We're pretty flexible with our contracts. We're filling up pretty good."

The offseason wasn't just about Amar'e. D'Antoni is looking forward to the veteran presence Raymond Felton and Ronny Turiaf bring to a young roister, and the untapped potential of Anthony Randolph.

Under the Radar: After a year spent in Israel, Dionte Christmas is back at Summer League. The former Temple standout who led the Atlantic 10 in scoring for two straight years finishes up a five-game run with Sacramento on Sunday. Christmas scored 13 in 16 minutes in a one-point win over Chicago.

John Wall :: Washington Wizards

--

wall-ladder2.jpg

Walltook the final day off in Vegas after wrapping up a spectacular -- attimes -- Summer League. Wall took over in his fourth game, and heregained the top spot. After a slow start, Wall took over, helping theWizards rally for a 90-89 win. Wall finished with 31 points on just10-for-23 shooting, but his aggressiveness was the key to Washington'scomeback Thursday.
-- July 17, 6:59 .m. PT

[h1]Video & Analysis[/h1]

DeMarcus Cousins :: Sacramento Kings

--

cousins-ladder.jpg

Cousinshad his second straight subpar game Saturday, struggling from the field(3-for-15), but his averages still stand up well. Over his five games,Cousins put up averages of 17.8 points and 11.5 rebounds, not tooshabby even for Summer League. Cousins was a beast in Vegas and lookslike a real threat in the Rookie of the Year race.
-- July 17, 8:48 p.m. PT
Hang Time blog: Cousins' foul triple-double
Hang Time blog: Cousins bruised, confident
Hang Time blog: Cousins' debut gets chippy

Derrick Caracter :: Los Angeles Lakers

--

caracter-ladder3.jpg

Caracterfinished off his impressive Summer League with 10 points and sixrebounds in the Lakers' 80-71 loss to the Spurs. L.A. finished 0-5 inLas Vegas, but Caracter may have earned a long look from the Lakers'brass with his size, aggressiveness and array of low-post moves.
--July 15, 4:13 p.m. PT

Greg Monroe :: Detroit Pistons

--

monroe-ladder2.jpg

TheNo. 7 pick got better and better in each of the Pistons' five games inLas Vegas. In the finale, Monroe had 27 points and 14 rebounds and wasmore aggressive, showing off an array of moves. He finished withaverages of 14.6 points and 8.0 rebounds while shooting 52 percent fromthe floor.
-- July 16, 8:55 p.m. PT

Dominique Jones :: Dallas Mavericks

--

jones-ladder2.jpg

Jonesreturns to the Top 10 after another impressive game in which he showedoff his aggressiveness. Jones scored 28 points on 9-for-17 shootingwhile getting to the line 12 times, knocking down 10. Jones alsoguarded Washington's John Wall, helping to hold him to 4-for-19shooting.
-- July 15, 9:03 p.m. PT
• Garcia: Jones earns performer of the Day honors

July 15: Jones has 28 points in Mavs' 88-82 loss to the Wizards.

July 10: Dominique Jones has 10 points in his second game in Las Vegas.

July 9: Jones makes his Summer League debut with Dallas.

July 9: Dominique Jones talks to NBA TV about his debut in Vegas.

Landry Fields :: New York Knicks

fields-ladder2.jpg

Fieldsfinished up his run in Las Vegas with his fifth double-digit scoringgame. He ended with averages of 15.6 points and 4.8 rebounds and wasone of the revelations of Summer League. I leave Vegas impressed byFields' nose for the ball. His ability to do the dirty work could earnthe second-round pick out of Stanford playing time in New York.
-- July 17, 9:25 p.m. PT

July 17: Fields finishes off his five-game run in Las Vegas.

July 16: Fields has 15 points and six rebounds off the bench.

July 14: Fields has 19 points and four rebounds in the Knicks' loss to Toronto.

July 12: Fields has 17 points and five rebounds in his second game.

July 11: Fields has 13 points in his debut with the Knicks.

Gani Lawal :: Phoenix Suns

lawal-ladder.jpg

Lawal,the Suns' 46th pick, capped off a very productive Summer League with 14points with 10 rebounds for his second double-double. Lawal might havea hard time cracking the lineup this season, but he's got the size andeffort to make an impact off the bench.
-- July 15, 6:51 p.m. PT

Day 9: Saturday, July 17

Performance of the Day: Quincy Pondexter saved his best for last. The rookie forward erupted for 26 points as New Orleans finished up its five-game Summer League stay with a loss to Washington.

"I really wanted to come out and try to win games," Pondexter said. "We came up short. I had a lot of information to absorb in a short period of time because my contract didn't go through until just before we came here. It's just been a great experience. I loved every moment of it."

Drafted 26th out of Washington, the 6-foot-6 Pondexter became more productive as Summer League wore on. Saturday marked the third straight game he scored more points than the previous outing, and it eclipsed Friday's previous summer best by 10 points.

"I competed really hard," he said. "It's tough to find guys that come out and go hard every possession. That's what I try to do every game."

Hornets coach Monty Williams noticed.

"Quincy's a guy who plays with passion," he said. "He's showed a mid-range game, shot the ball really well. He defended John Wall better than anyone I saw this week."

Word in the Stands: Mike D'Antoni understands those who say it's been a disappointing NBA summer in the New York. Just don't expect him to agree.

"That's definitely unfair," the Knicks coach said. "I can understand why people say that. People wanted us to get two of the biggest names and we ended up with one. Yeah, if you're expected two, you'd be disappointed, but I think we came out with a really good piece."

Former Suns star Amar'e Stoudemire was that piece, reuniting with D'Antoni after two years. Stoudemire is not only New York's new franchise player, he's doing his best to play Pied Piper. Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul rumors are big in the Big Apple.

D'Antoni acknowledges that Stoudemire could be an ace recruiter in the summers that follow.

"I'm sure he will and that could happen," said D'Antoni, going into this third season with the Knicks. "Hopefully we have a lot of guys that want to stay here, so we just have to see where we are. We like where we are, but we can add pieces as we go forward. We're pretty flexible with our contracts. We're filling up pretty good."

The offseason wasn't just about Amar'e. D'Antoni is looking forward to the veteran presence Raymond Felton and Ronny Turiaf bring to a young roister, and the untapped potential of Anthony Randolph.

Under the Radar: After a year spent in Israel, Dionte Christmas is back at Summer League. The former Temple standout who led the Atlantic 10 in scoring for two straight years finishes up a five-game run with Sacramento on Sunday. Christmas scored 13 in 16 minutes in a one-point win over Chicago.

John Wall :: Washington Wizards

--

wall-ladder2.jpg

Walltook the final day off in Vegas after wrapping up a spectacular -- attimes -- Summer League. Wall took over in his fourth game, and heregained the top spot. After a slow start, Wall took over, helping theWizards rally for a 90-89 win. Wall finished with 31 points on just10-for-23 shooting, but his aggressiveness was the key to Washington'scomeback Thursday.
-- July 17, 6:59 .m. PT

DeMarcus Cousins :: Sacramento Kings

--

cousins-ladder.jpg

Cousinshad his second straight subpar game Saturday, struggling from the field(3-for-15), but his averages still stand up well. Over his five games,Cousins put up averages of 17.8 points and 11.5 rebounds, not tooshabby even for Summer League. Cousins was a beast in Vegas and lookslike a real threat in the Rookie of the Year race.
-- July 17, 8:48 p.m. PT
Hang Time blog: Cousins' foul triple-double
Hang Time blog: Cousins bruised, confident
Hang Time blog: Cousins' debut gets chippy

Derrick Caracter :: Los Angeles Lakers

--

caracter-ladder3.jpg

Caracterfinished off his impressive Summer League with 10 points and sixrebounds in the Lakers' 80-71 loss to the Spurs. L.A. finished 0-5 inLas Vegas, but Caracter may have earned a long look from the Lakers'brass with his size, aggressiveness and array of low-post moves.
--July 15, 4:13 p.m. PT

Greg Monroe :: Detroit Pistons

--

monroe-ladder2.jpg

TheNo. 7 pick got better and better in each of the Pistons' five games inLas Vegas. In the finale, Monroe had 27 points and 14 rebounds and wasmore aggressive, showing off an array of moves. He finished withaverages of 14.6 points and 8.0 rebounds while shooting 52 percent fromthe floor.
-- July 16, 8:55 p.m. PT

Dominique Jones :: Dallas Mavericks

--

jones-ladder2.jpg

Jonesreturns to the Top 10 after another impressive game in which he showedoff his aggressiveness. Jones scored 28 points on 9-for-17 shootingwhile getting to the line 12 times, knocking down 10. Jones alsoguarded Washington's John Wall, helping to hold him to 4-for-19shooting.
-- July 15, 9:03 p.m. PT
• Garcia: Jones earns performer of the Day honors

July 15: Jones has 28 points in Mavs' 88-82 loss to the Wizards.

July 10: Dominique Jones has 10 points in his second game in Las Vegas.

July 9: Jones makes his Summer League debut with Dallas.

July 9: Dominique Jones talks to NBA TV about his debut in Vegas.

Landry Fields :: New York Knicks

fields-ladder2.jpg

Fieldsfinished up his run in Las Vegas with his fifth double-digit scoringgame. He ended with averages of 15.6 points and 4.8 rebounds and wasone of the revelations of Summer League. I leave Vegas impressed byFields' nose for the ball. His ability to do the dirty work could earnthe second-round pick out of Stanford playing time in New York.
-- July 17, 9:25 p.m. PT

July 17: Fields finishes off his five-game run in Las Vegas.

July 16: Fields has 15 points and six rebounds off the bench.

July 14: Fields has 19 points and four rebounds in the Knicks' loss to Toronto.

July 12: Fields has 17 points and five rebounds in his second game.

July 11: Fields has 13 points in his debut with the Knicks.

Gani Lawal :: Phoenix Suns

lawal-ladder.jpg

Lawal,the Suns' 46th pick, capped off a very productive Summer League with 14points with 10 rebounds for his second double-double. Lawal might havea hard time cracking the lineup this season, but he's got the size andeffort to make an impact off the bench.
-- July 15, 6:51 p.m. PT

Back
Top Bottom