Official NBA Summer League Thread. Final Day starts at 4pm eastern time

Ed Davis :: Toronto Raptors

--

davis-ladder2.jpg

Davisquietly had a decent five-game run in Vegas. In the Raptors' finaled,Davis had 14 points and six rebounds in just 18 minutes. Davis scoredin double-digits in four of the five games and finished with averagesof 12.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks. He won't be Chris Bosh,but the No. 13 pick could be a big contributor off the bench.
-- July 17, 9:25 p.m. PT

Quincy Pondexter :: New Orleans Hornets

NR

pondexter-ladder.jpg

QuincyPondexter saved his best for last. The guard out of UW scored 26 pointsin Saturday in the Hornets' finale. In five games, Pondexter averaged15.2 points in Las Vegas and got better as the week progressed."Quincy's a guy who plays with passion," Hornets coach Mondty Williams."He defended John Wall better than anyone I saw this week."
-- July 17, 7:19 p.m. PT

[h1]Video & Analysis[/h1] http://

Larry Sanders :: Milwaukee Bucks

sanders-ladder.jpg

Sanders'versatility was once again on display Friday night as he had 14 points,eight rebounds and five blocks in the Bucks' 78-58 loss. Sanders hasshowed off a versatility that could earn him playing time come theregular season, especially if he continues to defend like he is.
-- July 16, 9:55 p.m. PT

July 15: Sanders has nine points and 13 rebounds in loss to Hawks.

July 13: The Grizzlies stun the Bucks with a last-second bucket.

July 13: Sanders ties the game with a 3-pointer with .7 left.

July 12: Sanders makes his debut in Las Vegas.

Ed Davis :: Toronto Raptors

--

davis-ladder2.jpg

Davisquietly had a decent five-game run in Vegas. In the Raptors' finaled,Davis had 14 points and six rebounds in just 18 minutes. Davis scoredin double-digits in four of the five games and finished with averagesof 12.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks. He won't be Chris Bosh,but the No. 13 pick could be a big contributor off the bench.
-- July 17, 9:25 p.m. PT

Quincy Pondexter :: New Orleans Hornets

NR

pondexter-ladder.jpg

QuincyPondexter saved his best for last. The guard out of UW scored 26 pointsin Saturday in the Hornets' finale. In five games, Pondexter averaged15.2 points in Las Vegas and got better as the week progressed."Quincy's a guy who plays with passion," Hornets coach Mondty Williams."He defended John Wall better than anyone I saw this week."
-- July 17, 7:19 p.m. PT

[h1]Video & Analysis[/h1] http://

Larry Sanders :: Milwaukee Bucks

sanders-ladder.jpg

Sanders'versatility was once again on display Friday night as he had 14 points,eight rebounds and five blocks in the Bucks' 78-58 loss. Sanders hasshowed off a versatility that could earn him playing time come theregular season, especially if he continues to defend like he is.
-- July 16, 9:55 p.m. PT

July 15: Sanders has nine points and 13 rebounds in loss to Hawks.

July 13: The Grizzlies stun the Bucks with a last-second bucket.

July 13: Sanders ties the game with a 3-pointer with .7 left.

July 12: Sanders makes his debut in Las Vegas.

Derrick Caracter will play a big role for the Lakers next season. They have no depth behind Pau, Bynum and Odom. He could be the Laker's version of Big Baby

Derrick Caracter will play a big role for the Lakers next season. They have no depth behind Pau, Bynum and Odom. He could be the Laker's version of Big Baby

Bledsoe should of kept his @%* at Kentucky. I know @$@+ is new to you, but damn pick up the pace son. You are a disappointment right now

Bledsoe should of kept his @%* at Kentucky. I know @$@+ is new to you, but damn pick up the pace son. You are a disappointment right now

Originally Posted by got shoes

Refs are so bad in summer league, and these are the next era of refs. ha!!!!!!!!!
they are bad for the most part, but they are also auditioning too, that's prob why so many fouls are called.

Refs are so bad in summer league, and these are the next era of refs. ha!!!!!!!!!
they are bad for the most part, but they are also auditioning too, that's prob why so many fouls are called.

laugh.gif
Dude is garbage, He is the next Randy Foye, no question.

laugh.gif
Dude is garbage, He is the next Randy Foye, no question.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

It's also because a lot of these guys don't know how the game is officiated compared to NCAA.

There's no foul-out in SL, so the refs will keep calling fouls until the players learn to stop doing whatever they are doing.

It's a good learning experience for both player and referee.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

It's also because a lot of these guys don't know how the game is officiated compared to NCAA.

There's no foul-out in SL, so the refs will keep calling fouls until the players learn to stop doing whatever they are doing.

It's a good learning experience for both player and referee.

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

How did Cousins win Rookie of the Month already? I thought it was going to Wall for sure...
By going 1-12 with 5 turnover apparently.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Kings look like trash in this game.
roll.gif

How did Cousins win Rookie of the Month already? I thought it was going to Wall for sure...
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

roll.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

roll.gif
The Kings summer league team is trash. Yet they have a 4-1 record that will turn into 4-2 probably. Not bad. How are the Mavs doing with their record?
laugh.gif

Jeremy Lin FTW tho!

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

roll.gif
The Kings summer league team is trash. Yet they have a 4-1 record that will turn into 4-2 probably. Not bad. How are the Mavs doing with their record?
laugh.gif

Jeremy Lin FTW tho!

http://sports.espn.go.com...plan_jeff&id=5387547

Looks like maybe Lin CAN make it to the Mavs..
nerd.gif

I knew he'd make a roster, but not ours.

Spoiler [+]
AS VEGAS -- That nice little story about Ivy Leaguer Jeremy Lin getting a shot with the Dallas Mavericks' summer league team is about to get serious.
Lin is on the verge of signing an NBA contract, and it could be withthe Mavericks, who view him as an intriguing developmental point guardand a strong candidate to run the club's new D-League affiliate thatbegins play this fall in Frisco.

"We'rein discussions as we speak," Mavs president of basketball operationsDonnie Nelson said Friday afternoon. "We are extremely interested inhim as a young player."

dal_g_lin1x_65.jpg

Lin

Suddenly, the playerdeemed too flawed in most major areas to survive in the NBA is incontract discussions with three teams, according to league sources. TheLos Angeles Lakers are believed to be one, with an Eastern Conference team the other.

"We know we could lose him just as easily," Nelson said.

Lin'sagent, Roger Montgomery, said additional teams inquired about theHarvard graduate Friday after Lin's exceptional effort Thursday nightwhen he battled toe-to-toe with John Wall, the Washington Wizards'No. 1 overall draft pick. While those other teams could be considered,the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Lin is studying the roster fit of the threefrontrunners. Montgomery and Nelson are expected to talk in the next 48hours, with Lin's decision expected soon afterward.

"Ihaven't slept much in a while. It's been really exciting," Lin said."Obviously, it's a dream come true and it's great to be able to getthat offer now in the summer league than have to go through trainingcamp. I can't remember the last time I've had problems sleeping. It'sbeen a crazy day or two."

If financial offers and plans for Lin'sdevelopment are relatively equal, he seems to have an affinity for theMavs and Nelson, who was the first NBA executive to latch onto him inApril at the Portsmouth Invitational, and the only one to offer Lin asummer league roster spot.

"He said he loved my game and the wayI played and my basketball IQ, but then he said, 'I think you're aboutone year away from the NBA, so I want you to come play for my D-Leagueteam,' " Lin said. "That's how it started. He didn't draft me becausehe still thought I needed a year to develop, but he wanted me to comeplay for them, get comfortable with the city, get comfortable with theorganization."

Lin arrived in Las Vegas with NBA executiveslabeling him as a 'tweener, unsure if he's a point guard or a shootingguard or good enough to play either. But Lin's aggressive drives,combative defense, court savvy and leadership have knocked the socksoff those executives -- who now deem him a combo guard -- and turnedLin into a crowd favorite. And now, the skinny point guard out of PaloAlto (Calif.) High School, who could only garner walk-on invites fromPac-10 schools, is about to make his and his family's dreams come true.

Throughoutthe summer league, Lin's father, Gie-Ming, his mother, Shirley, and histwo brothers, Josh and Joseph, have watched every minute. PeterDiepenbrock, Lin's high school coach and an enthusiastic promoter,arrived for Thursday's game and will remain through the weekend as theMavs' squad closes out the five-game summer league Sunday.

"Whenyou talk about what he's done this week here, he's turned the thinkingabout him from a negative to a positive," said Diepenbrock, who won aCalifornia state championship with Lin in 2006. "The other thing isJeremy is a point guard. He played off-guard in college, but in myopinion Jeremy is a point guard. He is the ultimate leader. We talkabout his basketball ability and all that, but he is a guy who speakshis mind.

"When he was a freshman in high school, he's telling seniors,'You're supposed to go here, you're supposed to do this,' because hehas just an innate feel for the game and a confidence in that feelingthat he knows exactly what people should be doing, when they should bedoing it and he's not afraid to speak his mind. The point guard, firstand foremost, is a leader on the floor."

Lin could become thefirst Harvard player in the NBA since Ed Smith in 1953. As a senior,Lin nearly guided the non-scholarship Crimson to its first NCAATournament berth since 1946. He averaged 16.4 points and 4.4 rebounds.He went undrafted and was widely considered a nice story but not an NBAplayer.

Much like his 8.0 scoring average with 2.0 assists and2.3 rebounds in 15.7 minutes in four summer league games, Lin's statline doesn't tell the whole story of his production and value. The Mavscame to Las Vegas seeking to train the electrifying guard Rodrigue Beauboisto run the point but will leave knowing that Lin -- while not thecomplete athlete or pure shooter as Beaubois -- is the superior pointguard.

Lin took over the team for much of the second halfagainst the Wizards as Beaubois sat on a poor outing and a slight ankleinjury. Lin gave Wall all he could handle at both ends while leading acomeback and drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd with several fearlessdrives to the rim.

If Lin signs with the Mavs, he could give thempotential long-term insurance in case Beaubois does not develop ashoped as a floor leader.

"He makes everybody else around himbetter. That's a sign of a real player," Nelson said. "A lot of times,and we've been through this before with a guy like Steve Nash,people have a hard time projecting certain players. I just know everyteam those guys were on won. Jeremy's got some of the samecharacteristics."

Lin's father saw it almost immediately when heput a basketball in the hands of his three sons at an early age. Allthree grew up playing all the time. Lin's older brother, Josh, stokedthe competitive juices in Jeremy and younger brother, Joseph, who willbe a freshman member of the basketball team at Dickinson College inCarlisle, Pa., this fall.

"It's been all of our dreams to go to the NBA," Joseph said, "and he's actually going."

Gie-Ming came to America from Taiwan in 1977. He met his wife,Shirley, who also emigrated from Taiwan, at Old Dominion University inVirginia. That's where Gie-Ming started watching games on TV andinstantly fell in love with basketball. He studied players such asJulius Erving, Moses Malone, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and the Lin boys' favorite player, Michael Jordan.

Heplayed pick-up games with his sons three times a week and taught themthe moves of the pros he saw on TV. As they got older, Gie-Ming tookthem to Golden State Warriors games and watched games on TV every chance they could.

"One time, in high school, he went to the AAU national tournament,"Gie-Ming said. "And when we got home, I told him that I hope one day Ican see him on national TV."

That day could be rapidly approaching.

pimp.gif
Damn played against Lin's brother in highschool. didnt except him to be doing so good.

http://sports.espn.go.com...plan_jeff&id=5387547

Looks like maybe Lin CAN make it to the Mavs..
nerd.gif

I knew he'd make a roster, but not ours.

Spoiler [+]
AS VEGAS -- That nice little story about Ivy Leaguer Jeremy Lin getting a shot with the Dallas Mavericks' summer league team is about to get serious.
Lin is on the verge of signing an NBA contract, and it could be withthe Mavericks, who view him as an intriguing developmental point guardand a strong candidate to run the club's new D-League affiliate thatbegins play this fall in Frisco.

"We'rein discussions as we speak," Mavs president of basketball operationsDonnie Nelson said Friday afternoon. "We are extremely interested inhim as a young player."

dal_g_lin1x_65.jpg

Lin

Suddenly, the playerdeemed too flawed in most major areas to survive in the NBA is incontract discussions with three teams, according to league sources. TheLos Angeles Lakers are believed to be one, with an Eastern Conference team the other.

"We know we could lose him just as easily," Nelson said.

Lin'sagent, Roger Montgomery, said additional teams inquired about theHarvard graduate Friday after Lin's exceptional effort Thursday nightwhen he battled toe-to-toe with John Wall, the Washington Wizards'No. 1 overall draft pick. While those other teams could be considered,the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Lin is studying the roster fit of the threefrontrunners. Montgomery and Nelson are expected to talk in the next 48hours, with Lin's decision expected soon afterward.

"Ihaven't slept much in a while. It's been really exciting," Lin said."Obviously, it's a dream come true and it's great to be able to getthat offer now in the summer league than have to go through trainingcamp. I can't remember the last time I've had problems sleeping. It'sbeen a crazy day or two."

If financial offers and plans for Lin'sdevelopment are relatively equal, he seems to have an affinity for theMavs and Nelson, who was the first NBA executive to latch onto him inApril at the Portsmouth Invitational, and the only one to offer Lin asummer league roster spot.

"He said he loved my game and the wayI played and my basketball IQ, but then he said, 'I think you're aboutone year away from the NBA, so I want you to come play for my D-Leagueteam,' " Lin said. "That's how it started. He didn't draft me becausehe still thought I needed a year to develop, but he wanted me to comeplay for them, get comfortable with the city, get comfortable with theorganization."

Lin arrived in Las Vegas with NBA executiveslabeling him as a 'tweener, unsure if he's a point guard or a shootingguard or good enough to play either. But Lin's aggressive drives,combative defense, court savvy and leadership have knocked the socksoff those executives -- who now deem him a combo guard -- and turnedLin into a crowd favorite. And now, the skinny point guard out of PaloAlto (Calif.) High School, who could only garner walk-on invites fromPac-10 schools, is about to make his and his family's dreams come true.

Throughoutthe summer league, Lin's father, Gie-Ming, his mother, Shirley, and histwo brothers, Josh and Joseph, have watched every minute. PeterDiepenbrock, Lin's high school coach and an enthusiastic promoter,arrived for Thursday's game and will remain through the weekend as theMavs' squad closes out the five-game summer league Sunday.

"Whenyou talk about what he's done this week here, he's turned the thinkingabout him from a negative to a positive," said Diepenbrock, who won aCalifornia state championship with Lin in 2006. "The other thing isJeremy is a point guard. He played off-guard in college, but in myopinion Jeremy is a point guard. He is the ultimate leader. We talkabout his basketball ability and all that, but he is a guy who speakshis mind.

"When he was a freshman in high school, he's telling seniors,'You're supposed to go here, you're supposed to do this,' because hehas just an innate feel for the game and a confidence in that feelingthat he knows exactly what people should be doing, when they should bedoing it and he's not afraid to speak his mind. The point guard, firstand foremost, is a leader on the floor."

Lin could become thefirst Harvard player in the NBA since Ed Smith in 1953. As a senior,Lin nearly guided the non-scholarship Crimson to its first NCAATournament berth since 1946. He averaged 16.4 points and 4.4 rebounds.He went undrafted and was widely considered a nice story but not an NBAplayer.

Much like his 8.0 scoring average with 2.0 assists and2.3 rebounds in 15.7 minutes in four summer league games, Lin's statline doesn't tell the whole story of his production and value. The Mavscame to Las Vegas seeking to train the electrifying guard Rodrigue Beauboisto run the point but will leave knowing that Lin -- while not thecomplete athlete or pure shooter as Beaubois -- is the superior pointguard.

Lin took over the team for much of the second halfagainst the Wizards as Beaubois sat on a poor outing and a slight ankleinjury. Lin gave Wall all he could handle at both ends while leading acomeback and drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd with several fearlessdrives to the rim.

If Lin signs with the Mavs, he could give thempotential long-term insurance in case Beaubois does not develop ashoped as a floor leader.

"He makes everybody else around himbetter. That's a sign of a real player," Nelson said. "A lot of times,and we've been through this before with a guy like Steve Nash,people have a hard time projecting certain players. I just know everyteam those guys were on won. Jeremy's got some of the samecharacteristics."

Lin's father saw it almost immediately when heput a basketball in the hands of his three sons at an early age. Allthree grew up playing all the time. Lin's older brother, Josh, stokedthe competitive juices in Jeremy and younger brother, Joseph, who willbe a freshman member of the basketball team at Dickinson College inCarlisle, Pa., this fall.

"It's been all of our dreams to go to the NBA," Joseph said, "and he's actually going."

Gie-Ming came to America from Taiwan in 1977. He met his wife,Shirley, who also emigrated from Taiwan, at Old Dominion University inVirginia. That's where Gie-Ming started watching games on TV andinstantly fell in love with basketball. He studied players such asJulius Erving, Moses Malone, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and the Lin boys' favorite player, Michael Jordan.

Heplayed pick-up games with his sons three times a week and taught themthe moves of the pros he saw on TV. As they got older, Gie-Ming tookthem to Golden State Warriors games and watched games on TV every chance they could.

"One time, in high school, he went to the AAU national tournament,"Gie-Ming said. "And when we got home, I told him that I hope one day Ican see him on national TV."

That day could be rapidly approaching.

pimp.gif
Damn played against Lin's brother in highschool. didnt except him to be doing so good.

Back
Top Bottom