OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought this up during the Texans game. Did fans leave and go with the Titans and then become Texans fans? I always wonder about things like this in sports.

There's a bunch of things that happened. Some Oilers fans were completely turned off with the Oilers moving to Tennessee, and didn't move with them, and most of those are the ones that became Texans fans when they formed, along with the people who were just so glad to have a team back here. Some figured they're still the Oilers (and eventually Titans, but keeping Oiler lineage) and went ahead and supported them. Some Oiler fans became Cowboy fans since they're in the same state. Other Oiler fans just grew attached to other random teams, which is why there's small pockets of Packers, Pats, and probably the most annoying of them all, Colts fans here. Also can't forget about the Saints fans due to Katrina, and Seahawks fans because of the 2013 Superbowl. Have to remember there was a 5 year gap between the Oilers leaving and the Texans arriving.

Problem with the raiders and chargers hometowns is its like they are waiting for some dead uncle to appear with the money they need to help keep the team.

I get what your saying. I guess an even easier way to say it is that when the team moves its not the players you where connected to but the team and the name and the colors and the logo and the city they where meant to represent. Players come and go but that is the constant and when a team moves and what was constant is now gone it can be very difficult to cope with.
I mean Im still connected to the players. The context just becomes different for me

When a team not only moves but changes its entire identity (minus still trying to hold on to historical stats and references)...It's hard to still have a connection with that.
Why?

Imagine for a second (you'll have to really use your imagination here) if the Cubs won the world series.

You think I need the city of Chicago to help me feel emotion?

Ima be in Oregon cryin like a lil girl with a skinned knee & ****. Bactine all in the wound.

And if they lose the world series, same emotion.

I'm not connected to my team(s)?

The hell I ain't.
laugh.gif

I don't need cities, neighbors, Homer announcers, newspapers to tell me how to feel. I live and breathe my teams year round. And I live in a **** hole state.
laugh.gif
Imagine if the Cubs moved to North Dakota and become the North Dakota Boredoms.

and the Cubs are birthed again years later....win a world series

You have no feeling whatsoever to that win because you stuck with the team that moved? The history and everything you invested in before isnt with the Cubs, albeit being a new franchise in this case?

Imagine the uproar in Chciago if the Cubs were about to move but then again so people wouldn't understand that :wink:

I have team pride.
You wouldn't understand.

So if your Oakland A's left for somewhere back east you'd still be an A's fan?

I was being sarcastic to his post.
But Yes.
If the Lakers went back to Minnesota I'd still be a Lakers fan.
Dolphins went to Russia...

Doesn't matter. These are the teams I've invested in since I was a tyke. I have a deep history with them, with my surroundings.

Not the bay area.
Not oakland.
Not California.

Dolphins.
Hurricanes.
Lakers.
A's.

Age has a lot to do with rooting interests also. I doubt any Pats fans miss the Boston Braves or care for their history. They are now the Washington Redtails.

When your hometown team or alma mater wins the championship, its magic. its hard to explain, its one of the best days of your life.

Last edited:
NO ONE in seattle roots for the Thunder. I don't know anyone who wasn't happy they missed the playoffs last year. Everyone here is counting the days till kd and/or westbrook leaves. we were ROBBED by a dishonest owner with the help of satan aka david stern. all of this after years of horrible teams that ended up 10-14 in the lottery year after year. picking guys like luke ridnour/nick collison (back to back in the 1st round :stoneface: ). don't forget robert swift, john petro, and mouhamed sene in the 1st round 3 years in a row 0] . we finally become terrible enough to end up with the number 2 pick and grab a generational talent in durant, who everyone in seattle knew was going to be a future mvp/all star/hof. we have him for one year and boom...stolen and moved to OKC. people of OKC get to watch durant basically his whole career along with westbrook (also drafted by the sonics) when the fans of seattle were the ones who had to suffer and watch a team get destroyed by horrible drafting year after year after year. :smh: **** aint right man.

Last edited:
And side note, I told my wife before we were anything...

You will either cheat on me or you won't. You'll either be faithful or you won't. Nothing I can do about it if you do, but always know I have my options too. And your best friends all have my number.

NO ONE in seattle roots for the Thunder.

Kids root for the Thunder. LOTS of kids. Trust me. The Thunder are more popular than the Warriors. Your average 13 or 14-year-old in Seattle has almost no recollection of the Sonics at this point, so they root for what they know. Anyone younger than that has zero recollection.

Kids root for the Thunder. LOTS of kids. Trust me. The Thunder are more popular than the Warriors. Your average 13 or 14-year-old in Seattle has almost no recollection of the Sonics at this point, so they root for what they know. Anyone younger than that has zero recollection.

i don't acknowledge their existence :lol:

i could see why they would. everyone i know grew up watching the sonics play though.

That's the point I was making in my last post above. Age plays a factor in rooting interest when teams move around. After time passes the youth will grow and the former team forgotten.

Let's chill on calling everyone mindless

There are two different angles to this. I can see both sides.

Wait but you never call out the super friends...

Last edited by a moderator:

I get what your saying. I guess an even easier way to say it is that when the team moves its not the players you where connected to but the team and the name and the colors and the logo and the city they where meant to represent. Players come and go but that is the constant and when a team moves and what was constant is now gone it can be very difficult to cope with.
I mean Im still connected to the players. The context just becomes different for me

When a team not only moves but changes its entire identity (minus still trying to hold on to historical stats and references)...It's hard to still have a connection with that.

Why?

Imagine for a second (you'll have to really use your imagination here) if the Cubs won the world series.

You think I need the city of Chicago to help me feel emotion?

Ima be in Oregon cryin like a lil girl with a skinned knee
Imagine if the Cubs moved to North Dakota and become the North Dakota Boredoms.

and the Cubs are birthed again years later....win a world series

You have no feeling whatsoever to that win because you stuck with the team that moved? The history and everything you invested in before isnt with the Cubs, albeit being a new franchise in this case?

The same exact team in Chicago, as the Cubs, would be the same the next day in North Dakota, as the Boredoms.

Same players I root for today, would be the players I root for tomorrow.

If some expansion team is birthed in Chicago, named the Cubs, its not the franchise I've followed since I was in diapers.

Lakers, Fins, Canes, same thing. I root for the team, not the city.

NO ONE in seattle roots for the Thunder. I don't know anyone who wasn't happy they missed the playoffs last year. Everyone here is counting the days till kd and/or westbrook leaves. we were ROBBED by a dishonest owner with the help of satan aka david stern. all of this after years of horrible teams that ended up 10-14 in the lottery year after year. picking guys like luke ridnour/nick collison (back to back in the 1st round :stoneface: ). don't forget robert swift, john petro, and mouhamed sene in the 1st round 3 years in a row 0] . we finally become terrible enough to end up with the number 2 pick and grab a generational talent in durant, who everyone in seattle knew was going to be a future mvp/all star/hof. we have him for one year and boom...stolen and moved to OKC. people of OKC get to watch durant basically his whole career along with westbrook (also drafted by the sonics) when the fans of seattle were the ones who had to suffer and watch a team get destroyed by horrible drafting year after year after year. :smh: **** aint right man.

I feel for the basketball fans in Seattle. Never liked the move to OKC and never thought it was right how the team really moved out there.

Why didn't the city just build a new arena though? Key Center was in pretty rough shape.

I was a little uncomfortable about the wives comments but let it go

We don't need it being resurrected

Let it go? It was brought up multiple times with me, but I'm supposed to let it go.

lol. Come on now.

Let me go run and complain about the big bad bullies on here first and say how you're unfair and protect people... oh wait...

That's only a few others on here. My bad, didn't mean to steal a gimmick.

I feel for the basketball fans in Seattle. Never liked the move to OKC and never thought it was right how the team really moved out there.

Why didn't the city just build a new arena though? Key Center was in pretty rough shape.

Because the only offer on the table was a $500 million fully tax payer funded arena, which was never going to happen. They did it on purpose, knowing the city/state wouldn't approve it. So they used it as the official excuse to move the team.

basically clay bennett wouldn't compromise at all because he wanted to move the team to his home (okc) all along. his claims he "tried" to get a deal done by proposing a $500 million dollar arena in renton washington...which is like subarbish type of city.. and he wanted it 100% funded by tax dollars. he basically drew up a proposal that would never pass.

And side note, I told my wife before we were anything...

You will either cheat on me or you won't. You'll either be faithful or you won't. Nothing I can do about it if you do, but always know I have my options too. And your best friends all have my number.

Sorry for sounding slow but what does that mean? Does that mean your friends are options too?

basically clay bennett wouldn't compromise at all because he wanted to move the team to his home (okc) all along. his claims he "tried" to get a deal done by proposing a $500 million dollar arena in renton washington...which is like subarbish type of city.. and he wanted it 100% funded by tax dollars. he basically drew up a proposal that would never pass.

That's right. I think I saw some documentary on YouTube a few years ago about this whole saga. There were leaked emails discussing how the Thunder would move to OKC as planned. I remember the guy at the end saying the only way Seattle will ever get another team is exactly how they lost the Sonics.

Makes me dislike the Thunder even more after watching. At least Seattle got keep the team name and all the championship in 79.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom