OFFICIAL NHL PLAYOFFS THREAD...

fade on you you are trying way to hard to rub the loss into people's faces.. be happy but give the other side some props also

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Sounds like your doing all the crying....its 6-2 son sit down.
Sit down? Seriously?... We haven't heard from you all season until the Penguins started going on their little run. And now you come in hereand start %*!! with us?

Where were you in the first few months of the season when the Pens were below 500?
Where were you when the Capitals were leading 2-0 in this series?

And you tell DoubleJs to sit down?...
grin.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Fade On You
indifferent.gif
Go away.

And DoubleJ i been livin in Pittsburgh for 22 years son
indifferent.gif

You know how many NATIVE Washingtonians just got into the Caps over the past 2 years? You can still be bandwagon...even in your own city.

Where were you in the first few months of the season when the Pens were below 500?

nerd.gif

heard something very interesting on the herd this morning. hockey has a terrible market because it bombed on espn and nbc. But I think hockey fans don'tcare really, I mean would you really want a bunch of people on espn covering hockey? they murder the names and can't even tell you anything about the sport(remember the kiprusoff youtube video about 10 pages back?) But anyways congrats pens I can't believe it ended like that but oh well I'm really excitedabout western finals!

Originally Posted by smoke ya later

heard something very interesting on the herd this morning. hockey has a terrible market because it bombed on espn and nbc. But I think hockey fans don't care really, I mean would you really want a bunch of people on espn covering hockey? they murder the names and can't even tell you anything about the sport (remember the kiprusoff youtube video about 10 pages back?) But anyways congrats pens I can't believe it ended like that but oh well I'm really excited about western finals!
i don't think it would bomb now.. there's a lot more star power now, and if ESPN promoted it the way they do yankees/red sox regularseason games even, it would fly in the ratings.

I think ESPN really has it backwards at this point - they are such self-promoters in the sports world, they can drive the ratings up or down on almost anythingdepending on how much they want to cover something. If the product is actually a decent piece of entertainment, as playoff hockey certainly is, it just becomeexponential for them.

I would not be surprised to see ESPN back in the hockey market very soon, given how much young talent is in the league.

heard something very interesting on the herd this morning. hockey has a terrible market because it bombed on espn and nbc. But I think hockey fans don't care really, I mean would you really want a bunch of people on espn covering hockey? they murder the names and can't even tell you anything about the sport (remember the kiprusoff youtube video about 10 pages back?) But anyways congrats pens I can't believe it ended like that but oh well I'm really excited about western finals!
Hardcore hockey fans will follow the sport regardless. If you put it on ESPN, you lure in more of the casual fans. The lockout crippled the NHLproduct and they lost that fanbase. The casual fan isn't going to go out of their way to find the Versus network. If hockey goes back on ESPN, then youreach a much wider audience.

I think it's only a matter of time before it's back on the network again. I mean, excitement is starting to build surrounding the sport. You have somany young studs under...yes, UNDER 25 (Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Kessel, E. Staal, etc etc) that if they do in fact make thejump to ESPN, all of them (and not just Ovechkin and Crosby) will hopefully become household names with the causal fan and help get the NHL back in themainstream.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

i don't think it would bomb now.. there's a lot more star power now, and if ESPN promoted it the way they do yankees/red sox regular season games even, it would fly in the ratings.

I think ESPN really has it backwards at this point - they are such self-promoters in the sports world, they can drive the ratings up or down on almost anything depending on how much they want to cover something. If the product is actually a decent piece of entertainment, as playoff hockey certainly is, it just become exponential for them.

I would not be surprised to see ESPN back in the hockey market very soon, given how much young talent is in the league.

yeah but you still have to realize in the U.S. NFL, baseball and the NBA are always going to be on top no matter what kind of steroid scandal is going on. Youknow what kind of people own season tickets in Phoenix and Tampa are? All transplants from Detroit and other hockey cities from the northeast and such.

i don't think it would bomb now.. there's a lot more star power now, and if ESPN promoted it the way they do yankees/red sox regular season games even, it would fly in the ratings.

I think ESPN really has it backwards at this point - they are such self-promoters in the sports world, they can drive the ratings up or down on almost anything depending on how much they want to cover something. If the product is actually a decent piece of entertainment, as playoff hockey certainly is, it just become exponential for them.

yeah but you still have to realize in the U.S. NFL, baseball and the NBA are always going to be on top no matter what kind of steroid scandal is going on. You know what kind of people own season tickets in Phoenix and Tampa are? All transplants from Detroit and other hockey cities from the northeast and such.

again though - it works both ways, those sports are top dawg in the US because of the media, and the media covers them because they're top dogs.. it'sa self-fulfilling prophecy for both the leagues and the media companies.. so long as the consumers keep eating it up, they see no reason to change things. itdoesn't mean they're superior sports, it's just what they've gotten to work here the last 20 years and they'll ride it out until thingsstart dying down in the ratings again. Then something else will pop up.

yeah but you still have to realize in the U.S. NFL, baseball and the NBA are always going to be on top no matter what kind of steroid scandal is going on. You know what kind of people own season tickets in Phoenix and Tampa are? All transplants from Detroit and other hockey cities from the northeast and such.

again though - it works both ways, those sports are top dawg in the US because of the media, and the media covers them because they're top dogs.. it's a self-fulfilling prophecy for both the leagues and the media companies.. so long as the consumers keep eating it up, they see no reason to change things. it doesn't mean they're superior sports, it's just what they've gotten to work here the last 20 years and they'll ride it out until things start dying down in the ratings again. Then something else will pop up.
hopefully hockey will. But then again I like when only a few people you know can talk hockey rather than a huge fan-base.

I just try to get the "non-hockey" fan to one game live, regardless if college, any of the minor leagues or NHL. People get hooked quick

DoubleJ's you have the BEST avy in the history of NT.
roll.gif

Went to Hooters to catch the game and get the 5.99 wings tonight. Not what I was expecting, but I'm happy the Bruins wont have to face Ovie, pending Game7. *knockonwood*

hopefully hockey will. But then again I like when only a few people you know can talk hockey rather than a huge fan-base.
Why wouldn't you want more people knowing about and/or following the sport? I'm a relatively new fan to hockey, but I'd love it if Icould talk about hockey with the same amount of people that I talk to about football, baseball, etc.

Just got back home....caught the 1st period and saw the 4th goal when Varlamov got pulled. Pens shocked me, I really didn't think they'd be able topull this off with such ease. Glad they did though, now I'm not looking as stupid for saying they're going back to the Finals.
ohwell.gif
pimp.gif

DoubleJs, no chance in hell Bruins OR the Canes will sweep Pittsburgh.........I know in your heart of hearts you don't believe that.
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Can't wait for the last 2 Game 7's to be played.......I'll be glued to my TV all tomorrow night.
pimp.gif

Its all about marketing, thats why they are pushing Crosby and Ovechkin, they are fun to watch.....They need high scoring like this to appeal to the broadmarket that are used to football and basketball scoring....remember baseball was about to fade into obscurity until big mac and then sosa.....people have shortattention spans and want to see action, not a proper hockey game....its the same reason soccer is not big here.....

either way I love watching and playing.......

Originally Posted by bjm5295

DoubleJ's you have the BEST avy in the history of NT.
roll.gif

Went to Hooters to catch the game and get the 5.99 wings tonight. Not what I was expecting, but I'm happy the Bruins wont have to face Ovie, pending Game 7. *knockonwood*
friend st?

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

Sounds like your doing all the crying....its 6-2 son sit down.
Sit down? Seriously?... We haven't heard from you all season until the Penguins started going on their little run. And now you come in here and start %*!! with us?

And you tell DoubleJs to sit down?...
grin.gif
Your still on me from last year, still salty, i love it. I aint gonna argue with two clowns on a messageboard about ice skating...with over 25,000 posts.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You guys are doin it real big.

Anyways it was a really good series, i was kinda surprised it went 7....and all that OT was crazy. The NHL really has some good matchups this post-season, imexcited to see how the conf finals picture turns out.

Originally Posted by Ziostilon

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

doublejs - anson carter?
pimp.gif

never really figured out why he wanted to leave the league

he still had a couple more years in him

Anson = THAT dude
pimp.gif

dreads were so big his helmet never fit..
laugh.gif

Maybe CQuan or someome could correct me, but I think AC has some sort of production company....he's got rappers and other people signed to his label andwhat not....I remember seeing something about it on ESPN a few years back...

Back
Top Bottom