official Notorious movie thread 1/16/2009- BROOKLYN YALL DID IT! STAND UP!

The entire borough of Brooklyn will be in the building
My First thoughts when this post and movie was made!!!

Sumthin is def gonna pop off that night!!! Brooklyn We Go Hard.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DMasta718

Yea. I'll check it out. I know first day Court street gonna be sold out. (BK heads know)
laugh.gif
That movie theater used to be nice. The hood took overfast. Watch the line wrap around Barnes and Noble.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Yea. I'll check it out. I know first day Court street gonna be sold out. (BK heads know)
laugh.gif
That movie theater used to be nice. The hood took over fast. Watch the line wrap around Barnes and Noble.
Word. They migrated from Kings Plaza
laugh.gif

I will be there opening night.. everytime the trailer comes on i spit the entire first verse to juicy.. i can't wait for this...

I would like to be in BK for it but apart of me doesn't all at once
too much noise from other people might kill it for me, I could see it with other ppl if its after the first go round for that hype feeling
catchin it in VA might not be bad, I doubt too many ppl are gonna be in those theaters

first review I seen...

Though there was little surprise by the end-how could there be?-"Notorious,'' a movie about the life and death of rapper Christopher Wallace(a.k.a. The Notorious B.I.G., a.k.a. Biggie Smalls, a.k.a. Biggie), still managed to stun, unsettle and move me. It's been 11 years since thestill-unsolved murder of the hip-hop icon, and the film does a wonderful job of revisiting that dangerous yet creatively rich time in music history. For ahip-hop fiend like me, it's a bittersweet journey to the days when the Cristal was overflowing, the bling was blinding and the performers burnedbrightly-but briefly.

The film begins with Wallace as a Catholic-school honor student (portrayed deftly, if a bit eerily, by his son Christopher Wallace Jr.), who gets teasedbecause of his dark skin and his weight. Despite the best efforts of his mother (Angela Bassett), the teenage Biggie ultimately gives in to the kind of peerpressure that turns into an all-too-familiar inner-city tale. He begins to deal drugs, becomes a top crack distributor and ends up in prison, where he focuseson his blossoming rhyming and writing skills. Once he gets out, Wallace (played by Jamal Woolard as an adult) competes in freestyle rap competitions onBrooklyn street corners and comes to the attention of a guy who "knows motherf---kers who know motherf---kers" who introduce him to a young producernamed Sean (Puffy) Combs (Derek Luke). Watching the actors lip-sync to "Big Poppa'' and "Juicy'' onstage made me still want to bust amove some 10 years later. Along the way, Wallace hooks up with other hip-hop royalty, including Kimberly Jones, who later becomes Lil' Kim. As I watchedtheir dysfunctional partnership on screen, I couldn't help hoping that the end could somehow be different for the Queen Bee, even as I flashed back to theconversations we'd had when she spoke sadly of trying to please Wallace by undergoing plastic surgery to fit his beauty ideal.

Then there's Tupac. "Notorious'' goes to great lengths to emphasize the friendship Tupac Shakur and Wallace shared before bad blood taintednot just their relationship but the entire rap community. Shakur (Anthony Mackie) comes across as the charming and moody man he was, initially celebrating thesuccess of Wallace's first album and giving him tips on dealing with the downside of fame. But a tumultuous marriage to singer Faith Evans, financialresponsibilities and his mother's bout with breast cancer all caused Wallace's world to falter. It completely implodes when Shakur is shot and injuredin the lobby of a New York record studio and he accuses Smalls (and Combs) of planning it. Seeing Wallace's anguish as Shakur casts him as the bad guyfinally gives his fans some insight into the internal turmoil he suffered toward the end of his life.

The rest of the film follows the events and characters (the bicoastal rivalries, the gangs and the records that shared it all with fans) that eventually sawboth Shakur and Wallace shot and killed within six months of each other. Smartly, the writers do not delve into suspicions of who killed Wallace; the long andbyzantine murder investigation could be its own movie. Instead, "Notorious" highlights a time when hip-hop was arguably at the top of the pop-culturefood chain and, not coincidentally, demonstrates why that moment passed with the passing of Wallace and Shakur. That becomes even clearer in the final scene,which features actual footage of Wallace's open hearse being driven through the crowded, cheer- and tear-filled streets of Brooklyn. Watching"Notorious'' was like attending a 10-year high-school reunion and reliving the good old days when the future seemed so bright.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/177719

laugh.gif
That movie theater used to be nice. The hood took over fast. Watch the line wrap around Barnes and Noble.
laugh.gif

True
laugh.gif
. I'ma still be there as soon as I get from work though.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

True
laugh.gif
. I'ma still be there as soon as I get from work though.
Yo i used to love that theater. Place would be empty during the days so i'd go up and down watching different flicks. I remember once somekids threw a cup of soda and straight soaked this dude, i was in the back dying. From then ive never sat close to the entrance in theaters.

Back
Top Bottom