Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Kids didn't dress up for Halloween this year. First time ever.

Church not far from our house does a huge outdoor festival for the kids. About twenty bounce houses and slides. Even had a zip line bounce house. Grilled links and hot dogs, cotton candy, popcorn, and the kids get a bag filled with candy. Did some trick or treating in the neighborhood once we got home.

Football season still going. We had a "trunk or treat" for the kids October 30th. Baby boys flag team made the playoffs. My 9yr olds team only won one game. Coaching could have been better. Got a flag football game this Sunday at 8am :smh: , and if we win(which we will) gotta come back and play a second game that afternoon. My daughter cheers for the A team and has to cheer at that game, which is 6:30pm Sunday night. Youth football in Texas is a full time job.

Congratulations to all the new dads. Enjoy each and every moment.

Last edited:
Great pics up there!

I'm by no means the perfect father, but I try to be. One thing that I also try to do is live life to the fullest & cherish each moment with my wife, our son, & our pooch.

I never take for granted any & each moment I have with any of them because nothing is guaranteed.

I can't even imagine the grief this poor fella is feeling. My heart & prayers go out to this dude.

Father plays guitar for dying infant son
By Dorrine Mendoza, CNN
updated 4:33 PM EST, Thu November 13, 2014

View media item 1259579
(CNN) -- In just four days, Chris Picco went from husband and expectant father to a man without a family.

His wife Ashley died November 8; their newborn son, delivered by emergency cesarean section, died three days later.

In August, Ashley and Chris Picco celebrated their seventh wedding anniversary by posting a photo to Facebook.

In the image, a tiny pair of fur-lined baby booties stands empty between the Southern California couple. "Coming Soon" is inscribed above. It is still Ashley's cover photo.

Ashley was a mother for only a few short hours before she died. She left behind "harmonies that will continue to resonate in our hearts and memories," her family and friends posted online.

Lennon James was born by emergency C-section three months early, "fighting for his life," Chris posted. Although Chris was grieving Ashley's loss, he thanked those who had reached out in several online postings.

"It's impossible to sum up what has happened in the past couple of days," he said. "My wife, best friend and mother of my child passed away. I have a lifetime to grieve this unspeakable loss, but I know that right now she would want me to focus completely on baby Lennon James Picco..."

On Wednesday, a friend posted a video of Chris in the hospital, singing to his newborn son. The video shows Chris seated next to a whirring, clicking incubator, baby Lennon swaddled in blankets and surrounded by tubes. The video was recorded Tuesday, when Chris had posted, "Ashley would often feel Lennon moving to music, so I brought my guitar today and gave him a little concert."

The song Chris chose, "Blackbird," was written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney during their time with the Beatles.

The song begins:
"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise."

Little Lennon James Pico died late Tuesday night in his father's arms.

On Wednesday, Chris posted this update:

"Dear friends, family, and supporters; it is with an unbelievably heavy heart that I write this. My little fighter, Lennon James Picco went to sleep in his daddy's arms late last night.

He was surrounded by family, friends, and the best doctors, nurses and hospital staff in the world.

He was dressed in an outfit that Ashley bought for him, with little guitars on it, and wrapped in a blanket made by a dear friend.

I am so thankful for the four unforgettable days I got to spend with him.

His mommy would have been so beyond joy to see him and to hold him, touch him, bathe him, sing to him - as I have had the privilege of doing.

I have been so blessed and honored to love him before he was formed, to cherish him while mommy carried him, meet him face to precious face, and hold his perfect little body while we said 'goodbye for now'.

There are no words, but I wanted to keep you updated, as your love and support has meant more than anything in the world.

All you need is love."

A spokesman for Chris said he wants to tell his story but needed time with family and friends for now. A memorial is planned for Saturday at the Piccos' church, Loma Linda University Church in Loma Linda, California.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/13/living/picco-family/

:nthat: :nthat: :nthat:

Much love to my fellow NT dads.  Keep doing your thing, fellas.    

I was given the opportunity to quit my job last March to be a stay-at-home dad for a few years.  We don't have family around here that can watch her and it made no sense to pay for daycare 5 days a week.  So I've spent every day with her since March 1st, 2012.  Best 11 months of my life.  

View media item 246162

:wow:   Haven't been in here in a long minute.  Hard to believe the kid above is now the kid below....

View media item 1249046
View media item 1249049

After 2 years and 8 months of being a stay-at-home dad, I head back to work next week Monday.  That means daycare for my baby girl for the first time in her life.

Can't eem lie.....makes me sad to think I won't have every day with her anymore.  :frown:

It was great while it lasted though.  Definitely bonded with her in a special way.  

beautiful little girl my g :pimp:

honest question, did you get a lot of **** from people in general for being a stay at home dad?

honest question, did you get a lot of **** from people in general for being a stay at home dad?

I hurt my back 12 yrs ago, so when me and my wife had our son almost 7 yrs ago I got to be a stay at home dad..And I'll be 100% honest, I've received negative remarks and hateful looks when I tell people I'm a stay at home dad..It's only after I tell them my whole medical history and they realize me staying home is not by choice that they say things like "Oh that's great" or "I wish I could have stayed home with my kid"..Men, unfairly, get judged when it comes to 1) staying home and raising the kid/s & 2) having a wife/girlfriend being the "bread winner"..It's total B.S. but it's just the way it is..I let the hate roll off my back because raising my son is thee best thing I'll ever do in life..

Read the story on KTLA.
Broke my heart. Saw the video and had all sorts of feels :frown:
Picked up the little one from school and i asked her what she wanted to do.
She said she wanted a happy meal lol

I hurt my back 12 yrs ago, so when me and my wife had our son almost 7 yrs ago I got to be a stay at home dad..And I'll be 100% honest, I've received negative remarks and hateful looks when I tell people I'm a stay at home dad..It's only after I tell them my whole medical history and they realize me staying home is not by choice that they say things like "Oh that's great" or "I wish I could have stayed home with my kid"..Men, unfairly, get judged when it comes to 1) staying home and raising the kid/s & 2) having a wife/girlfriend being the "bread winner"..It's total B.S. but it's just the way it is..I let the hate roll off my back because raising my son is thee best thing I'll ever do in life..

that's rough :smh:

Women say raising kids ain't easy but when a man does it?! :smh:

Damn that Chris Picco story.
tired.gif

Got dealt two life changing blows in a matter of days.
frown.gif

All the best to him.

I actually know a handful of stay at home dads all of which have a variety of different stories. I'd have no problems with being a stay at home dad. I don't think it's a cake walk either.

bendover bendover - :D It's the simple things that make the world seem right when you're with your kids right? How could you say no to her asking for a happy meal.

My wife went out with her girlfriends last Friday night... I asked my son if he wanted to go out to eat & go see Big Hero 6 or stay home, get some take out, & watch a movie....

He chose to stay home & chill. He loves our house & hanging out so we got some Pizza, wings, & some IBC root beer & watch the latest X-Men movie on VOD... Chillin' in our sweat pants & hoodies... :smokin

I love my lil man...

Last edited:
Friends and fam never gave me any flack for staying at home. And most of the people I knew at the job I left were all pretty envious, especially the dudes. Every now and then when I'd be out and about and the topic would come up with a stranger, I could feel the judging going on. But eff em. I had a BLAST with my daughter for almost all of her 3.5 years.

Now I will say that staying at home was no cakewalk. I did EVERYTHING....cooking, cleaning, paying bills, laundry and on and on and on. But it was only right since the wife was working 6 days a week. And honestly, I owed that to her because it was her idea in the first place--I was very apprehensive about quitting a decent, steady job and I mulled over the decision for months.

But I'm glad I took the plunge because not many dads get the chance to bond with their daughter the way that we have. And not to say that working dads don't bond with their kids. But there's something special about your little girl knowing that dad helped her grow up almost every day of her young life. After I picked her up from daycare today she said "Dad, I sure did miss you today". I shed a single thug tear at that very moment.

^^ lol congrats.

Cherish every moment you can because time goes fast. My little man turns 9 in three weeks and wifey is due in two weeks with our baby girl.

Starting already to dislike the end of the year lol. Thanksgiving, wifey bday, both kids bdays and Xmas in the matter of 30 days.

^^ lol congrats.

Cherish every moment you can because time goes fast. My little man turns 9 in three weeks and wifey is due in two weeks with our baby girl.

Starting already to dislike the end of the year lol. Thanksgiving, wifey bday, both kids bdays and Xmas in the matter of 30 days.
9 years apart!?! Yikes. Hah congrats on the baby girl bro. Cool youll have an older one to help out :pimp:

View media item 1265007
View media item 1265008

lol yea I know. God bless your little girl. Can't wait till my little one gets that age

Picked up a bunch of jays for her today. Already got enough girls shoes to last a few years so had to sneak in the jays :rofl:

View media item 1265083

Due date is getting closer.
We went to the Hospital tour a couple of days ago.
Kinda feel a bit more nervous this time around, with our first son she was induced so I didn't get that whole rush to the hospital, what are we doing experience.
She's due Dec. 8 but says she feels it will be sooner than that. Can't wait to meet this new guy and get all these pregnancy mood swings out the way. LOL
Oh yeah, we finally decided on naming him Isaac Giovanni. In my family I go by my middle name, every where else by my first name so we figured we will do the same with him.

big mood swings continued about 2 months after my son was born. now we just back to normal female bipolar living.

my son is about 21 months and one thing that still kills me is when i'm either headed out the house to work or dropping him off at school/day care and he doesn't want me to leave. that DADA NOOOO is like a punch in the heart damn it.

A thread for dads? Awesome!!
I'm a proud dad of three, twin boys(age 6) and a daughter(age 9). We've had a really rough year. It's been a humbling experience and we've had a lot of time to bond, realizing, all we need is us and some faith.

Here are some pics from my daughter's 9th birthday. Believe it or not, she's a huge Michael Jackson fan. She wanted to have a MJ themed party, so we went with the Remember the Time video theme.
View media item 1277317View media item 1277320View media item 1277321My boys on Halloween
View media item 1277322View media item 1277327
Sorry for all the pics. I'm just really proud of how far we've come with understanding the meaning of family. They are my strength.

Last edited:
Happy early Thanksgiving #NTDads

Congrats to all the new papis and rip to your sleep for now :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom