Official PC thread.

either will do. if you are not so much into ray-tracing, the 7900XT is better valued. I still won't buy them though til they drop $200 further.

Feel the same way. Ray tracing starting to feel its not so much important anymore but could be wrong. The 20GB of vram attracted me to the 7900xt.

I have a 3060 ti and it feels outdated. I have a 4k monitor now and getting more back into the gaming. Thinking of upgrading to either 4070 ti or a RX 7900 XT. Any opinions?

Kinda feel the same way but Im not upgrading anytime soon

I probably be patient and wait for prices to make sense. Team Red is looking interesting though.
Same. Besides, my rig is still 3 years away before it shows it's age. still gaming at 1080p at 80-100 fps average with newer games.

Current. Thinking of just new CPU + maybe swapping to 32GB before a GPU upgrade.

for me personally, I would wait it out for another year and see what viable options there are available. while the promise of the 5800X3D is amazing, it is quite dated now considering the new gen Intel/Ryzen are significant improvement over it plus the end of the AM4 support is a limitation and something to think about. if you are only spending $500 on cpu/ram/gpu and would never consider to upgrade for 5 more years (depending on how things would pan out), I guess that would be a good option. your intended upgrade over your current rig would certainly have noticeable great boost but cost-wise and future proofing makes it less ideal setup.

from what I could see, there are certain current parts that would seem to indicate that you needed a better one over the 5800X3D.

Ryzen 5800X3D - pros: huge performance boost over 2600X. cons: last of the AM4 cpu, AM5 Ryzen and i13 chips are noticeably better and price are better and future-proofed.
btw, you needed a better cooler for the 5800X3D as well.
your mobo is good but is limited as well as it's PCI-E doesn't support Gen 4.
32GB ram is good enough for gaming, but found it limited for multi-tasking. I would say 64GB is recommended but I would go for 128GB.
nvme prices are cheap so far, you can upgrade to 2TB and you can get better ones over the current ones you have.
2070 gpu - unless you are still planning to game at 1080P, medium setting for 2-3 more years, this would be fine. if you are upgrading let's say to a RX7900XT or 4070Ti on max setting at 1440p or 4K resolution.
PSU - it would be recommendable to upgrade to 1000w.

with those parts to be considered and situation, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade partially.

my current rig has been running around 5 years now and slowly starting to show it's age. I meant it is still performing well for what I'm using it for and as long as I don't go 4K, it would do well.

Last edited:
My current rig is:

Ryzen 3900
64 GB DDR4
2070S GPU
750 PSU (I think)

I was thinking of bumping it up to 5950X, 128 GB DDR4, 4080 RTX, and 850W PSU. But then I'm like why not just build a new one? But then I'd have to buy a new motherboard, storage.

My current rig is:

Ryzen 3900
64 GB DDR4
2070S GPU
750 PSU (I think)

I was thinking of bumping it up to 5950X, 128 GB DDR4, 4080 RTX, and 850W PSU. But then I'm like why not just build a new one? But then I'd have to buy a new motherboard, storage.
well we have to compute if the cost and performance benefit would be better upgrading versus getting a new rig. the limiting factor that I could see with it is that the AM4 platform is done.

my highend rig from 2019 for example is easily matched with my son's newer 2022/2023 starter rig of Ryzen 5500 and RX5700, 16 GB of ram and 550 PSU for half the cost. it would have been fine if the performance difference between the 4th gen and 5th gen Ryzen were just minimal. as strong as the 5950X is, the 7000 series can somehow match it at a lower cost.

I'm waiting it a year to see how AMD fine tune the AM5 platform and see if it's better than the intel counterpart. I'm only considering Intel due to the performance/cost benefit over the Ryzen counterpart. it also seems that the RX7900XT/X gpus seems to be performing better on the Intel chip. Jan 2024 doesn't seem that far away. although I'm saving for a 4K TV/Monitor before I ditch my current rig.

for me personally, I would wait it out for another year and see what viable options there are available. while the promise of the 5800X3D is amazing, it is quite dated now considering the new gen Intel/Ryzen are significant improvement over it plus the end of the AM4 support is a limitation and something to think about. if you are only spending $500 on cpu/ram/gpu and would never consider to upgrade for 5 more years (depending on how things would pan out), I guess that would be a good option. your intended upgrade over your current rig would certainly have noticeable great boost but cost-wise and future proofing makes it less ideal setup.

from what I could see, there are certain current parts that would seem to indicate that you needed a better one over the 5800X3D.

Ryzen 5800X3D - pros: huge performance boost over 2600X. cons: last of the AM4 cpu, AM5 Ryzen and i13 chips are noticeably better and price are better and future-proofed.
btw, you needed a better cooler for the 5800X3D as well.
your mobo is good but is limited as well as it's PCI-E doesn't support Gen 4.
32GB ram is good enough for gaming, but found it limited for multi-tasking. I would say 64GB is recommended but I would go for 128GB.
nvme prices are cheap so far, you can upgrade to 2TB and you can get better ones over the current ones you have.
2070 gpu - unless you are still planning to game at 1080P, medium setting for 2-3 more years, this would be fine. if you are upgrading let's say to a RX7900XT or 4070Ti on max setting at 1440p or 4K resolution.
PSU - it would be recommendable to upgrade to 1000w.

with those parts to be considered and situation, it wouldn't make sense to upgrade partially.

my current rig has been running around 5 years now and slowly starting to show it's age. I meant it is still performing well for what I'm using it for and as long as I don't go 4K, it would do well.

Yeah, I don't mind spending a few more years on AM4. I kinda like doing the last iteration of a generation. The plan was to pick up a 6800XT/3080 towards the end of '22 or early '23, but I was still pretty content with my 2070. It would've required a PSU upgrade, and MAYBE a CPU upgrade, and didn't want to throw too much money at the time because I was satisfied with where I was..

I was hoping the 5800X3D would hit like 250-280, but think that's a pipe dream.

Storage, I'm good on. I'm pretty efficient in terms of what I keep and I'm satisfied with the speeds.

I think 250 will happen. Got a 5600x but when it hits that i'll jump, just to max out AM4 for gaming performance.

Yeah, I don't mind spending a few more years on AM4. I kinda like doing the last iteration of a generation. The plan was to pick up a 6800XT/3080 towards the end of '22 or early '23, but I was still pretty content with my 2070. It would've required a PSU upgrade, and MAYBE a CPU upgrade, and didn't want to throw too much money at the time because I was satisfied with where I was..

I was hoping the 5800X3D would hit like 250-280, but think that's a pipe dream.

Storage, I'm good on. I'm pretty efficient in terms of what I keep and I'm satisfied with the speeds.
if your mobo supports gen 4 PCI-E, then it would make sense to still get the 5800X3D for full utilization. yeah, a higher PSU is needed for those GPUs. if you can still get something like a used 2080Ti for less than $200, that would be great as well. atleast it is not as power-hungry as those other 2 you mentioned.

I think 250 will happen. Got a 5600x but when it hits that i'll jump, just to max out AM4 for gaming performance.
I might consider it if I could get a good deal for a 5800X3D and ROG Strix B550-F for less than $400. I wouldn't upgrade my gpu unless I buy a 2k/4k monitor. the highest gpu I would consider to game at 1080p is a 3070Ti or 6750XT. price of course needs to be around less than $400.

well we have to compute if the cost and performance benefit would be better upgrading versus getting a new rig. the limiting factor that I could see with it is that the AM4 platform is done.

my highend rig from 2019 for example is easily matched with my son's newer 2022/2023 starter rig of Ryzen 5500 and RX5700, 16 GB of ram and 550 PSU for half the cost. it would have been fine if the performance difference between the 4th gen and 5th gen Ryzen were just minimal. as strong as the 5950X is, the 7000 series can somehow match it at a lower cost.

I'm waiting it a year to see how AMD fine tune the AM5 platform and see if it's better than the intel counterpart. I'm only considering Intel due to the performance/cost benefit over the Ryzen counterpart. it also seems that the RX7900XT/X gpus seems to be performing better on the Intel chip. Jan 2024 doesn't seem that far away. although I'm saving for a 4K TV/Monitor before I ditch my current rig.
For some weird reason, 5950X and 7950X prices have climbed a bit in the last few weeks. The 5950X got down into mid $400s. Now, it's in the $700s. And the regular 7950 has climbed into the $600s after being mid $500s.

The Ryzen 7000 has a 20% performance advantage plus more efficient power. If I can get the Ryzen 5000 for $450 again, it would be a cheaper upgrade path ($450, $339 for 128 GB RAM, and $1,100 or $1,599 GPU). Ryzen 8000 will use AM5. So I'd need to buy the processor (CPU: $550-$750, GPU: $1,100-$1,599, MB: ???, 192 GB DDR5 RAM $700, etc).

For some weird reason, 5950X and 7950X prices have climbed a bit in the last few weeks. The 5950X got down into mid $400s. Now, it's in the $700s. And the regular 7950 has climbed into the $600s after being mid $500s.

The Ryzen 7000 has a 20% performance advantage plus more efficient power. If I can get the Ryzen 5000 for $450 again, it would be a cheaper upgrade path ($450, $339 for 128 GB RAM, and $1,100 or $1,599 GPU). Ryzen 8000 will use AM5. So I'd need to buy the processor (CPU: $550-$750, GPU: $1,100-$1,599, MB: ???, 192 GB DDR5 RAM $700, etc).
one more thing to consider is the PCI-E upgrade path/support. AM4 only supports up to Gen 4 PCI-E. now if the performance of PCI-E Gen 5 delivers, that is one more thing to consider. the Intel architecture though seems to benefit the recent RX7xxx gpu series, so that is another thing to consider and they are cheaper than what AMD Ryzen is offering right now.

on the otherhand, I don't think the Ryzen 5xxx chips would be a bottleneck for another 3-4 generations for gaming, unless the developers make it to complex like what Naughty Dog did with "THE LAST OF US".

my wishlist would be to have a 7800x3D and RX7900 XT setup.

realistically speaking, I think I would be fine upgrading to a Ryzen 7700 and RTX 3070 Ti combo. depending on how much they would go. but I would be fine spending on both for $600.

I am thinking of going team red in this case. RX7900XT is attractive and I just cant do the 8 or 10gb gpu. Just isnt going to fly anymore. I don't see doing complete overhaul to new cpu new board and new ram.
I will probably do 5800x3d and the rx7900xt since I have a x570 board.

I am thinking of going team red in this case. RX7900XT is attractive and I just cant do the 8 or 10gb gpu. Just isnt going to fly anymore. I don't see doing complete overhaul to new cpu new board and new ram.
I will probably do 5800x3d and the rx7900xt since I have a x570 board.
pricing has been crazy thus far this year even with AM4. the only purchases that makes senses are ram and SSDs. from what I can see, the 5800x3D for discontinued platform support is not logically cheap enough to invest on especially for future proofing for a few years. I just checked the pricing about a week ago and damn, a 5800x3D and a great mobo for it is just slightly cheaper over the next gen Ryzen and new AM5 mobo platform. although a few reviewers have stated that it doesn't make sense either and would be better to spend your money wisely on what you actually use. that gave me a good thinking. my current rig is 5 years old and still doing very good. unless they discontinue the support for the previous RDNA 2 gpu, I would definitely pick the 7900 XT. been reading the recently announced 4070 though and seems to be quite acceptable from a financial standpoint but will have to see more what's up with it.

so far, I'd be good for 1080p and 2k gaming with a 6750 XT at ultra settings. currently have a 2070S which is still very good at high/medium settings at 2k with acceptable framerates.

Nvidia. 🤬

This generation has been terrible from pricing to performance (except for the 4090).

And I agree with ya Sneeker. I bought the 5950X and 128 GB of RAM but probably going to return them. Maybe see what’s up with the 8000 series or lower 7000 series pricing.

And the Nvidia 5000 series is next year? Why are people talking about the 5090?

Nvidia. 🤬

This generation has been terrible from pricing to performance (except for the 4090).

And I agree with ya Sneeker. I bought the 5950X and 128 GB of RAM but probably going to return them. Maybe see what’s up with the 8000 series or lower 7000 series pricing.

And the Nvidia 5000 series is next year? Why are people talking about the 5090?
annoying as hell. 4070 price is just dumbfounding. I'd only get it if it drops to $499. Nvidia is practically pricing more for their AI feature. not sure if AMD will release a midtier 7xxx card.

was saving for a gpu but bit the bullet and bought this 2TB fanxiang Nvme ssd. I'm running badly out of storage as fast and kept on hobbling my pc. seems the one I purchased a few months ago wasn't enough. was suppose to buy the 2TB version of WD SN770 but bought this unknown chinese brand out of curiosity and seems to be better performance wise, also it seems to have a DRAM cache. warranty is 5 years and since I'm ordering it thru amazon with fulfillment, atleast I feel secured when it comes to return and replacement if ever this thing fails. I also bought a PCIe Nvme adapter for it since I'm out of M.2 slots.

Attachments

• sabrent.jpg
    sabrent.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 392
  • fanxiang.jpg
    fanxiang.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 456
Back
Top Bottom