Official PC thread.

Yo I just looked at that system you posted. That looks perfect for what I'll be needing it for and it'll save me about 400 bucks.
Never heard of booksize before. I need to look into this more

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by sole vintage

so when you get a cable card do they program it with your channel bundle?

Yeah, I think so. At least that's what I'm hoping.
thanks this looks cool might try it with TWC jacking up the prices

Originally Posted by sole vintage

so when you get a cable card do they program it with your channel bundle?

Yeah, I think so. At least that's what I'm hoping.
thanks this looks cool might try it with TWC jacking up the prices

I love my 2600k.  I got it at 4.2 and thats all i need.  SSD's are where its at though I installed Office Professional in less than a minute
laugh.gif
.  This system is gonna last me looooong time  

I love my 2600k.  I got it at 4.2 and thats all i need.  SSD's are where its at though I installed Office Professional in less than a minute
laugh.gif
.  This system is gonna last me looooong time  

This is what hellothere posted has some pretty good info on it.
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/21.aspx

What I'm still confused on is single card vs. multi card. It says single card only gives one stream.....so does that mean if I'm only connecting it to one TV that's all I need? Also say I needed multiple streams does that mean I'll have to get multiple cablecards?

I'm lost

What I'm still confused on is single card vs. multi card. It says single card only gives one stream.....so does that mean if I'm only connecting it to one TV that's all I need? Also say I needed multiple streams does that mean I'll have to get multiple cablecards?

I'm lost

I'm lost
again going off what i think: single card= one tuner meaning that you can only watch one channel at a time. if your recording a show thats all you'll be able to do with the tuner. With a multi card you have multiple tuners so you can record two different shows while watching another one at the same time.

I'm lost
again going off what i think: single card= one tuner meaning that you can only watch one channel at a time. if your recording a show thats all you'll be able to do with the tuner. With a multi card you have multiple tuners so you can record two different shows while watching another one at the same time.

Ahhh okay so with that Ceton I'll be able to record up to 3 shows and still be able to watch one.
I don't really need that so a single will be fine. Actually a dual would be ideal.

So a dual tuner, I'll need to get 2 cards. correct?

Ahhh okay so with that Ceton I'll be able to record up to 3 shows and still be able to watch one.
I don't really need that so a single will be fine. Actually a dual would be ideal.

So a dual tuner, I'll need to get 2 cards. correct?

Originally Posted by Hyper

Just ordered all of my stuff...

Pretty nervous because this will be my first build and I'm gonna attempt to build it myself, but I think I should be OK.

Definitely didn't need the i5 2500K, but I might get into PC gaming at some point, so I figured I'll just get a good CPU now.

Obviously I'll need a GPU, too, but onboard graphics are fine for now.

Item List:

1 x ($21.99) DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % - OEM

1 x ($189.99) SSD 120G|OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G R

1 x ($49.99) CASE ANTEC| ONE HUNDRED RTL

1 x ($139.99) MB ASUS|P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) P67 1155

1 x ($99.99) MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

1 x ($69.99) PSU ANTEC|BP550 PLUS RT

1 x ($49.99) MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

1 x ($20.99) KB&MS LOGITECH | MK120 R

1 x ($25.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 R

I'd get a 650w psu  at least for future proofing.  Also the p8p67 doesnt support on board graphics so you're gunna need a GPU now

Originally Posted by Hyper

Just ordered all of my stuff...

Pretty nervous because this will be my first build and I'm gonna attempt to build it myself, but I think I should be OK.

Definitely didn't need the i5 2500K, but I might get into PC gaming at some point, so I figured I'll just get a good CPU now.

Obviously I'll need a GPU, too, but onboard graphics are fine for now.

Item List:

1 x ($21.99) DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % - OEM

1 x ($189.99) SSD 120G|OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G R

1 x ($49.99) CASE ANTEC| ONE HUNDRED RTL

1 x ($139.99) MB ASUS|P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) P67 1155

1 x ($99.99) MS WIN 7 HOME SP1 64BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

1 x ($69.99) PSU ANTEC|BP550 PLUS RT

1 x ($49.99) MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

1 x ($20.99) KB&MS LOGITECH | MK120 R

1 x ($25.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 R

I'd get a 650w psu  at least for future proofing.  Also the p8p67 doesnt support on board graphics so you're gunna need a GPU now

haha we're thinking alike.
I think I'm getting that one. It's 100 dollars less than the HDHomeRun Prime.

If this goes smoothly I'm going to get the HDHomeRun Prime later because my dad wants me to build him one to replace the cable box we have downstairs too.

haha we're thinking alike.
I think I'm getting that one. It's 100 dollars less than the HDHomeRun Prime.

If this goes smoothly I'm going to get the HDHomeRun Prime later because my dad wants me to build him one to replace the cable box we have downstairs too.

I think I understand now.
Anyone know how this one is?

Amazon product ASIN B005FPT38A

It's made with parts from silicondust (makers of HDhomerun Prime), using the hauppauge branding, from your needs it seems like the best solution for you.
To answer your single stream question, the first cablecards used to only be able to handle 1 tuner, the newer cablecards handle as much as the device your using handles. 

S Card (single stream)   and the M Cards are called Multi-stream.  S cards arent used anymore, you could always ask your provider to make sure your getting an M Card, you only need one. 

Regarding the book-size barebone system that I linked to, it used to be more expensive the prices are coming down, IMO its perfect for HTPC its powerful enough, and the right size to be in a living room type of environment.

Their has been computers in the same form factor but its more popular for nettops which is just a tower version for a netbook, which have extremely lame specs.

I dont own any of the stuff yet, but I plan to buy it to setup my media center.

Back
Top Bottom