Official PC thread.

Nice-looking loop you got there, slade. Nice and tidy. :pimp:

i'm looking to build a pc that can play BF3 on ULTRA\HIGHEST settings possible
what do i start off with?

Finally my man SPIDERMACHINE916's switching over to BF3 PC. :smokin Sucks PC doesn't have VOIP, though.

CPU Motherboard Graphics RAM

Intel i7 2700k Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z eVGA GTX 670 FTW 16 gb G.Skill Ripjaw

:lol: What will he need a MIVE-Z for? Nice piece of kit, though.

How you set up your gaming rig depends on how many monitors and what resolution you're planning to play at.

• CPU/MOBO: If you're planning to go Sandy Bridge, get the i5 2500K (if there's still some left). You won't need the Hyperthreading feature on the higher-spec i7 processors, really. For a motherboard, try to get a Z68-based chipset board from good manufacturers (definitely go ASUS if you can afford it). If you go Ivy Brige (which I suggest you do so), get a i5 3570K and a Z77 chipset.
  • The reason why I suggested K-series unlocked processors and their corresponding good chipsets is the fact that you might want to overclock the CPU in the future. They give you the best chance at maximizing your hardware's potential.
  • RAM: At least 8GB of RAM should be fine for most games and running a few programs on the side simultaneously.
  • GPU: As for discrete graphics, I agree with slade that you should get a GTX 670. Even a non-overclocked version would do at 1920 x 1080. I also use an EVGA GPU (GTX 680). Great company and customer service. Three-year global warranty, too.
  • SSD: Also, if you've got the funds, get a solid-state drive (SSD). Just make sure it's a SATA III capable drive. You'll get much, much faster boot times and program/game loading (if you install games there). I recommend the OCZ Vertex 4/3 or the Crucial M4. Sandisk, Samsung, and Kingston are good as well. Just choose one which provides the best value, while at the same time has great customer service. Don't forget to get an HDD for the rest of your data.
  • PSU: For Power Supply Units (PSU), get the best one you can afford. Seasonic, Corsair, and Silverstone (in no particular order) are great brands. Great customer service and warranty, too. Try to get at least a Bronze rated efficiency unit. The latest ones are Platinum-rated.

Everything else (peripherals) is down to preference, and what particular genre you're planning to play with.

Get a lot of cash.
Not necessarily. But, then again, this is NT... you got guys spending hundreds of dollars on a pair of kicks, and guys pushing M3s or GT-Rs... so it shouldn't be a problem. :lol: >D

Last edited:
^^^ NAH man... nothing like that :rofl:
i'm a ps3 fanboy for life :smokin
i just think it's time to upgrade my rig
and why not do it big... you know
i was thinking about ssd's, liquid cooling sys, the whole shibang!

^^^ NAH man... nothing like that :rofl:
i'm a ps3 fanboy for life :smokin
i just think it's time to upgrade my rig
and why not do it big... you know
i was thinking about ssd's, liquid cooling sys, the whole shibang!

liquid cooling is easy you can buy a kit and just add the type of tubing you want its easy to do

^ yup it can be fairly simple. I just wouldn't advise using a pump-reservoir combo unit, since it might be a pain in the *%# to fix when something goes wrong. And make sure to incorporate a drain valve into the loop. Makes maintenance easier, especially for larger rigs.

So tempting to build a loop now... especially since I sold off my H80 a couple of months ago. The stock i7 2600K cooler doesn't look right in an ASUS Maximus V Formula. :smh: :lol:

Last edited:
Question: I'm in the neighborhood of buying a new laptop (not sure if you guys can help me out)...Looking for something that's 13.3 - 14inch laptop, $500 price range...

Should I buy now or wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

Just upgraded my system:

CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengence

Upgradeds I made a few months ago:
HDD: 1TB
GPU: nVidia GTX 560ti

Just upgraded my system:

Pretty much my exact build except I got 2tbs and an asrock mobo.. I settled for a 560 also because it does everything I need to do and didn't break the bank I can play the games I want just fine on high settings

^ Solid build you got there, seeko.

Yeah the 560ti is a very good GPU. Good for most games on High at 1080p. Had one until it died on me. Sold my newly RMA'ed GPU and copped a GTX 680. Should be good for the next 5 years or so. You might want to upgrade the stock cooler on that thing. It runs fairly hot and a little noisy.

Last edited:
^^ Stock cooler on the CPU? I dont plan on overclocking, but I did have a ZALMAN CNPS9500 on my last CPU before this one... Still didnt get around to the overclocking side of life. lol

edit:
Just looked it up and found out it's compatible with my current CPU... I need to attach this junt... brb...

35-118-003-02.jpg

Last edited:
^ I meant the GPU, but that should work with the CPU. :lol: If you do eventually overclock in the future, you'd definitely need to replace the stock coolers on both.

this is why i sometimes hate the rapid advances in technology

in april i bought a 6950 for $200 and it was a good deal
now a couple of months later you can get a 7870 for the same price w/ a $20 dollar rebate with a copy of a game that was just selling for $50 bucks a couple of weeks ago :smh: >:

I get what you mean. But prices over there are much more volatile then they are over here. Ours is high to begin with, then just disappears off shelves (for practically the same amount) when new stuff arrives. :lol:

this is why i sometimes hate the rapid advances in technology
in april i bought a 6950 for $200 and it was a good deal
now a couple of months later you can get a 7870 for the same price w/ a $20 dollar rebate with a copy of a game that was just selling for $50 bucks a couple of weeks ago :smh: >:

yep, that's how it goes. although, I just checked right now (Amazon) and the EVGA GTX 680 still goes for ~$500. :lol:

butttt, I guess thats because it's new tech.

that MSI Twin Frozr though...

Im about to venture into laptops in the near future.

About a year ago, I was seriously considering a Macbook Pro, but @ that price... it hurts man, it hurts. But when I played with the regular Macbook (2009/1010 version or w/e it is) back in '10, it was pretty awesome.

I may just stick with Lenovos or something.

Just upgraded my system:

that's a nice build seeko.

i'm looking to make a build similar to that since my computer died on me about 3 weeks ago. i think it was the mobo that was the problem since it kept getting worse and worse the more i tried to fix it.

just got a few questions since this will be my first build.. i'm deciding between an i5 3570k and an i7 3770k (since the price seems to be dropping to around $280) for my build. i'll be doing mostly gaming and browsing at the same time so i'm not sure if there's any major significance in performance. also not planning on overclocking (since idk how) so probably going to stick with the stock fan on it.

also not sure what i should get between a micro or atx board, will i be able to fit an atx board on a mid tower case without any problems if i do decide to get an aftermarket processor fan? i've searched for the inputs i wanted and a micro board seems like the way to go for me but am i missing out on anything if i don't get an atx board?

i've been hesitant about pulling the trigger on a build for weeks now since idk much about building one and i can't get on a computer long enough to do research about it. as far as my knowledge goes the basics i need are, cpu, mobo, ram, psu, OS, a disc drive, and a hdd that i'll probably pull off my old pc, and maybe a SSD to boot the OS from.

and as a backup to building one, i've been eyeing this listing on craigslist http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3291957912.html
he originally wanted $600 but maybe i'll try getting him down to $500 and buy a gpu with the money i'll save.

that's a nice build seeko.
i'm looking to make a build similar to that since my computer died on me about 3 weeks ago. i think it was the mobo that was the problem since it kept getting worse and worse the more i tried to fix it.
just got a few questions since this will be my first build.. i'm deciding between an i5 3570k and an i7 3770k (since the price seems to be dropping to around $280) for my build. i'll be doing mostly gaming and browsing at the same time so i'm not sure if there's any major significance in performance. also not planning on overclocking (since idk how) so probably going to stick with the stock fan on it.
also not sure what i should get between a micro or atx board, will i be able to fit an atx board on a mid tower case without any problems if i do decide to get an aftermarket processor fan? i've searched for the inputs i wanted and a micro board seems like the way to go for me but am i missing out on anything if i don't get an atx board?
i've been hesitant about pulling the trigger on a build for weeks now since idk much about building one and i can't get on a computer long enough to do research about it. as far as my knowledge goes the basics i need are, cpu, mobo, ram, psu, OS, a disc drive, and a hdd that i'll probably pull off my old pc, and maybe a SSD to boot the OS from.
and as a backup to building one, i've been eyeing this listing on craigslist http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3291957912.html
he originally wanted $600 but maybe i'll try getting him down to $500 and buy a gpu with the money i'll save.

Processor: Get the i5 3570K. Best value-for-money chip Intel has out now. You won't use the HyperThreading the i7 3770K has, anyway -even in gaming. At least if you do change your mind and plan to overclock (it's fairly easy now), you got a K-series unlocked processor to do it with.

Motherboard and Chassis size: If you're short on space, I'd say get an mATX board and case, so you save a lot of room. Most mid-tower cases can fit an ATX board fairly easily. Just make sure that you get a good case with cable management options that route those ugly cables around the back and out of sight. Not only does it look neater, but it also helps out improving airflow inside of your rig -one of the most important things when you're air-cooling, by the way. Aftermarket air coolers -the good ones- can take up a significant amount of real estate inside your case, especially if you want a quiet system. Practically speaking, you won't really miss out on a lot of features using an mATX board vis-a-vis an ATX board. You can run 2-way SLI/Crossfire fairly easily with no problems on the good mATX mobo. You'd probably lose a few PCI slots and SATA ports (for additional drives and devices), though. You'd want a Z77 chipset board to get the most out of your i5 3570K. ASUS is a good motherboard manufacturer, albeit a little pricey. But they're definitely better-made than the other motherboards I've had. For cases, Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, Silverstone, and Antec are pretty solid chassis makers.

PSU: Get the best one that you can afford in the 500-700W range, preferrably with at least a 80+ Bronze[emoji]8482[/emoji] rating. Good ones are Corsair, Seasonic, and Silverstone.

RAM: 8GB should be plenty enough (and reasonably affordable) for most applications and games. Corsair, Cruical, G.Skill, and Kingston are good manufacturers.

GPU: If you're a gamer, this should be a significant part of your build, as most of today's games try to push as much processing power out of these GPUs. An NVIDIA GTX 660Ti should be fine for most games at High-Ultra settings. Good power consumption, too. I can't recommend ATi since I've haven't had that good of an experience with them. Drivers crash all the time (but not for everyone). :smh:

The other components are down to buyer preference. I'd recommend getting an SSD to for faster OS boot-up and faster startup of the programs you run most often everyday that load a lot of files before functioning (Photoshop, etc.). Works awesome as well for games (Battlefield 3's loading screen can take forever :lol: ).

Last edited:
Question- Is this a good deal?
Optiplex 960 with Intel core 2 E*** 3Ghz,4GB ram, 500gb hdd, usb 3.0 with DVD rom and 2 22inch E2211 Dell monitors for $200. THIS PC has been used in an office for over a year.

^ Not familiar with that chipset. Hopefully someone on here is. What are you planning to use it for? :nerd:

dont be a menace, replied to your PM.

I primarily will be using it to browse the web, light gaming,video broadcasts and multi-tasking.

Back
Top Bottom