Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Nikon is hard at it also. With the recent release of the D700, and now the D90 peaking out with basically a D300 sensor, 3inch LCD, HD Movie mode!!!!, and a bunch of other goodies.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/nikon-d90-outed-by-usa-today/http://www.engadget.com/2...n-d90-outed-by-usa-today/

I have my D40 sold, now its between XSi, or D90.
XSi, awesome camera. I'm biased though since i have one and i tend to go for Canon over Nikon
laugh.gif

I can see it now.....people making skate films with DSLRs. Dope part on Nikon to do that but still not sure on it. But still....kudos for Nikon on doing that.

Its been confirmed that there will be no Autofocus in video mode though, Could be a positive and a negative. Good for creativeness, for example shallow depthof field, but bad if you're on the go or trying to shoot some action. We'll have to see till its released. Hopefully the manual focus will not be toobad. Thats the deciding factor for me right now.

imo, video recording on a dslr is overkill. while i respect nikon's attention to high sensitivity shooting and build quality, leave the gimmicks to thepoint and shoots. video shooting is, to me anyways, a lot like having a high MP cam on your phone. nice to have but that's why you have a dslr for. if youreally wanna shoot videos, get a handy cam or somthing. then again, to each it's own.

that said, i'm loving my xsi but would strongly give the d90 a long look just because of the censor.

*edit*
fong, what you shooting with right now? i see you're trying to upgrade to the 50D.

blah!

Originally Posted by jay kickz till i die

imo, video recording on a dslr is overkill. while i respect nikon's attention to high sensitivity shooting and build quality, leave the gimmicks to the point and shoots. video shooting is, to me anyways, a lot like having a high MP cam on your phone. nice to have but that's why you have a dslr for. if you really wanna shoot videos, get a handy cam or somthing. then again, to each it's own.

that said, i'm loving my xsi but would strongly give the d90 a long look just because of the censor.

*edit*
fong, what you shooting with right now? i see you're trying to upgrade to the 50D.

blah!
Kind of how i feel as well, even live view on my XSi is kind pushing it cause i don't use it and don't see myself using it. Yes it comeswith it so i have no choice. If i was buying a D90 in general then sure i'll take it but i wouldn't let the video mode alone be the deciding factor onwhether or not i want the camera. I'm more of a Canon head but even if Canon came out with this it's still
grin.gif
to me. But like jay kickz till i die said to eachthere own.

I just have an XTi with a 50 milli and a kit lens but I photoshop the sam diggy hell out of my photos. I am not even sure why I want a new camera when I know Ishould get a lens but I just want a bigger camera for some reason. It's stupid but we'll see how the funds stack up....which initially will be thedeciding factor.

i see you fong. the 50mm is a damn good lens from what i hear. the 1.4 or 1.8? i may be looking into one first although i'm not sure if i can cope w/ theprime lens just yet.

jrdnsrnss: glad you see my point w/ the video capture. however, i have found myself using the xsi live mode a lot more than i thought i would. at first i waswondering why i would want to dumb myself down to a point and shoot level on my dslr but it really does come in handy for composing those awkward angles andsuch. i don't know, maybe it's just my shooting style. anyways, once you get the hang of it, i find it to be very useful and a great addition to thecamera.

blah!

Bah, I guess I was quick to jump, but I was sort of in the market for a camcorder as well, so this was great news to me. I'm thinking twice about it thoughdue to the lack of AF in video mode, and even though you get to use the large DSLR sensor to record in HD, the D90 still lacks many of the features a normalCamcorder would offer. I dont know... Its basically more than what I need.

XSi and XS are looking promesing. Maybe even a D80 if the prices drop down enough.

hey fellow Ntr's soo in my digiy photo class i need to teach the class about
framing and angle/vantage point/perspective. I need to basically explain what they are how they work and i need to show pictures of each basically so can youguys help me out please. Much appreciated.

It's the 1.8. The prime lens take some serious getting used to though. You always have to back up and shoot a lot farther on your subject matter. I like itthough but only cause it was worth pennies compared to other lenses. I amazed on when i get that right shot with it.....the pics comes out super clear.

I am still up on the fence with lenses. I find more and more that I like to shoot night shots or indoor shots with low lighting. I just think it comes out moresurreal then just daytime photos. For that reason I want a quick lens but then I also want to shoot wide. I was on the fens with wither getting a ultra wide ora fisheye. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't decide which one I want.......

It's the 1.8. The prime lens take some serious getting used to though. You always have to back up and shoot a lot farther on your subject matter. I like itthough but only cause it was worth pennies compared to other lenses. I amazed on when i get that right shot with it.....the pics comes out super clear.

I am still up on the fence with lenses. I find more and more that I like to shoot night shots or indoor shots with low lighting. I just think it comes out moresurreal then just daytime photos. For that reason I want a quick lens but then I also want to shoot wide. I was on the fens with wither getting a ultra wide ora fisheye. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't decide which one I want.......

i see you fong. the 50mm is a damn good lens from what i hear. the 1.4 or 1.8? i may be looking into one first although i'm not sure if i can cope w/ the prime lens just yet.

jrdnsrnss: glad you see my point w/ the video capture. however, i have found myself using the xsi live mode a lot more than i thought i would. at first i was wondering why i would want to dumb myself down to a point and shoot level on my dslr but it really does come in handy for composing those awkward angles and such. i don't know, maybe it's just my shooting style. anyways, once you get the hang of it, i find it to be very useful and a great addition to the camera.

blah!
I've used it here and there and it is a pretty cool feature but it's still something that really isn't big to me. I've used ittaking shots from the ground, instead of getting on the floor and looking through the viewfinder i'll use the live view. Thing is it's rare that i getfrom the floor kind of shots and thats the only time i would use it.

Been looking at getting a new lens and decided on the 17-40 F4L. Bit pricey but i want a higher quality lens than the kit 18-55 lens that comes with the XSi.Not much focal range in the long end of the lens but i noticed when using my kit i rarely go towards the 55 end. I also have the nifty fifty and it's agreat lens, the price compared to what this lens can do is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

i see you fong. the 50mm is a damn good lens from what i hear. the 1.4 or 1.8? i may be looking into one first although i'm not sure if i can cope w/ the prime lens just yet.

jrdnsrnss: glad you see my point w/ the video capture. however, i have found myself using the xsi live mode a lot more than i thought i would. at first i was wondering why i would want to dumb myself down to a point and shoot level on my dslr but it really does come in handy for composing those awkward angles and such. i don't know, maybe it's just my shooting style. anyways, once you get the hang of it, i find it to be very useful and a great addition to the camera.

blah!
I've used it here and there and it is a pretty cool feature but it's still something that really isn't big to me. I've used it taking shots from the ground, instead of getting on the floor and looking through the viewfinder i'll use the live view. Thing is it's rare that i get from the floor kind of shots and thats the only time i would use it.

Been looking at getting a new lens and decided on the 17-40 F4L. Bit pricey but i want a higher quality lens than the kit 18-55 lens that comes with the XSi. Not much focal range in the long end of the lens but i noticed when using my kit i rarely go towards the 55 end. I also have the nifty fifty and it's a great lens, the price compared to what this lens can do is ridiculous.
unless you're a complete canon head i would suggest you look into the tamron 17-50mm 2.8. i hear it's sharp as a tack and is perfect forlow light shooting. a great step up from the kit lens and one that i'm seriously considering. but if you have the cash to go L then do it. it won'tdisappoint.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

It's the 1.8. The prime lens take some serious getting used to though. You always have to back up and shoot a lot farther on your subject matter. I like it though but only cause it was worth pennies compared to other lenses. I amazed on when i get that right shot with it.....the pics comes out super clear.

I am still up on the fence with lenses. I find more and more that I like to shoot night shots or indoor shots with low lighting. I just think it comes out more surreal then just daytime photos. For that reason I want a quick lens but then I also want to shoot wide. I was on the fens with wither getting a ultra wide or a fisheye. It bugs the crap out of me that I can't decide which one I want.......
for cropped bodies the wide angle end of lens is kind of limited and a bit pricey. the 15mm fisheye is a EF and will fit FF bodies but on acropped frame it's not really an ultra wide. the only ones i know of off the top of the head is the canon 10-22mm (my newest), sigma 10-20mm, and thetokina 11-17mm. however, if you're looking into shooting low lighting situation (i feel the same you do about night time pics vs daytime) none of theselens will really do the trick as far as being fast and accurate unless you couple them w/ a flash. the best way to handle night photography is really w/ atripod or something to balance the camera on. longer shutter speeds and night can really give you amazing results. if you want something that will perform wellunder low light as an upgrade from the kit lens i would suggest the 17-50mm 2.8 tamron. if you want to stick w/ canon, they offer a 17-55mm 2.8 IS USM butit's a bit pricey (more than a few L lenses). so it really comes down to having to choose either low light shooting or wide angle cuz it seems as if wideangle lenses don't come w/ the speed of more mid range to telephoto lenses do.

*edit*
Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Bah, I guess I was quick to jump, but I was sort of in the market for a camcorder as well, so this was great news to me. I'm thinking twice about it though due to the lack of AF in video mode, and even though you get to use the large DSLR sensor to record in HD, the D90 still lacks many of the features a normal Camcorder would offer. I dont know... Its basically more than what I need.

XSi and XS are looking promesing. Maybe even a D80 if the prices drop down enough.
the XS is a waste of money IMO. costs as much as the XSi (now anyways) and doesn't have nearly as many features. it's merely a XTireplacement w/ some physical enhancements. if you want something with the build quality of a nikon w/ the ease of use of a canon, i would go for the 40D. morethan enough features to hold you over, takes EF and EF-S lenses, comparable features to the D80/D90, and price drops as a result of the 50D announcement. neverreally was a fan of the nikon lens ranges and prices, partly why i went w/ canon. then again these are only suggestions. i highly recommend you go in store andtry both cameras and get a sense of which one you're more comfortable with. either way you can't go wrong w/ nikon or canon but the ergenomics of eachcamera may very for each shooter.

blah!

I feel like a kid on Christmas day after picking up my new set of gear. Can't wait to start shooting with it.

Canon 40D Body
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS + hood
Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Canon Speedlite 430ex
B&W 77mm Multi Coated Filter
Sto-fen Omni Bounce
Lowepro Nova 4

Not Pictured:
Canon BG-E2N battery grip + extra battery
Bogen-Manfrotto 725B Tripod + ballhead
Lowepro Nova 4

wv3fol.jpg

Now time to save up for a Canon 50mm f/1.4

oh man, im very interested in getting into this hobby, but before i drop serious $$$, can anyone gimme some useful website for beginners? I wanna read as muchas possible before i get into this. I got my friends canon camera to practice with if i want....thanks.

Back
Top Bottom