Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Sup NT, a lot of good info and pics in here. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have had a canon rebel xti for about 1 and 1/2 years. I have shottens of thousands of pics, and really love photography. I know I want to make the jump to a full frame 5D. What are the advantages of the full-frame? I can seeit in the pictures but can't pick out a lot of specifics. Also this may be a stupid question, but is a 5D and a 5D mark II different cameras? Is the 5Dmark II the new and improved 5D? If so, what would a fair price be for a used 5D body? And I have plenty of quality lenses (my brother was a proffesionalphotographer, quit, and gave the lenses to me
smile.gif
) so thats no problem. Thanks in advance for the help!

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Sup NT, a lot of good info and pics in here. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have had a canon rebel xti for about 1 and 1/2 years. I have shot tens of thousands of pics, and really love photography. I know I want to make the jump to a full frame 5D. What are the advantages of the full-frame? I can see it in the pictures but can't pick out a lot of specifics. Also this may be a stupid question, but is a 5D and a 5D mark II different cameras? Is the 5D mark II the new and improved 5D? If so, what would a fair price be for a used 5D body? And I have plenty of quality lenses (my brother was a proffesional photographer, quit, and gave the lenses to me
smile.gif
Get the 5D Mk2. Only disadvantages I can think of are portability, Lenses (I've seen your blog and you have plenty of "L" lenses) Soyou should be good to go. I say get the 5D Mk2 because yes, it is the improved version, amazing video mode, and ridiculous high ISO performance. Body onlyshould run you about $2500.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Sup NT, a lot of good info and pics in here. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have had a canon rebel xti for about 1 and 1/2 years. I have shot tens of thousands of pics, and really love photography. I know I want to make the jump to a full frame 5D. What are the advantages of the full-frame? I can see it in the pictures but can't pick out a lot of specifics. Also this may be a stupid question, but is a 5D and a 5D mark II different cameras? Is the 5D mark II the new and improved 5D? If so, what would a fair price be for a used 5D body? And I have plenty of quality lenses (my brother was a proffesional photographer, quit, and gave the lenses to me
smile.gif
Get the 5D Mk2. Only disadvantages I can think of are portability, Lenses (I've seen your blog and you have plenty of "L" lenses) So you should be good to go. I say get the 5D Mk2 because yes, it is the improved version, amazing video mode, and ridiculous high ISO performance. Body only should run you about $2500.

Thanks for the help. I think the HD video thing is cool, but its not something I would use much at all. And price is an issue for me. Do you know what a fairprice for a gently used 5D is? Or do you think I should still go for the mk2?

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

smile.gif
Get the 5D Mk2. Only disadvantages I can think of are portability, Lenses (I've seen your blog and you have plenty of "L" lenses) So you should be good to go. I say get the 5D Mk2 because yes, it is the improved version, amazing video mode, and ridiculous high ISO performance. Body only should run you about $2500.

Thanks for the help. I think the HD video thing is cool, but its not something I would use much at all. And price is an issue for me. Do you know what a fair price for a gently used 5D is? Or do you think I should still go for the mk2?
The 5D should run you about $1300-$1600 body only. But YES, If I could, I would definitely go for the Mk2.

Watch this video filmed by the Mk2. Even though dude used more than $10k in lenses, its amazing. But again, if you dont plan on filming any video at all,then... id still get it. lol.
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/11/26/7-days-7-shoots-eos-5d-mkii/http://blog.vincentlafore...ays-7-shoots-eos-5d-mkii/

^Wow that video is ridiculous. I'll see if I can round up the money for a mk2. Then I'll see if i can get 10k for the lenses hahaha. Thanks.

^Wow that video is ridiculous. I'll see if I can round up the money for a mk2. Then I'll see if i can get 10k for the lenses hahaha. Thanks.
Just wait it out till the reviews are out, Cause right now, all most people know about the mk2 are specs, and new features. We don't reallyknow how it rounds up against the older 5D.

Anybody have the manfrotto 055xprob legs + 488rc2 ballhead setup and can tell me how they like it? I just ordered mine and I can't wait.

Originally Posted by yarrh

Anybody have the manfrotto 055xprob legs + 488rc2 ballhead setup and can tell me how they like it? I just ordered mine and I can't wait.
this bad boy?

3483ex2.jpg

2weyv6b.jpg

With gripped Canon 40D, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 580ex mounted.
30ubsig.jpg

You'll definitely love it man. It's stability and build quality is perfect for my gear. When the legs are completely extended, they're tall enoughfor the viewfinder to be on eye level for any 6 footer assuming you have a battery grip.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

$1650 with under 7000 clicks. It includes the BG-E4 battery grip.
thats a good price imo. im waiting until next summer n hopefully used 5D prices will be fairly low.. its so tempting to jump to full frame

For those of you interested in EXIF data to view what camera model, focal length, aperture, shutterspeed, iso and other useful data on a particularphotograph...download the FXIX add-on for Firefox. Once installed, you can simply right click the image > view properties > and you'll see the exifdata. This is extremely helpful for those wanting know what settings a photo was shot with. However a lot of you use Flickr and other programs that resizephotos and strip the exif data. I upload my pics with Photobucket and Tinypic, both of which retain the exif data. It would be nice if some of you could usehosting sites which keep the exif data. Note that this is just a suggestion to help out fellow NT photographers.

This is how it looks like:

fxif.gif

Here is the link to download the add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673

Crank Lucas - It matters on what you are going to shoot and your budget. If you are just gonna fool around with it and have fun, canon rebel xt, xti, or xsiare nice. And nikon D40 or D60.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

For those of you interested in EXIF data to view what camera model, focal length, aperture, shutterspeed, iso and other useful data on a particular photograph...download the FXIX add-on for Firefox. Once installed, you can simply right click the image > view properties > and you'll see the exif data. This is extremely helpful for those wanting know what settings a photo was shot with. However a lot of you use Flickr and other programs that resize photos and strip the exif data. I upload my pics with Photobucket and Tinypic, both of which retain the exif data. It would be nice if some of you could use hosting sites which keep the exif data. Note that this is just a suggestion to help out fellow NT photographers.

This is how it looks like:

fxif.gif

Here is the link to download the add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673
thanks for posting that

Crank Lucas - It matters on what you are going to shoot and your budget. If you are just gonna fool around with it and have fun, canon rebel xt, xti, or xsi are nice. And nikon D40 or D60.

Mann this thread is so confusing!!
smh.gif
I hope some of you guys with warm hearts are willing to help out.
smile.gif

What is the difference between the Canon Rebel xt, xti, and xsi??? Which ones are recent and which one is the best in terms of quality?

What does DSLR stand for?

What are the 5D and 5D Mark II??

D40, D60, D90 all pertain to Nikons right? But what are they exactly?

What is a fish eye? Is it a lense? If I go to Best Buy will the employees call it a fish eye or is that just a nick name?

What does all the "55-80 mm" stuff that describes different lenses on websites mean?

I know for a Canon, the camera is the body and you have to buy lenses for the body, but can you shoot with just a plain body or do you have to have lenses?

Can you put Nikon lenses on a Canon's body?

This is just Part I but thanks anyway.
laugh.gif

hassan16... ever try google?

there are tons of photography sites that will explain everything you want to know

Originally Posted by hassan16

Crank Lucas - It matters on what you are going to shoot and your budget. If you are just gonna fool around with it and have fun, canon rebel xt, xti, or xsi are nice. And nikon D40 or D60.

Mann this thread is so confusing!!
smh.gif
I hope some of you guys with warm hearts are willing to help out.
smile.gif

What is the difference between the Canon Rebel xt, xti, and xsi??? Which ones are recent and which one is the best in terms of quality?

What does DSLR stand for?

What are the 5D and 5D Mark II??

D40, D60, D90 all pertain to Nikons right? But what are they exactly?

What is a fish eye? Is it a lense? If I go to Best Buy will the employees call it a fish eye or is that just a nick name?

What does all the "55-80 mm" stuff that describes different lenses on websites mean?

I know for a Canon, the camera is the body and you have to buy lenses for the body, but can you shoot with just a plain body or do you have to have lenses?

Can you put Nikon lenses on a Canon's body?

This is just Part I but thanks anyway.
laugh.gif

I don't know if I can answer everything, but I have some free time so I'll do what i can. The canon xsi is the new and improved xti. It is slightlybetter, but not worth paying much more for IMO. The xti is the improved and higher quality than the xt. XSI is probably the best quality, but xti is betterbang for your buck IMO. DSLR= Digital Single Lens Reflex 5D= Full frame, very good quality canon camera dslr. The 5D mark II is the new and improved 5D, withHD video. D40, D60, and D90 are all dslr cameras. Canon has a D40 model, and maybe others. The higher the number, the better and more expensive the camera is.A fisheye lens is a wide angle lens that distorts the picture. It is the opposite of a telephoto lens. It is a nickname that everyone who knows anything aboutcameras knows, but bestbuy doesn't sell them. 55-80mm describes the focal length of a lens. The higher the number, the more zoomed your photo will be. Afisheye lens would be anywhere from 7mm-around 15mm. You need to have lenses on any camera. You cannot shoot with just a body. Nikon lenses do not work oncanon body's, and visa versa.

I'll answer some of your questions and I don't want to come off as a jerk but seriously, do some searching yourself. We're here to help, notspoon feed you. I've indicated by answers in red below.

Q: What is the difference between the Canon Rebel xt, xti, and xsi??? Which ones are recent and which one is the best in termsof quality?

A: Canon and Nikon's Digital SLR lines:

jqs3zt.jpg

dvd6b.jpg

If you want the best, the professional lines obviously give you the best image quality, build and performance. However,you don't seem to be an ideal user for these camera bodies so I suggest you do what most beginner photographers do, pick up an entry-level body. Youcan't go wrong with a Canon XT, XTi or XSi.

Q: What does DSLR stand for?

A: Google it.

Q: What are the 5D and 5D Mark II??

A: The mark of a Canon camera or lens indicates it's generation. Just like how you'd describe iPod's (1stgeneration, 2nd generation...and so on).

Q: D40, D60, D90 all pertain to Nikons right? But what are they exactly?

A: Yes. Google it.

Q: What is a fish eye? Is it a lense? If I go to Best Buy will the employees call it a fish eye or is that just a nickname?

A: Google it. Yes. I'm pretty sure Best Buy won't have any fish eyes available. They are specialty lenses soyou'd probably have to find them at local or online camera stores.
Q: What does all the "55-80 mm" stuff that describes different lenses on websites mean?

A: It's a lenses focal length. Google it

Q: I know for a Canon, the camera is the body and you have to buy lenses for the body, but can you shoot with just a plainbody or do you have to have lenses?

A: The camera body does not only pertain to Canon. If you Googled what a DSLR is you'd know the answer to thesequestions. No, you cannot take photo with a DSLR using just a body.

Q: Can you put Nikon lenses on a Canon's body?

A: No. However, some lenses can be mounted to the opposite brand's body if an adapter is used. There are 3rd partylenses available for both Canon and Nikon (note: there are other dslr manufacturers out there but these 2 are the giants) at lower prices. Some are good butmost are inferior to the Canon or Nikon counterpart.

If you're gonna ask questions about the definitions of aperture, shutterspeed, iso and other camera settings then forget it. Explanations on these termscan be easily found online. NT is a sneaker forum not a photography forum...so this thread is all we have. As a result we cannot have a stickied thread on theintroduction to digital photography. Most of them can be found by searching on Google and so I suggest you this. We're more than happy to answer, givetips, critique photos people have requested for but if you keep asking simple questions that can easily be answered by searching online then most of us areprobably gonna ignore you. Good luck and have fun with photography if you decide to really get into it.

Back
Top Bottom