Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Any tips for shooting models? I've got a slew of models who have volunteered to let me shoot them but I don't know the first thing about models and allof that +#%!.

I remember back in the days, someone had a link to a bunch of ghetto lighting rigs. Anyone by chance have that?

And does anyone think this is worth trying. I am going to take a cue from that video that was posted a couple of pages back and get like a LED flash light andsomehow attach it to my tripod and use it as an external light instead of buying or using my stock flash. Do you think the LED flashlight will act as a nicelight source? Or is there any other ghetto rig that is worth trying? Thanks? Oh...and I am really just trying to light the couples faces. I don't need alight source for their whole bodies.

HEY

I have a question guys. What lens can I buy for a beginner with a D40, looking for a lens that can take short range pictures with better quality than the stocklens basically. Im going on vacation soon and mainly want a lens that can take great pics of my family, and maybe some scenery. Or should I just pickup a fisheye lens?

Can someone critique my stuff ?
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by stepinitup

Originally Posted by Chi ILL

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
just keep shooting, youll get "better" as it comes

Agreed. And plus, it's hard to give comments and criticism about pictures that have no real goal behind them. They're just random shots, if you will.

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

Originally Posted by stepinitup

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
just keep shooting, youll get "better" as it comes

Agreed. And plus, it's hard to give comments and criticism about pictures that have no real goal behind them. They're just random shots, if you will.
Thanks you gaiz .

Quick, I like the 2nd half, 1st is a bit blurry and too much contrast for my taste.

?, Tell me about the lighting positions in these photos,
I shoot alot of people so I'm saving for some flash.

3737748413_21194dcde1_o.jpg

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

HEY

I have a question guys. What lens can I buy for a beginner with a D40, looking for a lens that can take short range pictures with better quality than the stock lens basically. Im going on vacation soon and mainly want a lens that can take great pics of my family, and maybe some scenery. Or should I just pickup a fish eye lens?
Honestly, if you want ANY sort of versatility, your stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is your best bet. A fisheye is not going to take pictures that yourparents and grandparents will enjoy, or reference as memorable pictures-- rather, they'd just be a "cool" photo. Does that make sense?

If you're going to get another lens, I'd go with a prime, such as a 50mm or the 35mm.

Here's my little bit on the difference:

On a D40, the 50mm is really 75mm, and the 35mm is really 52mm.
The 35mm f/1.8G is going to cost you about $200. It has no aperture ring (which IMO is easier to use, you'll have to use your scroll wheel to change theaperture), but you have AF and metering and can shoot in Auto mode.
The 50mm f/1.8 is going to cost you about $50, it has an aperture ring, but has no AF or metering (which means you have to do it manually and can only shoot inM)
The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is going to cost you about $500, has no aperture ring, but has AF and will meter and shoot in Auto.
The 50mm f/1.4 AI,AI-s, etc. is going to cost you about $120 and will be the exact same as the f/1.8 except it'll open up 0.4 stops more.

If you're stuck on getting a wide angle, your options are 12-24mm ($900) and 14-24mm ($1500).

And there you have it.

My suggestion, get the 50mm f/1.8 on eBay for $50.

Obviously has some PSing done. I went to the gas station with my buddy and then decided to ride around for a minute and ended up shooting a little. Mybatteries on my SB-80DX were dying and I didn't feel like changing them so I just went with it.

3741821772_1b880b72cf.jpg

3741822766_942cd5594d.jpg

Damn dumpster shadow...

3741031287_b87d38c18e.jpg

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

Quick, I like the 2nd half, 1st is a bit blurry and too much contrast for my taste.

I'm sure one of the flash was on the camera right a little above their heads .. it looks like he might of have had a fill flash to camera left or cameraleftback for rim light .. not certain .. but yeah thats what I see .. probably bare (no umbrellas - just straight on)

BTW, you guys keep getting on Quick about posting rigs pictures or whatever and I dont understand why .. yes you can be upset, but if he doesnt want to do itso what .. I know plenty of photographers that will not even entertain questions like that or will even charge you for a 1 on 1 time to answer your questions.. so yeah .. stop the hate .. if he gets salty about some of the !!@# hey thats him ...

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

I'm sure one of the flash was on the camera right a little above their heads .. it looks like he might of have had a fill flash to camera left or camera leftback for rim light .. not certain .. but yeah thats what I see .. probably bare (no umbrellas - just straight on)
430ex camera right onto a white shoot through umbrella

here are some more.

3738553344_48b4020434.jpg
3737759129_86c4fe76da.jpg

3738552826_241c368ffd.jpg
3737758607_b99bb50533.jpg

3737758397_f11cb9aa2e.jpg
3738353656_6e4b11a927.jpg

3738353378_21cc910294.jpg
3738317944_37e12a6662.jpg

3737758099_ef2131d0df.jpg

3738551754_c633abfff2.jpg

3737557427_5d62da43af.jpg

3737523133_fbc3cc18f6.jpg

3738317664_120b89376f.jpg

Nice photos everyone.
pimp.gif

Haven't posted in quite a while... this semester has been pretty tiring so far.
laugh.gif

Anyway... here's a quick pano I took when we went to Hong Kong last weekend. I have to admit I've been a bit rusty...
laugh.gif

hkpano1900.jpg

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
Shooting random things and expecting it to look artsy is not the mentality you should have when tackling photography.
Like mentioned before, just keep shooting and learning from other people and possibly books.

I'm still learning how to take full control of my camera's abilities and think about it this way we are all still learning

Originally Posted by ireminisce

here's a few random pictures of my recent trip to new york.

3737161972_ec3b06e146.jpg
pimp.gif

i went there, and it was packed with pinoys/pinays...
a few putis there also...
my one itim friend loves it there also....

anyways,
sick photos......

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

HEY

I have a question guys. What lens can I buy for a beginner with a D40, looking for a lens that can take short range pictures with better quality than the stock
lens basically. Im going on vacation soon and mainly want a lens that can take great pics of my family, and maybe some scenery. Or should I just pickup a fish
eye lens?
Honestly, if you want ANY sort of versatility, your stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is your best bet. A fisheye is not going to take pictures that your parents and grandparents will enjoy, or reference as memorable pictures-- rather, they'd just be a "cool" photo. Does that make sense?

If you're going to get another lens, I'd go with a prime, such as a 50mm or the 35mm.

Here's my little bit on the difference:

On a D40, the 50mm is really 75mm, and the 35mm is really 52mm.
The 35mm f/1.8G is going to cost you about $200. It has no aperture ring (which IMO is easier to use, you'll have to use your scroll wheel to change the aperture), but you have AF and metering and can shoot in Auto mode.
The 50mm f/1.8 is going to cost you about $50, it has an aperture ring, but has no AF or metering (which means you have to do it manually and can only shoot in M)
The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is going to cost you about $500, has no aperture ring, but has AF and will meter and shoot in Auto.
The 50mm f/1.4 AI,AI-s, etc. is going to cost you about $120 and will be the exact same as the f/1.8 except it'll open up 0.4 stops more.

If you're stuck on getting a wide angle, your options are 12-24mm ($900) and 14-24mm ($1500).

And there you have it.

My suggestion, get the 50mm f/1.8 on eBay for $50.

aperture ring works on the d40? how come i had to lock mine on 22 when i used it on the d60? or am i thinking of something else

Back
Top Bottom