Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

23kidd, you used sunny/fine weather as your white balance setting and you're shooting at ISO 200 in the dark? Fix your WB and crank up that ISO. Also, besure to choose your composition carefully. Make sure that your background isn't to busy to the point that it takes the focus away from the car. I don'treally shoot cars but here are some shots I took my friend's Mini Cooper S:

Not take away from some people's work, but I've always wondered how many people here actually know how to create that "retro" action that was introduced here recently from scratch without clicking the play button.

thats something ive been doing a lot lately, getting that "retro" look without using that action. its actually pretty fun once you get into PP mode.i was up all night once tweaking some pics and didnt even notice the time go by....but my laptop started overheating, sounded like it was going to essplode.
i know i dont post my photos here but i just like reading what everyone else has to say and see the work they contribute.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Oh and since we're on the topic of L lenses (I'll just throw this out there to bug the Nikon fanboys
tongue.gif
), Nikkor's outdated primes don't come close to the quality of Canon's L-series...and this is a known fact, admitted by Nikon shooters themselves!
laugh.gif
tired.gif
Sad, but very very true.

I was secretly amazed but at the same time sad when I shot with my friend's 5D + 50L.
smh.gif

sick pic

talking about pp you talk about masks and curve manipulation.. besides people who go to school for this.. where else can i learn how to better pp and such? isthere a book/ website? or should i look into continuing ed classes that teach that stuff? thank you in advance

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Yo, can somebody school me on tripods?
What's your budget, type of camera, biggest lens you have and what are you looking to shoot? These all come into factor when choosing a tripod.

My budget is between $0 and $100 to start with, but I would rather stay at or under $60 for the first one. The biggest lense I have is the 18-105 that camewith my camera, which is a Nikon D90. I'm shooting automobiles for the most part, but I'll probably be shooting people sometime soon as well.

Here's another angle from a shot I posted on my blog from our party at Barracuda tonight. We were out back in the parking lot afterwards, and I just lookedat the guys and said "Dude. This is pretty much a pre-packaged album cover shot ready-to-go." I added the lens flare to drive the point home, buthaven't done anything really to the shot processing-wise, otherwise. I shoulda set my ISO higher but I just took it on the fly and didn't pay attentionto the settings. It's just a hilarious shot to me, but spontaneous, and that's memorable photography to me.
IMG_9328.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. Im gonna give it another try next week or so...and do it during the day lol.

What's your budget, type of camera, biggest lens you have and what are you looking to shoot? These all come into factor when choosing a tripod.
My budget is between $0 and $100 to start with, but I would rather stay at or under $60 for the first one. The biggest lense I have is the 18-105 that came with my camera, which is a Nikon D90. I'm shooting automobiles for the most part, but I'll probably be shooting people sometime soon as well.
$100 is way too low of a budget for a tripod to support a camera like a D90. You spent $1200 on a camera and kit lens so budgeting that low for atripod is really not a good idea. Almost all tripods that go for less that $100 are very flimsy and can easily be knocked with a gently nudge. You reallydon't want to drop a $1200 set of gear on the ground just because you cheapened out on a tripod. I recommend saving up a little and getting aBogen-Manfrotto 190XPROB and a 486RC2 ball head for about $200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ng_190XB_486RC2_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Howeever if you really don't have the budget and don't see yourself using the tripod all that often you can give the Slik 500DX Pro for $100:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580557-REG/Slik_615_324_500DX_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

The same rule applies for most electronics and accessories. You usually get what you pay for. Check out Amazon and Adorama if you want free shipping. Hope thishelps.

Bobby,
Are you shooting RAW? Im asking bc you're saying you wanted to put the ISO up, but if you shoot RAW, you really have control over most of the lighting inPS's "camera RAW" (or w/e software you use to edit).

Shooting RAW on a 5D is CRACK. 21MP of crisp crisp images.

Rap Sizzle,
you're making me want to sell the rest of my sneaker collection to acquire my next L lense(s) sooner rather than later. Anyone want size 7 ZooYorks?............

If money is an issue for getting a lens, in the Bay Area (at least) you can rent them at some places...

Which is nice because you'll see the pro's/con's of them prior to purchase and if they fit your own need.

We rented a lens for a month for our honeymoon.

Santorini is gorgeous, Oia's sunsets are probably 2nd to none. We stayed in Oia and Imerovigli. Here's some of the pics my wife and I took:

6983534b4e0d62a9d8b1f6f27003e160fd5c54a.jpg
eb01574f64d0ff7f25422084d1395f3f326c2d0.jpg
5733592d4edd62bbd679fc5178c26236e553699.jpg
1c6253e4ec6c8d56fe074da676851d896b3632c.jpg
f401554b68d6f3787778624f2272162623e386e.jpg
56c256d43b6c7d88f5478ee7ca86cfa347f4481.jpg

^^^^^Battleground......very sick. All pics look really dope.

Alright.....all this lens talk is wanting me to get another lens. Any Nikon guys have this lens....14mm prime:

nikon_af_nikkor_14mm_d.jpg

Example pics (not mine):

2913773947_61b3fbb02d.jpg

I am a wide angle guy myself and as much as I like my fish, I kind of want some wide shot with less distortion. Seems kind of pricey (over a $1000) so I wantto do some research before I make a purchase like that.

And for the sake of posting something....here is some pics at Mike Giants studio:

skullz-press-10.jpg

skullz-press-2.jpg

skullz-press-3.jpg

Mr Fongstarr I have heard great reviews on the Tokina 11-16mm. many people says its one of the best wide angle lens you can buy for nikon. but the only drawback is that they are hard to find.

blog-2009010709.jpg

Originally Posted by DJ bana

Bobby,
Are you shooting RAW? Im asking bc you're saying you wanted to put the ISO up, but if you shoot RAW, you really have control over most of the lighting in PS's "camera RAW" (or w/e software you use to edit).

Shooting RAW on a 5D is CRACK. 21MP of crisp crisp images.

Rap Sizzle,
you're making me want to sell the rest of my sneaker collection to acquire my next L lense(s) sooner rather than later. Anyone want size 7 Zoo Yorks?............

Yeah Bana I do.. but I just like handling everything when I take the actual shot. I know it sounds weird, but I feel guilty PS'ing, so I try to do asminimal as possible. However, I use LR and I love the different effects as far as coloration and tone..

Originally Posted by ccookielover49

Mr Fongstarr I have heard great reviews on the Tokina 11-16mm. many people says its one of the best wide angle lens you can buy for nikon. but the only draw back is that they are hard to find.

blog-2009010709.jpg

Oh crap....why did I forget that lens. I guess I was all into getting a Nikon lens or something. Yeah....that would definitely be a better buy seeing how it ishalf the cost too. Thanks for the heads up.....

^^^ Thanks for the compliment Fongstarr

Not a Nikon user but on my Canon XT I love my Tokina 11-16. It was used on a few shots I posted above

My budget is between $0 and $100 to start with, but I would rather stay at or under $60 for the first one. The biggest lense I have is the 18-105 that came with my camera, which is a Nikon D90. I'm shooting automobiles for the most part, but I'll probably be shooting people sometime soon as well.
$100 is way too low of a budget for a tripod to support a camera like a D90. You spent $1200 on a camera and kit lens so budgeting that low for a tripod is really not a good idea. Almost all tripods that go for less that $100 are very flimsy and can easily be knocked with a gently nudge. You really don't want to drop a $1200 set of gear on the ground just because you cheapened out on a tripod. I recommend saving up a little and getting a Bogen-Manfrotto 190XPROB and a 486RC2 ball head for about $200:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ng_190XB_486RC2_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Howeever if you really don't have the budget and don't see yourself using the tripod all that often you can give the Slik 500DX Pro for $100:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580557-REG/Slik_615_324_500DX_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

The same rule applies for most electronics and accessories. You usually get what you pay for. Check out Amazon and Adorama if you want free shipping. Hope this helps.

Good information man. Thanks for that. What do you generally look for in a tripod? I have a book that was saying really general stuff like the materialit's made of, weight, etc, but they never got into real detail.

Back
Top Bottom