Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

I picked up the D40 instead of the D40x cause the only difference is 6.1mp on the d40 vs. 10 on the d40x. 6mp is enough unless your gonna print some huge posters or something with your images, Also, since the d40x has more megapixels crammed into the same sensor as the d40, it gives it more possibilities of getting noise in your image. And about the XTi, well, a lot of people say its better, but what kept me away was the price.

There are a few other differences - the main one is the pixels as you said but the D40x also has a ISO 0f 100 option - which produces less noise than the D40 -and in fact the D80 with its older sensor.

The only drawback is the fully mechanical shutter which means that the flash will only sync to a certain shutter speed - although I'm not sure what thatmeans in practice - I would assume that the shutter is too fast so you get incomplete light coverage under some conditions when shooting with the flash.

^It's more that it's focal plane shutter than mechanical being a disadvantage... For instance my Hassy has leaf shutter and as a result you can sync atanything slower than 1/500 mostly as result of the shutter not being able to go faster than 1/500. Whereas I think you might have to sync at only 1/125. Thefact that's mechanical actually an advantage in that the timing and shutter is really there rather than a digitally simulated thing. The assumption beingthough that because you have a flash or flashes, and/or strobes that you can just adjust the power of the flash so you can adjust your f-stop to whatever youlike, keep the shutter speed at 1/125 and handhold the camera if you like. I know what happens when you're not synced with film you get like this band onflash on part of the image and no flash on other parts but I've never actually seen it on digital...

A focal plane shutter is in the camera usually in 35mm film camera is really easy to spot. And it just moves across the plane of the where the film is,i've seen it where it moves either horizontally or vertically. A leaf shutter like in Hassy is in the lens, and it looks just like that lens thing in thebeginning of James Bond films. Which is part of the reason why lens for my camera are so expensive as you're essentially buying a shutter with every lens.

shot I took of moms last night. I swear I took like 20 pictures under a minute. haha

81y8b2u.jpg

I just found an old canon AV-1 SLR from my dads old brief case. he said it was purchased brand new back in 1979, so, well i put in a fresh battery and some35mm film and started snapping away. still gotta learn about the aperture and all that good stuff. what is a good scanner to scan my prints?

^How much you looking to spend? And you want a scanner you can use for just regular scanning aswell or just 35mm film? ideally you want to scan your negativesnot your prints...

An epson v750 or v700 will set you back like $500 or so and can scan negatives but since its a flat bed scanner you can scan just regularly documents orwhatever as well.. If you're looking for something cheaper let me know. But either of those are probably two of the better if not best scanners that canscan film without dropping a $1000+.

I just got a Nikon D40, and so far when I shoot around without using the tripod, its pretty blurry, any way to fix this? Also, I've noticed that somepeople pictures are so much sharper and crisper then others. Is that due to the lens? Are the default lens with the D40 pretty good?

Originally Posted by Amer2384

I just got a Nikon D40, and so far when I shoot around without using the tripod, its pretty blurry, any way to fix this? Also, I've noticed that some people pictures are so much sharper and crisper then others. Is that due to the lens? Are the default lens with the D40 pretty good?

I like the kit lens so far. It does basically everything i need. I think you might not be focusing your pics. even on auto mode, you still have to hold thebutton half way, and itll make a beep when its focused. then you press it in all the way an take a crisp pic.

The kit lens should be plenty sharp. What sounds like is happening is the shutterspeed is probably slower than 1/125. Read this document bellow and probablythe manual as well... I think what alot of people don't realize is that most cameras that people use today like 99% of point and shoots are toys. A nikond40 is not a toy, entry level or not it's a professional peice of equipment. Treat it as such and read the manual. End of the day I have no problem in theworld answering any of you guy's questions that I can but the basic stuff that I know is in the manual is trying sometimes.

slr101cb7.jpg

Cool pics everyone. With all the Christmas trees floating around, figured I could get some decent bokeh shots(nevermind the dirty glass). Some fire pitaction too. Shots taken w/Canon Digital Rebel XT(50mm f/1.8 prime - great low-light lens IMO ). Peace

My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/tezallini

Took this pic of a light... (random) but i liked how it came out. Something I'm liking about the new cam, is those things you see in the viewfinder [ ]that help you center the image better.

2137808962_686fef5e17_o.jpg

got a cam for xmas. hope to learn how to use this damn thing. i'll probably flood ebaydude's inbox with a ton of stupid questions.

85dkak6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom