Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

^ if you're talking to me then it's no - I wasn't wanting to waste time so I used the 18-55 kit lens - I just kept my camera on the tripod in theback of my car all day so I could grab it and jump out. Gave me a little more flexibility for landscape stuff too - a lot of those were shot at around 25mm.

I discovered that I need a few more things though - one of those lens hood things to keep rain off my lens - a lot of the graveyard pics look terrible becausethere are drops on the lens - and a hotshoe spirit level - I have one on my tripod but I wasn't convinced it was right sometimes. I'm still not sureabout that Loch Laggan one - I've moved it about 5 times but it still looks off to me - I'll have to have a look on my bigger monitor and see - mylaptop isn't ideal for fine stuff like that.

I read an article a few months ago about a landscape photographer - takes amazing shots - and he had 5 levels on his camera. I thought he was nuts at the timebut I'm beginning to see his point now.

KDwallace, that one with the bridge is nice. I wish the bridge didn't fall into the upper left corner like it does, but otherwise Iparticularly like that shot. But about the levels that's gotta be on view camera with the 5 levels? Because I've seen large format cameras with like atleast 4 levels but that's mostly because they have a bellows that can distort perspective where the lens plane can move independently of the film plane. Soit was like two levels on each plane. I would use a level just in general but there's no shoe on my hassy, so most of the time I just eye ball it.

Also griding your lcd cover might be helpful. I know a few people who have grided or bought a grided viewfinder for like TLRs. I'm sure they probably evenmake some kind of grided cover for your lcd.

theHBkid metering with snow like that difficult to get an accurate meter but its good bet to always close down the lens another full stop whenyou have essentially planes of fresh snow that are going to heavily reflect light.

Thanks, I wanted to get higher up for the viaduct shot but there was a big deer fence right behind me so I couldn't go any further back.

Like I said, in hindsight I should have gone to the other side and climbed higher. But I just realised that and it's 180 miles away. Maybe later in theyear.

The guy with all the levels was shooting with an SLR - for some reason he just had a ton of them. I'll try and find the magazine - just a big pile of themon the top of his camera. Looked ridiculous but he did say that he just wanted to make extra sure.

my dog, Ruckus

the best mug ever
grin.gif

critiques/comments please?

kdwallace, what's the scene like for tourists?

I heard you Scots are really hospitable people. They like Americans too?

ebayologist,

I just picked up a Canon EOS 350D. Can you point me out to a good direction on how to start using a dslr? You recommend any websites for total newbs that wantin on the hobby of photography? My camere came with a 18-55mm ef-s, I presume that this is the most basic lens for it? My uncle has the same camera as me andhe recommends a 28-70mm f2.8 for general picture taking as the 18-55mm has a limited range. Thanks.

edit: what about filters? when is it amust to change filters?

Dude, I havent took pictures for like 7 months ever since my photography class ended, and I truley miss taking pictures. What is worst is that I had my handson a 350D for cheap but decided to hustle it( i bought 3 350d kits for 349.99 roughly 10 months ago and sold em for 650...shoulda kept them)...now im stuckwithout a camera. does anyone know what i might be able to pick up another 350d kit or one with lens that i can buy so i can pick up my true hobby again?>

Scots are friendly people even to Americans. I was just over there in Nov. and everyone i encountered was nice.

kdwallace, what's the scene like for tourists?

I heard you Scots are really hospitable people. They like Americans too?

It's a big industry - the parts I visited yesterday are nice too - not changed too much but tourist friendly - if you know what I mean - it's notDisney World so you might not find the amenities you're expecting but the locals are friendly and the attractions are well looked after.

Americans are popular in Scotland - there is certainly no problem there. (my wife is American too).

The only major problem right now is the weak $ - makes everything very expensive.

I did come across a weird problem a few days ago in England though. We were hungry and none of the restaurants were serving food! - all had strange excuses oryou had to wait until 6:30 or something. So my wife and her brother ran into a Subway we found. They said they had no bread and when they asked what all thebread behind them was they said it was for the morning.

So they left. We sat in the car for a few minutes and saw the next few people being served sandwiches. Weird.

But that was England - whole different ballgame.

Got an XTi for Christmas.
Here are a few of my extra amateur photos.
Couple questions, advantage of shooting in RAW? Just picks up more details with a larger file size?
Also, need a good lens for portraits, I guess all this talk on the 50 mm. might be the way to go.
Is a Canon EF-S 75-300 mm. lens any good? Thanks for any help.
6psqzjl.jpg

6xsfgd3.jpg

6tygi8n.jpg

86hsfw2.jpg

^ RAW is definitely the way to go. I think it's been discussed in here already but the main advantage is that you can correct a lot of mistakes that youmade at the time of taking the picture.

Basically RAW allows you to change the white balance and exposure and a few other things easily and non-destructively.

The only downside is that you actually have to process each picture before you can share or print it and the file size is a lot bigger.

Just downloaded photomatix on my laptop so I could have a fiddle with a few of those pics. Obviously they've got the watermark on them but I can fix thattomorrow on my PC.

The first one is the only one where I didn't actually take 3 exposures - it's just the RAW file used (and there's another advantage of RAW) to give3 different exposures. The rest were at least 3 pictures taken at the time. These are kind of interesting IMO - a bit more tidying up and I think they couldlook pretty good. I'm intending printing a few pictures for my office and these are looking promising so far. You can also see the car in the last picturethat I removed in the other versions above:

6t1xlye.jpg

6ybbchv.jpg

Not sure about this next one - the bridge highlights are a bit blown out so it could be better.

7wixtme.jpg

6jprr77.jpg

i have photoshop on my comp. how do i make borders for my pictures? As for HDR pictures is an effect found in a program or is it all camera work?

Sup_

Great stuff kdwallace.

Bridge is definitely my favorite out of the bunch.

The lake would be dope also if it was leveled.

Peace.

^ yeah, I still need to fix that loch one. I just can't get it on this screen.

i have photoshop on my comp. how do i make borders for my pictures? As for HDR pictures is an effect found in a program or is it all camera work?

Borders is easy - just increase the canvas size - image>canvas size and then make it a little bigger - then you can fill the border with any color you like.

For HDR you need at least 3 different exposures - so either take 3 pics at the time - a 'normal' exposure, a darker one and a lighter one, or you canuse the RAW file to produce 3 different jpegs.

Then plug them into your HDR program - Photoshop has one but I don't like it, Photomatix has a good name - you can get a free trial - and you get a resulta bit like the one above. You can play around with it until it looks how you like it. I like the more subtle effect but if you google for other peoplespictures some of them are really crazy looking. My bridge one above is going a bit that way.

Back
Top Bottom