***Official Political Discussion Thread***

How are people getting high electric bills when there’s a power outage? What power was used when their isn’t any?
Technically, they should be getting credits for spoiling my **** and providing unreliable service with dangerous conditions.
Am I missing something?

How are people getting high electric bills when there’s a power outage? What power was used when their isn’t any?
Technically, they should be getting credits for spoiling my **** and providing unreliable service with dangerous conditions.
Am I missing something?
The outages haven’t been constant. If the power comes on at all, then they pay for it. The issue is that this particular supplier simply buys power at spot and charges on a cost plus model. That’s not a great way to purchase an asset that you absolutely need a constant supply of. it might be a reasonable way to sell power to, say, a BTC farm, but there are few consumers that can truly make the decision to cut consumption to zero. In most places, regulators wouldn’t let you sell this product to consumers Since there would be no way for you to adequately describe the downside risks. In Wall Street terms, the product is not suitable.

Lady has her eyes on a bigger seat. Maybe Schumer or Cuomo’s next year
I really do love AOC and the Bronx Woman energy she brings. She’s represents her constituents and their concerns well. And she also serves a traditionally underrepresented viewpoint on the national scale. But she’s going to face serious challenges if she tries transitioning her message beyond her very, very Democratic district. She positioned herself as an exceptional US Representative, but in a way that makes it harder to imagine her as anything else.

tenor.gif

Am I missing something?
The US electricity market was deregulated in the 1990s in order to allow more competition and make electricity prices cheaper. Previously, a single entity controlled generators, transmission lines, and retail power distribution. Now, those three aspects of the power grid have been broken up and have to be controlled by independent entities; that's why there are transmission operators, retail electricity distributors, and generator operators that buy and sell electricity and anything related to the generation/distribution (fuel, services, capacity, etc..) on an open market (like the stock market).

Two things dictate the availability of electricity (and therefore, the price): how many generators are online and transmission line capacity.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the supply of power must always be equal to the demand: if demand is lower than the supply, generator operators waste fuel - and money; if the demand is higher than the supply, there can be more permanent damage to the grid and its major components (which is why ERCOT had to disconnect "non-critical" users when they couldn't get enough generators online - it's known as load shedding).

What happened in TX is that because the electricity supply dropped significantly and suddenly, the generator operators who remained online were able to overcharge retail distributors who passed those new rates to the consumers. Many states have laws that put a ceiling on how much generators can charge for power to avoid price gouging in emergency situations, but it doesn't seem to be the case in TX.

That's deregulation for you.

The US electricity market was deregulated in the 1990s in order to allow more competition and make electricity prices cheaper. Previously, a single entity controlled generators, transmission lines, and retail power distribution. Now, those three aspects of the power grid have been broken up and have to be controlled by independent entities; that's why there are transmission operators, retail electricity distributors, and generator operators that buy and sell electricity and anything related to the generation/distribution (fuel, services, capacity, etc..) on an open market (like the stock market).

Two things dictate the availability of electricity (and therefore, the price): how many generators are online and transmission line capacity.
The other thing to keep in mind is that the supply of power must always be equal to the demand: if demand is lower than the supply, generator operators waste fuel - and money; if the demand is higher than the supply, there can be more permanent damage to the grid and its major components (which is why ERCOT had to disconnect "non-critical" users when they couldn't get enough generators online - it's known as load shedding).

What happened in TX is that because the electricity supply dropped significantly and suddenly, the generator operators who remained online were able to overcharge retail distributors who passed those new rates to the consumers. Many states have laws that put a ceiling on how much generators can charge for power to avoid price gouging in emergency situations, but it doesn't seem to be the case in TX.

That's deregulation for you.

I know a lot about gin. I know a decent amount about California beaches. A moderate amount about economics. A wee bit about all other social sciences. I know next to nothing about engineering.

This situation in Texas shows that we need to know more about electrical engineering. I do know that jamming perfect market theory into an electrical grid is disastrous for the grid itself and for rate payers. The fact that it’s a monopoly, alone, means it’s not a perfect market. Than we see that the seller had no “ease of exit,” do yo the physical damage to the grid itself.

Climate change isn’t impending. It’s here. And we need a smarter and fully integrated grid, powered by freeze resistant wind power and solar as well. We need a reliable source of electricity that can deal with extreme weather events. Otherwise we’ll have more and more power arbitrage and we know which neighborhoods will get cutoff and which that won’t.

Climate change isn’t impending. It’s here. And we need a smarter and fully integrated grid, powered by freeze resistant wind power and solar as well. We need a reliable source of electricity that can deal with extreme weather events. Otherwise we’ll have more and more power arbitrage and we know which neighborhoods will get cutoff and which that won’t.
There has been a move towards smart electric meters for a while since they provide instant data on energy consumption; at some point, we might even be able to tell which devices consume what as more appliances are created with smart features.

The issue I have with that is, who else will have access to that info? This where we are behind from a policy perspective, and it's also why I hate Gingrich so much for killing the congressional technology assessment office. Lawmakers shouldn't be reacting to technological changes that have been 10-20 years in the making (like we're seeing with social media); they should be crafting legislation on this stuff as it gets integrated into our daily lives, but Newt and Republicans have and continue to support the removal of the tools that would inform Congress of such advances.

Back
Top Bottom