***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Democrats don’t learn.. they also don’t develop no god damn backbone
The problem is that he doesn't consider himself a Democrat

He thinks of himself and all his colleagues as some nonpartisan referees all acting in good faith

He has little interest in helping the Dems save democracy because he thinks it is not under threat like many others do.

He cares mostly about the court retaining legitimacy

The problem is that he doesn't consider himself a Democrat

He thinks of himself and all his colleagues as some nonpartisan referees all acting in good faith

I mean I don’t sit here and revere any of these people

but it always shocks me how dumb some extremely smart people can be

like to give an example from the Bahamas.. our current Chief Justice is one of the best lawyers our country has ever seen, smart guy

but for some odd reason this guy watches Fox News on the regular and was a trump advocate

like I get being Republican when you make a certain level of money.. but I have zero clue how any informed person is not fully aware of trump’s long history of racism and just flat out stupidity and failure

like if you’re a football fan, just go watch the 30 for 30 on the USFL.. trump has had legit shh that he has just burned down because of his stupidity, ain’t none of it a secret he has failed publicly in extremely embarrassing ways

but yet even nfl owners were/are bending the knee and they should be well aware of the USFL fiasco

Breyer and RGB are going to go down as key villains in the retellings of the demise of american liberal democracy.
Not villains.

They'll be seen the same way European leaders who refused to act when Hitler's influence and intransigence grew are seen: clueless enablers trying to appeal to a humanity and sense of compromise that doesn't exist.

Breyer is an idiot who, like the rest of Americans who think "it" can't happen here, is still high off the American exceptionalism, shiny-beacon-of-democracy-on-the-hill myth.

Republicans have never accepted the legitimacy of Democratic-led administrations, starting with Clinton, all the way to Obama and now Biden. That's almost 30 years of obstructionism that have finally spilled over with Trump, but the Democratic leadership can't accept it because they used to and still do golf and drink and party with their Conservative colleagues.

First, they failed to prevent a situation that was preventable.

Then, they made residents pay for their failure to govern:

How are they going to spin this to blame democrats and let the people they voted for off the hook again? :rolleyes

Breyer really thinks that even though the Supreme Court handed the loser of the 2000 election the presidency, it is a good thing because people and Al Gore accepted the decision

A decision that would have been 4-4, and probably help Gore win if Scalia had recused himself like many were suggesting he do

Breyer and RGB are actually not idiots.
They are incredibly smart.

But the more intellectual horspower you,
the easier it is to.come up with plausible sounding arguments

to convince yourself to believe things that don't make sense.

Stephen Breyer would score higher than the average politics thread NTer on an IQ test...

But the average NTer can count to 9, and isn't going to spend time convincing themselves that thre is some intellectual nobility in a 7-2 conservative majority court.

Stephen Breyer,
RBG,
Cal Cunningham's horniness,
and Bill Nelson'sSpanish langue skills.

The greatest villains of our time.

Stephen Breyer would score higher than the average politics thread NTer on an IQ test...

But the average NTer can count to 9, and isn't going to spend time convincing themselves that thre is some intellectual nobility in a 7-2 conservative majority court.
giphy.gif

I think the average political thread NT could realize that calling him an idiot was a comment about his delusions and lack of sense on his subject, as opposed to his lack of general intelligence

But like I promised, let me not get in the way of the "well actually..." take

giphy.gif

I think the average political thread NT could realize that calling him an idiot was a comment about his delusions and lack of sense on his subject, as opposed to his lack of general intelligence

But like I promised, let me not get in the way of the "well actually..." take

people are free to clarify if that's not what they meant, I can't actually read minds.

in general, I think I've made this comment before.

i think people are too quick to assume that bad people are also dumb or have other innately terrible qualities.

people are free to clarify if that's not what they meant, I can't actually read minds.

in general, I think I've made this comment before.

i think people are too quick to assume that bad people are also dumb or have other innately terrible qualities.
You can quote people and ask them to clarify

But of course, that would have gotten in the way of take

So you want to lecture people about being quick to assume things about folk, so quickly made an assumption :lol:

Thank you for your service Osh, for always keeping us in check

Last edited:
You can quote people and ask them to clarify

But of course, that would have gotten in the way of take

So you lecture people about being quick to assume things about folk, you quickly assume things about people :lol:

Thank you for your service as always Osh, for keeping us in check

Seems to me the take works either way

high intelligence makes it easier for people to delude themselves.

but if thats not what you meant, that's cool.

Seems to me the take works either way

high intelligence makes it easier for people to delude themselves.

but if thats not what you meant, that's cool.
So the speech codes are too strict, stop moralizing about people fun person is lecturing me about using the word idiot, while a type a response of a discussion forum I use at my leisure.

When my criticism about him has strictly been about his views about the court, not his general cognitive abilities

Oh ok, I gotcha.

Again, thank you for your service Osh

So the speech codes are too strict, stop moralizing about people fun person is lecturing me about using the word idiot, while a type a response of a discussion forum I use at my leisure.

When my criticism about him has strictly been about his views about the court, not his general cognitive abilities

Oh ok, I gotcha.

Again, thank you for your service Osh

dude

I'm not lecturing anyone it's not a criticism, use the word idiot if you want.

I made a point about intelligent people being more prone to self delusion. mostly as response (response not criticism) to gry60
it's nothing deeper than that.

im not saying people shouldn't call people Breyer an idiot in the manner that you are using, it's not a criticism,
I was just making an observation about super intelligent people like Breyer and RGB.
i didn't mean it in whatever way you are receiving it.

There's no doubt Breyer is smart in that he can construct, absorb, articulate and synthesize arguments. That ability (or federalist society patronage) is what you need to become a Supreme Court judge. And to Osh’s point, that is a double edged sword because the smarter you are, the more you can deceive yourself.

And, Breyer sure is deceiving himself. When it comes to social justice, the best the high court can do is to either force an issue and hope that Congress and/State legislatures can follow up/continue to uphold it in a practical sense (Brown, Roe for example) or the court can reify an already unstoppable wave of legislation and public opinion and take credit (as was the case with gay marriage). More often, the court gets ignored like with the Trail of Tears or it joins in on the persecution like with Japanese Internment.

He’s also not taking into account how little of the court’s case load involves anything other than either dry business disputes, mediating disputes between capitalists, or cases where workers or consumers sue big business and most of the time they lose. The main reason the court exists is to uphold the status quo.

There have been some brief and glorious moments where SCOTUS sought to be something better, chiefly during the mid 20th century. And what was the reaction? Fourty years of continuous and very successful lawfare from the right. But Breyer, like many privileged people of his age group wants to simply act like the last fourty years didn’t happen and if we all pretended like we’re all living in his halcyon days, then we’d magically manifest a return the old Warren Court.

It takes some grade A self delusion to think that way but here we are.

Texas Republicans apparently think that other GOP legislators have be soft of suppressing voting rights...

LoL.

What's the practical explanation that supports forbidding people to vote before 1 pm on Sundays?

I guess people don't take any of this seriously because it sounds that ridiculous.

osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh Nobody is talking about their IQ.

It doesn't really take a genius to look at how Republicans have consistently refused to vote on Democrat bills that included GOP amendments and have refused to add language favored by Democrats in their bills to see where they stand. For Breyer to stand from his Supreme Court seat and declare that Democrats haven't talked enough to Republicans to reach a "compromise" is the height of living in his own bubble. On the court, Breyer's Conservative colleagues are basing their opinions on made up principles and dubious assumptions in order to legitimize the destruction of pieces of legislation that threaten the balance of power between christian whites and non-christian, non-whites. It doesn't take a scholar to observe that the only thing that conservatives consider legitimate is a country ruled by them and those who fully embrace their interests.

We shouldn't even be talking about intelligence here; we should be talking about wisdom. So far, centrist Democrats are showing very little of it considering that they keep asking the rest of those who are fed up with the GOP bull**** to "keep talking to the Right." And you know what they say about doing the same thing many times and expecting a different result.

Intelligent people aren't necessarily smart people. Intelligent people can lack empathy, they can be selfish, they can have massive egos.

I had to work with a guy who was without a doubt very intelligent, but he made some really stupid decisions because of his ego and inability to think about other people's perspectives.

Coming up with plausible arguments has nothing to do with intelligence. There are some stupid ****ing arguments out there that sound plausible to large groups of people.

Back
Top Bottom