***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Are you not cool with the government forcing you to not discriminate against other people?

You can't bring yourself to say it can you? Repeat after me. I'm ok with the government forcing me to sell someone a cake...

Society would have progressed much further if we didn't have so many overly religious loonies like Ted Cruz. :smh:
Those type of people should never be allowed hold a position of power.

Da United States was founded by a large part of people fleeing religious persecution,

You may not subscribe to how important religion is, but it matters.

If someone told me i had to perform a act that went against everything i hold dear religiously i wouldn't do it either.

Da cake lady went outta her way to suggest several other places da couple could've had their request granted.

And common sense would suggest why would you want to purchase a product made by someone who didn't wanna do anything other then bake a cake that violates their religious conviction and basically thinks your existence is a moral sin?

That cake would tasted terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible :lol:

Imagine da government telling Muslims soldiers they had to eat pork as part of their rations?

I dont see how a comprised couldn't of been made.

Last edited:
You can't bring yourself to say it can you? Repeat after me. I'm ok with the government forcing me to sell someone a cake...

Would you think it acceptable to deny a woman business because her clothes were made of 2 different fabrics?

Are you not cool with the government forcing you to not discriminate against other people?

It wasn't just sell...it was make one fron scratch for em.

And of anyone knows about baking a cake, its a process. Da business could've gotten someone else to do it, but if they specifically wanted da 1 individual to do it, i cant see how you make someone violate their personal beliefs.

Thats like da government forcing a girl who isnt attractive to you to make out.

There has to be compromises made on both sides.

If my job includes selling cake, yes I am ok with the government forcing me to sell a cake to a customer who asks to purchase a cake.
I do not support discrimination so it would never be an issue for me in the first place.
Personal beliefs don't give a person the right to discriminate.

Last edited:

I suppose a taxi driver could say i'll take you anywhere you want...except the destination you want to go?

lol

logical fallacy
So you're cool with the government FORCING you to sell a cake you don't want to?
my people have been through this already....

you need to ask this question to somebody who hasn't paid attention to history

As it happens, many of Mississippi's business owners object to the new law, among them, bakery owner Mitchell Moore, who was born and raised in Mississippi and now lives in Jackson with his wife and young family. We reached him at one of his bakeries.

MONTAGNE: Well, I do gather that you are a Republican. But you oppose this bill. So what are your particular objections, other than it sounds like you don't think it's needed?

MOORE: So leaving aside the stupidity of passing it because it decriminalizes discrimination - which, that really is kind of the biggest issue - but I can actually say I think the law of unintended consequences is going to come back to bite the people who signed this bill. If it is my sincerely held religious belief that I shouldn't serve them, then I can do that. And I can hide behind that language. But that language is so vague it opens a Pandora's box. And you can't shut it again.

MONTAGNE: Well, do you consider yourself a religious person or would you...

MOORE: Yes.

MONTAGNE: ...consider that maybe you don't understand what it means to have a deeply held religious belief?

MOORE: I don't think that there is such a thing as a deeply held religious belief that you should not serve people. There is no sincerely held religious belief to think that I am better than other people - to think that my sin is different than other people. And so I am a deeply Christian man, and those go counter to my belief system.

MONTAGNE: Why do you think your state elected officials, who presumably think they're looking out for the best interests of exactly people like you - why do you think that they passed this bill?

MOORE: The assumption that they think that they're looking out for us - that's not what they are doing. A report just came out. We rank number one - our state government is the most dependent on federal money. We are the third most obese state. We rank at the bottom in unemployment, in education. We've got crumbling infrastructure. None of them are being tackled. Instead, we are passing, hey-let's-discriminate bills.

As it happens, many of Mississippi's business owners object to the new law, among them, bakery owner Mitchell Moore, who was born and raised in Mississippi and now lives in Jackson with his wife and young family. We reached him at one of his bakeries.

MONTAGNE: Well, I do gather that you are a Republican. But you oppose this bill. So what are your particular objections, other than it sounds like you don't think it's needed?

MOORE: So leaving aside the stupidity of passing it because it decriminalizes discrimination - which, that really is kind of the biggest issue - but I can actually say I think the law of unintended consequences is going to come back to bite the people who signed this bill. If it is my sincerely held religious belief that I shouldn't serve them, then I can do that. And I can hide behind that language. But that language is so vague it opens a Pandora's box. And you can't shut it again.

MONTAGNE: Well, do you consider yourself a religious person or would you...

MOORE: Yes.

MONTAGNE: ...consider that maybe you don't understand what it means to have a deeply held religious belief?

MOORE: I don't think that there is such a thing as a deeply held religious belief that you should not serve people. There is no sincerely held religious belief to think that I am better than other people - to think that my sin is different than other people. And so I am a deeply Christian man, and those go counter to my belief system.

MONTAGNE: Why do you think your state elected officials, who presumably think they're looking out for the best interests of exactly people like you - why do you think that they passed this bill?

MOORE: The assumption that they think that they're looking out for us - that's not what they are doing. A report just came out. We rank number one - our state government is the most dependent on federal money. We are the third most obese state. We rank at the bottom in unemployment, in education. We've got crumbling infrastructure. None of them are being tackled. Instead, we are passing, hey-let's-discriminate bills.

Welp :rofl:

Last edited:
If my job includes selling cake, yes I am ok with the government forcing me to sell a cake to a customer who asks to purchase a cake.
I do not support discrimination so it would never be an issue for me in the first place.
Personal beliefs don't give a person the right to discriminate.

What if the KKK walked in and asked you to make a cake with burning crosses and listing all the races they hated. Would you still make it?

Last edited:
What if the KKK walked in and asked you to make a cake with burning crosses and listing all the races they hated. Would you still make it?
You're comparing something harmless (homosexuality) to hate speech/racism.
I would object to it because it is hate speech and racist. A gay couple asking me to make a cake is not hate speech/racism in any way or form.

Last edited:
You're comparing something harmless (homosexuality) to hate speech/racism.
I would object to it because it is hate speech. A gay couple asking me to make a cake is not hate speech/racism in any way or form.

Under your logic, you would be discriminating. The government would force you to bake that cake. Enjoy.

Nice strawman, do you know if the gay couple was asking for a cake with penis's and shirtless men with assless chaps?

Nice strawman, do you know if the gay couple was asking for a cake with penis's and shirtless men with assless chaps?

You're the one who a couple pages ago said the government isn't forcing anyone to do anything. Now we've determined that they are in fact forcing people to bake cakes they don't want to. Your opinion is worthless to the convo.

You're the one who a couple pages ago said the government isn't forcing anyone to do anything. Now we've determined that they are in fact forcing people to bake cakes they don't want to. Your opinion is worthless to the convo.

So you don't know. Keep spewing nonsense.

Lets take a step back though... Eff this cake business..da Carolina bill makes it clear da bathroom you use has to correspond with your birth certificate.

And what em i missing here?

Lets take a step back though... Eff this cake business..da Carolina bill makes it clear da bathroom you use has to correspond with your birth certificate.

My opnion, you use the bathroom based off of the genitalia you have. I don't care if you identify as a woman, dress like one, etc, if you can still pee standing up, you go to the men;s room.

Birth certificate is a little discriminatory because even if you go through w/ the whole thing, operations, dressing, name change, etc. and you're 99% completed (can never be 100% for obvious reasons) then you are still hindering that person.

My opnion, you use the bathroom based off of the genitalia you have. I don't care if you identify as a woman, dress like one, etc, if you can still pee standing up, you go to the men;s room.

Birth certificate is a little discriminatory because even if you go through w/ the whole thing, operations, dressing, name change, etc. and you're 99% completed (can never be 100% for obvious reasons) then you are still hindering that person.

why?

what do think will happen if trans people are allowed to use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity?

I never understand this bathroom lockeroom stuff, why anyone cares is makes no sense.

whats is this law trying to prevent?

^^^^Only problem id have is a trans (f-m) taking up a stall just to piss. Imagine having the bubble guts after eating a hot dog at the baseball game....and every stall is in use :smh:

why?

what do think will happen if trans people are allowed to use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender identity?

I never understand this bathroom lockeroom stuff, why anyone cares is makes no sense.

I'm not thinking in regards to the trans people, I'm thinkin in regards to the people who will try and exploit the law. Some perv could say "I identify as a woman" just to walk into the women's restroom. Now, if you get the surgeries, hormones, etc. then that shows that you're actually dedicated to it and it's not a phase or a sham to get your perv on.

That is not what the Carolina bill says.

The city if Charlotte passed an ordinance what would have expanded anti discrimination policies of the state to transgender people, allowing them to use the bathroom in line with their gender identification

Carolina states officials couldn't just nullify the law by itself for it passed a law saying cities can't expand on the state level anti discrimination laws at all, which btw includes minimum wage.

why?

I'm not thinking in regards to the trans people, I'm thinkin in regards to the people who will try and exploit the law. Some perv could say "I identify as a woman" just to walk into the women's restroom. Now, if you get the surgeries, hormones, etc. then that shows that you're actually dedicated to it and it's not a phase or a sham to get your perv on.

:smh: Not you famb

dog, bathrooms don't have locks on them. people can do that right now. :lol:

we have laws for harassing people, just enforce those laws.

if someone walks in a bathroom and starts harassing people, enforce the laws for harassment. why add a law that mostly just negativley effects trans people.

^^^^Only problem id have is a trans (f-m) taking up a stall just to piss. Imagine having the bubble guts after eating a hot dog at the baseball game....and every stall is in use :smh:

:lol:

serious?

well i mean presumably pissing wont take that long. I know people only go in stalls and they ren;t trans.:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom