***Official Political Discussion Thread***

"Did he succeed?"
Really?

As a former CIA guy, he should be aware that before going after the opposition, authoritarians like Trump always remove potential challengers from their immediate entourage when they take power. It is laughable how the Republican party establishment still believes that they can control him.

Seinfeld unraveling because nobody cares about his little Pop Tart movie

This is such a a asinine take

The market changed, the world changed, consumer habits and taste change, and instead of facing that fact he instead wants to culture war

I mean the dude he created Seinfeld with is about to wrap up another long running sitcom.

Curb worked because Larry David made a great product that adapted to the times and found an audience.

Jerry is too lazy or not skilled enough to do the same.

Last edited:

The market changed, the world changed, consumer habits and taste change, and instead of facing that fact he instead wants to culture war

I mean the dude he created Seinfeld with is about to wrap up another long running sitcom.

Curb worked, because Larry David made a great product that adapted to the times and found an audience.

I’d get if he was referring to his dating history

But zero clue what about his comedy then, couldn’t happen now

The part about moderates in the Iranian government losing their careers over normalization with the US is yet another blunder by the Trump administration.

The withdrawal from Afghanistan and the refusal of the outgoing Trump administration to cooperate with the Biden admin during the transition period shouldn't be forgotten either.

And people are ready to give him the keys again. What is wrong with us? :lol: :smh:

She really thought this was the best way to go about owning the Libs. She just tanked all political aspirations she ever had. Even the right is gonna be, like, "nahhhhh".

Edit: I was on the road for 14 hours today so I missed most of the story and backlash. Yeah, she's done. GOPers are condemning her already. How brain dead do you have to be? It's one thing to be an ignorant MAGA. It's another to commit acts of animal cruelty. Nobody is on board with that.

Last edited:

I listened to this podcast to check if there was any sarcasm in his comment.

He was dead serious.

Jerry brought up the Seinfeld episode "The Bookstore" (which Larry David had nothing to do with because he wasn't on the show anymore) where Kramer and Newman wanted to start a business where the homeless pull rickshaws because they're already outside.

The host brought up Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm as a counterpoint, but Seinfeld tried to deflect, saying that Larry was "grandfathered in" and LD didn't have to "observe those rules" and that if Larry were 35 years old, he wouldn't be get away with the content on Curb.

If Larry David were 35 years old, it would be 1982. :lol:

I listened to this podcast to check if there was any sarcasm in his comment.

He was dead serious.

Jerry brought up the Seinfeld episode "The Bookstore" (which Larry David had nothing to do with because he wasn't on the show anymore) where Kramer and Newman wanted to start a business where the homeless pull rickshaws because they're already outside.

The host brought up Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm as a counterpoint, but Seinfeld tried to deflect, saying that Larry was "grandfathered in" and LD didn't have to "observe those rules" and that if Larry were 35 years old, he wouldn't be get away with the content on Curb.

If Larry David were 35 years old, it would be 1982. :lol:
Amazing, so his take is stupider than I originally thought.

Seinfeld is just dumb.

Bill Burr still "gets away" with a lot of things and people mostly don't care. Not to mention shows like Family Guy and South Park still exist. I'm sure there's a million more examples people could give if they wanted to.

With all the adult cartoons out these days zero clue how or why anyone would come to that conclusion

Especially that dude of all people

But he would be far from the first white dude to cry foul

The reactionary mind is a fascinating place.

“The guy I always use as an anti-Semitic dog whistle is bad because he funds protests which I believe are anti-Semitic and are therefore bad.”
I'm old enough to remember when conservatives used the Israeli flag/Star of David as the Soros symbol.

If the religious right is comfortable with anything, it's contradiction.

Nothing new there. His stance on this is about as fresh as his act:

Don't be fooled.

http://time.com/5911/jerry-seinfeld-diversity/
https://www.salon.com/2015/06/11/je...p_what_his_anti_p_c_tirades_are_really_about/
https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/jerry-seinfeld-roseanne-barr-abc-firing-overkill-1201978933/#!
https://observer.com/1998/03/seinfe...ive-ally-mcshutupalready-a-decadent-sag-show/

Thursday, March 5

Did you happen to catch that Seinfeld episode this season in which a young performance artist, played by Kathy Griffin, does a monologue calling Jerry Seinfeld “the devil”? Well, it looks like Obie Award-winning actor Danny Hoch, 27, was the basis for that one. He’ll be doing a solo show starting March 30 at Performance Space 122, directed by Jo (“Don’t Call Me Mrs. Eric Bogosian”) Bonney, and in it he does a long monologue calling Jerry Seinfeld “the enemy.” Mr. Hoch performed the Seinfeld-as-enemy bit in Los Angeles in November of last year and believes that word got back to the target of his rant, leading to the Kathy Griffin spot.…

Now why would Mr. Hoch hate America’s Beloved Entertainer? He said it goes back to the time when he couldn’t bring himself to play the part of a Latin pool boy in the stereotyped manner demanded by the Seinfeld star. It was a show from 1995 that involved Jerry and Newman swimming at a health club. Mr. Hoch was supposed to play an unsavory pool boy with a heavy Spanish accent; at the end of the episode, the pool boy has drowned, and neither Jerry nor Newman is willing to give him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.…

Mr. Hoch’s experience gives a nice glimpse of how the show’s cast, including Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Jason Alexander, Michael Richards and its ex-head writer, Larry David, work together in a minor backstage crisis.…

“I normally don’t do sitcoms because they really have no substance and are about passivity rather than activity,” said Mr. Hoch, beginning to explain why he originally took the gig, “but I had just gotten back from Cuba, and I was disoriented. I had never watched a whole episode, but my honest logic was that if this is the most watched thing on TV, and if I’m on it, more people will come see my theater. When I read the script, I saw what the part could possibly be, and so I called up and said, ‘This isn’t your stereotypical Spanish-speaking pool guy, is it?’-because otherwise, I wasn’t getting on the plane. And they said, ‘Not at all, it can be whoever you want to be.’ But when I got there, I found out it was the stupid one-dimensional role that I didn’t want to do.…

“During the table read-through, I did the part as a higher-strung version of me. And everyone laughed, and I think they were maybe embarrassed to ask me to do it in a Spanish accent with, like, 30 people sitting around. Once you finish the read-through, you get up and block it, and then it was just me and Jerry and Jason and Julia and Michael and the director, and I think they felt like they could ask me then. It’s what they had in their mind, but it came as a surprise to me. When they asked me, I thought, ‘Aaaah, I should have followed my instincts.’ …

“We got into a discussion, which got into an argument. Jerry and the director Andy [Ackerman] came up to me, and they were like, ‘Why not?’ And I was like, ‘The role is stupid and it’s a clown and I have no problem doing it and it’s funny, but I can’t do the Spanish accent because it’s one-dimensional.’ I said, ‘Why does it have to be in Spanish? Why can’t it be Israeli?’ And Jerry said, ‘Because it’s funnier that way.’ Which is when it became obvious to me that there was nowhere else to go with the discussion. So he called Larry David on his cell phone, and 10 minutes later he came down and said, ‘Why did you fly all the way across the continent for this? It’s just a half-hour comedy show, what’s the big deal?’ And I said, ‘It’s a big deal to me because there’s too many friends of mine who are highly trained actors that are Cuban and Puerto Rican and Dominican, and all they get asked to do are one-dimensional roles and here I am, not even Latino, and you’re asking me to play a clown and I can’t.’ …

“Everyone was laughing when I was doing it as me, but it seemed to be a Jerry issue-he really believed it was funnier in a Spanish accent. And the sad thing is, maybe it would have been funnier to people in a Spanish accent. And what does that say about the American people? I don’t do the work that I do to make fun of the people that I play, but to make fun of the audience. They tried to give me a guilt trip like ‘You’re just a kid from New York and we’re Seinfeld ,’ and, basically, they were like, ‘You’re ruining our lunch.’ …

“Jason and Julia were really cool about it. They were very supportive, and they both said, ‘If that’s what your instincts tell you to do, then you shouldn’t do it.’ But Michael Richards was like, ‘Just do it or else they’re going to replace you.’ And I was like, ‘Who gives a ****! My life doesn’t revolve around this ****!’ I think Jerry thought I was challenging his position, like who the hell am I to question him. It was almost as if he was doing me a favor because every actor in the world wants to be on Seinfeld . But not me. So the next thing I knew, I got back to the hotel and they said the rehearsal the next day was postponed while they found someone else, and then they told me I could fly home as soon as I liked. And I never got paid for the day’s work.” …

These washed up old comedians love to blame DEI/CRT/cancel culture/political correctness for the failure of crude, lazy stereotypes and "shock humor" from last century to reliably land with anyone lacking a mustache and aggressive side-part.

They claim it's a matter of resisting some sort of tyrannical censorship, but critiquing comedy is free speech and boycotts represent freedom of association.

What they're really upset about ultimately boils down to other people's negative opinions towards their negative opinions.

They want to treat boos and empty seats as a form of violence - and then have the nerve to call "the woke left" snowflakes.
They're mad that they now have to hear from modern audiences who are no longer forced to suffer the insipid musings of whichever mediocre White man got a phone call from Johnny Carson during the Atari era.

Even their complaints about comedy are old enough to vote.

Curb worked because Larry David made a great product that adapted to the times and found an audience.

Admittedly, I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm, but I have to believe that its success, and that of Veep, is feeding Seinfeld's bitterness.

This guy thought he was the Michael Jordan of comedy in 1994, but thirty years later it's become obvious to everyone that Jerry Seinfeld was actually the Luc Longley of Seinfeld.
What's he done since? Meme movie we might have collectively hallucinated and the unseasoned version of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives?

This was probably his Joker stairs/fedora moment:

Back
Top Bottom