Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

niketock88 niketock88 you get it working?
No i haven't yet. I have to download eclipse still. When i do..i will probably be able to open the files right from the app. Its kind of bugging me that i cant fet it to work through my terminal. Been having trouble learning to code for a long time. Kind of discouraging.

No i haven't yet. I have to download eclipse still. When i do..i will probably be able to open the files right from the app. Its kind of bugging me that i cant fet it to work through my terminal. Been having trouble learning to code for a long time. Kind of discouraging.
We've all been there so try not to let it discourage you. Try using Eclipse to see if you can get it working and let us know how it goes. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with trying to compile Java programs using the terminal.

I use my mac terminal to run .java files(try to)

Was given a folder of .java test/sample programs to observe/ for practice..simple programs..average of 5 numbers type program..calculator program. I saved the files to my documents folder under the name “.edu” ..within this “edu” folder is a folder called “princeton” within that folder is “algs4”(which has all the sample .java files i want to practice running)

So
cd Documents/
cd edu/
cd princeton/
cd algs4/
javac Calculator.java
java Calculator

..i just get an error. Not found..i dont know why theres not being compiled

If i find a sample program online and save it to my desktop and compile through terminal..those work. Idk the issue. Is my pathway off? I REALLY have no clue

Try running cat command from the terminal to see the source code and paste that here so we could take a look.
The class might need some external dependencies(.jar) files to run the program
This is how you would run cat command:

cat Calculator.java

At the top of the file there might an import statement or some instructions on how to compile.
If .jar file are needed you would add them to the same folder as your Calculator.java class and you could compile and run this way:

javac -cp .:SOME_JAR_FILE.jar Calculator.class
java -cp .:SOME_JAR_FILE.jar Calculator

Last edited:
Hey there I know I spoke to some of you in here a while ago about java and how I’ve been having a tough time. I’m in a real pickle right now so if anyone can PM me and help me so I can pass this class please let me know! I would appreciate it so much.

Hey there I know I spoke to some of you in here a while ago about java and how I’ve been having a tough time. I’m in a real pickle right now so if anyone can PM me and help me so I can pass this class please let me know! I would appreciate it so much.
What do you need help with and by when?

I'm not as familiar with Java, but I can help if it's general programming concepts.

My profesor is lecturing us in class about java..from the book but is not teaching us how to code. I have found this to be the norm at other colleges and from speaking with other students. Teachers go over chapter contents with figures and diagrams, pictures, shapes. But they don’t teach you how to actually code yet they give you homework and projects to solve coding problems it really doesn’t make sense. So I’m basically finding all the solutions..but I need help. I just need to get through this course and then all of Christmas vacation I will study Java and learn to code but right now I just need to pass this class. I have other classes too so it’s tough to teach myself at the moment. If anyone has been through this or has gone through a tough time with coding and then learned them selves can you please let me know your experience anything would help.

My experience in college they never taught you how to code per say. They had text books & they gave you assignments based off what you studying in that chapter but like you said professor really never taught us. Pretty much they gave us homework but we learned how to code ourselves.

Even with my new job, I had to learn to code in PL/SQL because I only coded in Java, grant it if you can code you pretty much can pick up any language.

My experience in college they never taught you how to code per say. They had text books & they gave you assignments based off what you studying in that chapter but like you said professor really never taught us. Pretty much they gave us homework but we learned how to code ourselves.

Even with my new job, I had to learn to code in PL/SQL because I only coded in Java, grant it if you can code you pretty much can pick up any language.
Right and I’ve been trying to learn on and off for a few years but I’ve had such terrible experiences with it that it’s seriously so discouraging.

Last edited:
Anyone good at java in here?? Literally have the smallest thing wrong with a simple spellchecker program and cant get the correct words to print

Anyone good at java in here?? Literally have the smallest thing wrong with a simple spellchecker program and cant get the correct words to print
I’ve been working in Java for the past few weeks at work, so I can try to help.

Post your code.

Future tip: If this is for a class, just google it. Most schools use the same programming assignments and students tend to post their solutions online.

After looking back through the last page, I genuinely don't think you should be getting into programing niketock88 niketock88 , at least not in the format you're doing. That might suck to hear seeing as you've been spending money on classes. You seem to have trouble problem solving and resource finding, so I can't even recommend self-education. You'd need a good bootcamp with an involved interaction.

After looking back through the last page, I genuinely don't think you should be getting into programing niketock88 niketock88 , at least not in the format you're doing. That might suck to hear seeing as you've been spending money on classes. You seem to have trouble problem solving and resource finding, so I can't even recommend self-education. You'd need a good bootcamp with an involved interaction.
That was last semester..literally my first programming class ever and it was java..with no help. Im actually better now seeing as that was 6 months ago. I don’t have any problems with solving seeing as classes are over now and I have completed all my projects literally just needed help with one line of code that I couldn’t find anywhere

That was last semester..literally my first programming class ever and it was java..with no help. Im actually better now seeing as that was 6 months ago. I don’t have any problems with solving seeing as classes are over now and I have completed all my projects literally just needed help with one line of code that I couldn’t find anywhere
You figure it out or you still need help?

Keep going fam. Don’t quit.

Got offered my first developer job. Will probably accept.

Fell into an unrelated field after college and spent years in it. Cool to be able to get into the field I was initially going for.

Nervous since it's legit been forever since I did any programming and it was all just college classwork, but I was introduced to the guy I'm gonna be working closest with and he seems chill.

Got offered my first developer job. Will probably accept.

Fell into an unrelated field after college and spent years in it. Cool to be able to get into the field I was initially going for.

Nervous since it's legit been forever since I did any programming and it was all just college classwork, but I was introduced to the guy I'm gonna be working closest with and he seems chill.

Start date was a little over two weeks ago and I feel like I've learned so much already. Everything seems so much more in my grasp after starting my first job actually programming. When I was learning before, it felt so abstract.

Working for a really large organization but my team is small. Four people on the development side and three people on the operations side. Since this is kind of like a relatively new independent project within the organization, I feel like it has a start-up type of feel. Everything is changing as we go. Which I think is helping me learn too. We work in Python mostly. We're in the process of moving to AWS and containerizing our project so I'm learning about DevOps stuff, i.e CI/CD, Docker, and AWS. None of which I knew before so learning as I go. They use Postgres DB and I think I'm going to work more with that in the near future. So far I got familiar with the codebase, our project goals, and reworked one Python function to perform significantly faster. I was assigned three issues over the next two weeks since I'm the only one not going on vacation.

The meetings are very different from my previous job. We have constant communication. We use the Google Suite since our organization uses it. But it's basically Google Meets almost everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Anyway was nervous before starting but really comfortable now. I think with the way it's going, I'm going to know a lot by the end of my first year. Alot of the stuff on those developer job listings that looked so confusing to me before I'm coming into contact with and they seem a lot more attainable, will become comfortable with hopefully in a few months. Since we're working with AWS anyway, I might try to just get some certs too. Might try for an AWS DevOps cert. Resume will be solid with this job and that cert in like a year or two from now.

Last edited:
Start date was a little over two weeks ago and I feel like I've learned so much already. Everything seems so much more in my grasp after starting my first job actually programming. When I was learning before, it felt so abstract.

Working for a really large organization but my team is small. Four people on the development side and three people on the operations side. Since this is kind of like a relatively new independent project within the organization, I feel like it has a start-up type of feel. Everything is changing as we go. Which I think is helping me learn too. We work in Python mostly. We're in the process of moving to AWS and containerizing our project so I'm learning about DevOps stuff, i.e CI/CD, Docker, and AWS. None of which I knew before so learning as I go. They use Postgres DB and I think I'm going to work more with that in the near future. So far I got familiar with the codebase, our project goals, and reworked one Python function to perform significantly faster. I was assigned three issues over the next two weeks since I'm the only one not going on vacation.

The meetings are very different from my previous job. We have constant communication. We use the Google Suite since our organization uses it. But it's basically Google Meets almost everyday, sometimes twice a day.

Anyway was nervous before starting but really comfortable now. I think with the way it's going, I'm going to know a lot by the end of my first year. Alot of the stuff on those developer job listings that looked so confusing to me before I'm coming into contact with and they seem a lot more attainable, will become comfortable with hopefully in a few months. Since we're working with AWS anyway, I might try to just get some certs too. Might try for an AWS DevOps cert. Resume will be solid with this job and that cert in like a year or two from now.
Are you using Python for backend development?

Are you using Python for backend development?

I might be getting some of this wrong cause I'm still familiarizing my understanding of how all this works but..

I don't think there's much going on in the backend right now. We run our production on a designated PC that we remote connect into. We have our production environment set up there as well as the database. So the only backend stuff I think that's happening is when we're querying or updating the database which does happen through Python. Operations speaks to the client to get their needs, gets onto the remote pc to run our code to gather and process data (accessing the database in the process) and produces the finished data for our client. I think eventually we want to have it so our clients are able to produce that product on their own, and at that time we'll have more backend code because it'll require a separate webserver for a web application which the client will use to interface our "software."

Uhh...I think all of that makes sense and is right but maybe I'm completely off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom