Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

This thread needs a revival

You a developer man? I never knew that.

How beneficial are programming boot camps? I've considered signing up for one. I would like to change career fields, but I feel like I would need years of experience to be considered for a programming job.

Any tips or suggestions on where I should look to get started? I used to do a lot of HTML back in the day.

I've seen some of those.

UC Irvine is offering an accelerated course 3 days a week for 12 weeks, I think.

Considering it, but not sure yet.

I completed the UC Berkeley full time program last summer, I think the UCI course is definitely worth considering. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or the process because the two curriculums are identical. The curriculum, instruction, and a good chunk of the career services at both schools are all provided by Trilogy Education Services, Inc. The schools just provide facilities, administrative support, and some minor career services work of their own.

Overall I was impressed with Trilogy. The cost of the Berkeley program was 12K which is a few g's less than the other mainstream Bay Area boot camps. Overall seemed like really good value for the money in comparison to other programs, but I do think every individual should ask themselves a few questions before determining if the cost of coding bootcamp is a good value for them personally.

I think the most beneficial aspects of the Trilogy coding bootcamps are the career services, which might make the money spent worth it alone depending on the circumstances, and the range and scope of the curriculum. The latter has its own pros and cons though. Covering so much material in such a limited amount of time is more conducive to gaining exposure and light experience across a range of languages and technologies opposed to any kind of deep learning or understanding of any one technology or computer science fundamentals.

Last edited:
He said he knew a little HTML. I honestly think he's better off self learning than trying an accelerated course. Unless he has 12k to spend. That is a crazy price for only 3 months. Education is getting ridiculous.

That's above college tuition. A 4 month semester runs me about $4000

I completed the UC Berkeley full time program last summer, I think the UCI course is definitely worth considering. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or the process because the two curriculums are identical. The curriculum, instruction, and a good chunk of the career services at both schools are all provided by Trilogy Education Services, Inc. The schools just provide facilities, administrative support, and some minor career services work of their own.

Overall I was impressed with Trilogy. The cost of the Berkeley program was 12K which is a few g's less than the other mainstream Bay Area boot camps. Overall seemed like really good value for the money in comparison to other programs, but I do think every individual should ask themselves a few questions before determining if the cost of coding bootcamp is a good value for them personally.

I think the most beneficial aspects of the Trilogy coding bootcamps are the career services, which might make the money spent worth it alone depending on the circumstances, and the range and scope of the curriculum. The latter has its own pros and cons though. Covering so much material in such a limited amount of time is more conducive to gaining exposure and light experience across a range of languages and technologies opposed to any kind of deep learning or understanding of any one technology or computer science fundamentals.
I'll definitely look into it. If I do decide to do it, I'd have to definitely take out a student loan, but sheesh. I'd like to the investment to learn would payoff in the long run.

I'll definitely look into it. If I do decide to do it, I'd have to definitely take out a student loan, but sheesh. I'd like to the investment to learn would payoff in the long run.

Look for a boot camp company that promises you a job after completion. My girlfriend's sisters 's boyfriend did it. Upon successfully completing it, he was offered work almost immediately I believe.

Look for a boot camp company that promises you a job after completion. My girlfriend's sisters 's boyfriend did it. Upon successfully completing it, he was offered work almost immediately I believe.
This is what I want to look for. Already have a place to move to back to NorCal, just have to find the job. Hoping I find one this year.

I've been strongly considering doing the Trilogy program through UC Berkeley

northoaklandfc northoaklandfc Yessir, but atm I’m on a UX/UI contract so I haven’t deployed any code since around sept/oct.

I’m looking to get back into a full time dev role or at least take on a few dev projects early this year.

How beneficial are programming boot camps? I've considered signing up for one. I would like to change career fields, but I feel like I would need years of experience to be considered for a programming job.

Any tips or suggestions on where I should look to get started? I used to do a lot of HTML back in the day.

Check out https://apprenticareers.org/ and see if it’s in your city

Take the assessment tests (takes 2-4 hours)

They pay for the 16 week bootcamp ($12K) and at completion you automatically get paid internship with one of their partners making Up to 80% of the normal salary and then that goes up at 6 months then 12 months.

I passed All my interviews then got to the last step and had to interview with company I would be working for and didn’t get selected as one one of the interns :frown::smh:.

Good opportunity though, I’m going to just save and try to pay my own way through a boot camp come May .

Check out https://apprenticareers.org/ and see if it’s in your city

Take the assessment tests (takes 2-4 hours)

They pay for the 16 week bootcamp ($12K) and at completion you automatically get paid internship with one of their partners making Up to 80% of the normal salary and then that goes up at 6 months then 12 months.

I passed All my interviews then got to the last step and had to interview with company I would be working for and didn’t get selected as one one of the interns :frown::smh:.

Good opportunity though, I’m going to just save and try to pay my own way through a boot camp come May .
Unfortunately none for CA. If I still lived in VA, the location in Herndon would’ve been perfect. lol

Dope video for anyone who has free time to watch or wants to just listen to the audio at work about Dev/IT/CyberSecurity

Anybody try Udacity Nanodegree programs?

Never tried. I personally don't see the benefit unless you're the type of learner that needs that structure/schedule to learn.

Personally, I would stack up on some Udemy courses when they're on sale, knock them out over the course of a few weeks/months and build osme real world applications/websites to use as reference for your portfolio/resume.

Here's a Reddit review

I've taken a few Udemy courses just to sharpen some skills and the support from instructors is really good. I asked a question in the Q&A section of one course and I had a response by the next morning (I usually do personal dev late at night).

Plus isn't Udacity like $1k+ for enrollment? That's OD considering its just video content.

I'm probably going dabble with MongoDB soon just to get a grasp/feel for NoSQL. MySQL isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but I'd like to know both just in case I get a future job that requires it.

Udacity actually have their courses for free. And so far, I'm enjoying them. Better than the tutorials I come across.

Udacity actually have their courses for free. And so far, I'm enjoying them. Better than the tutorials I come across.

Ah ok, so they must have a free tier and then the nanodegree is a separate program.

Ah ok, so they must have a free tier and then the nanodegree is a separate program.
No its not separate. You can take the nanodegree courses for free as well. The paid nanodegree just offers some perks such as code reviews and mentorship.

No its not separate. You can take the nanodegree courses for free as well. The paid nanodegree just offers some perks such as code reviews and mentorship.

Hmm.. Interesting. Better off using the free version and stackoverflowing any bugs you run into for code review

Hmm.. Interesting. Better off using the free version and stackoverflowing any bugs you run into for code review

Yeah because the nanodegrees are expensive. They have two main courses. Android Basics and Android developer. Android basics nanodegree is about $500. I'm doing the free version of Android basics now. The Android developer one is split into two 3 month courses and cost $800 a piece. Since it's co developed with Google, I'm gonna do it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom