Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

The best black engineering organization is NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers). NSBE holds the biggest engineering career fair in the US the last week of March annually.

I encourage all races to attend yearly . I owe everything to NSBE the connections you make, and seeing so many like minded people that look like you is life changing.

Bruh I`m thinking about Joining since I`m in Grad School straight up. I`m not looking to make moves now per say but probably will come in handy my final year.

Who has personal websites that they've built, whether for school or leisure? I built my first site using a free theme from WordPress and tweaking it to my liking at the time, then I did a website redesign project w/ someone and went on to working on redoing mine but got distracted (story of my life man :smh: )

Anywho, here's a link to the struggle :lol:

Definitely need better font selection. Luckily we live in the future and getting fonts on websites are so easy. Peep Google fonts. Only was able to view mobile. From a design stand point way too much padding below navbar. All social media links should be on same container.

Added you on LinkedIn as well initials PT.

Some cool little things that I've helped me in some little side web projects

Chart.js -> charting framework in js great way to feed data into a chart on the web. Very easy to build into an applications

X-editable -> bootstrap extension used to create a live table in html. Used this in a web project to manage a database from the front end of an application. Allows you to make a table editable. With the write backend coding (I created backed php pages) you can have users edit the database live

Last edited:

I hit yo back

Who has personal websites that they've built, whether for school or leisure? I built my first site using a free theme from WordPress and tweaking it to my liking at the time, then I did a website redesign project w/ someone and went on to working on redoing mine but got distracted (story of my life man :smh: )

Definitely need better font selection. Luckily we live in the future and getting fonts on websites are so easy. Peep Google fonts. Only was able to view mobile. From a design stand point way too much padding below navbar. All social media links should be on same container.

Added you on LinkedIn as well initials PT.

Some cool little things that I've helped me in some little side web projects

Chart.js -> charting framework in js great way to feed data into a chart on the web. Very easy to build into an applications

X-editable -> bootstrap extension used to create a live table in html. Used this in a web project to manage a database from the front end of an application. Allows you to make a table editable. With the write backend coding (I created backed php pages) you can have users edit the database live

Yea, I tried to go simple and basic w/ the font and thought it was coo until I was done and then looked at how plain it is. One thing w/ web design that's tough is finding the right background for the page/section. I've found myself using Gimp to create different backgrounds from free ones I find online.

Bruh I`m thinking about Joining since I`m in Grad School straight up. I`m not looking to make moves now per say but probably will come in handy my final year.
Join the ATL professional chapter, I'm sure that will be much more beneficial for you.

add udacity.com to the free resources OP. all of the video content is free, but they try to push their subscription model

I hit yo back
Yea, I tried to go simple and basic w/ the font and thought it was coo until I was done and then looked at how plain it is. One thing w/ web design that's tough is finding the right background for the page/section. I've found myself using Gimp to create different backgrounds from free ones I find online.

What do you mean backgrounds? If you're meaning background as the sense of the body background I would not use an image unless for advertising purposes and won't have it dynamically generate a gradient with css

I have one built for my drone company using Wix. It has embedded video and everything.

Yeah, for the record I'll speak about programming and life experiences because it matters to some even if it doesn't matter to you. And Vlad's info was more than necessary. Thanks.

Last edited:
So if you had one source to learn JavaScript from, what would you choose? (and maybe html5, ruby/rails)

On tip for the Web developers.  If you are looking for a JS framework, DO NOT touch ExtJS.  LEAVE IT ALONE. IT IS CRAP.  Go Angular and save yourself the headache 
mean.gif

Anyone here self teach themselves programming and managed to get a job without a cs degree? I hear people say you just need a good portfolio, but not sure how realistic that is when I look at job applications in the field.

I wanted to start learning on my own as a backup career path, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time investment if it's going to be a dead end.

Last edited:
I hit yo back

What do you mean backgrounds? If you're meaning background as the sense of the body background I would not use an image unless for advertising purposes and won't have it dynamically generate a gradient with css

Site background to add more to the site than a gradient or single color background.

So if you had one source to learn JavaScript from, what would you choose? (and maybe html5, ruby/rails)

The free version of CodeAcademy. I promise it makes JS easy to learn (at least the basics) and digest.

This, it definitely does help, and don't be afraid to take notes. I have a composition book for just about every language and add to it as I learn new things for future reference.

Anyone here self teach themselves programming and managed to get a job without a cs degree? I hear people say you just need a good portfolio, but not sure how realistic that is when I look at job applications in the field.

I wanted to start learning on my own as a backup career path, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time investment if it's going to be a dead end.

Uhm...

Last edited:
To whoever recommended FreeCodeCamp, thank you
nthat.gif
.  I'm on here brushing up on CSS and Bootstrap and its actually pretty easy to follow!

Best course I've taken so far is Udemy Complete iOS development course by Rob Percival. Somehow dude teaches you how to build iOS apps while teaching you Swift at the same dam time. You'll build your first app within 3 days and know how and what you did both code-wise and layout wise. It's $199 but next time it goes on sale for either $10 -$15 I'll let y'all know for sure.

He even gives you a year of free web hosting where you can het your own domain name and everything so you can build sites to marke the apps you make. Also he goes over in detail how to successfully submit your app to Apple. You'll build a Tinder clone app, Uber clone, and an Instagram clone so you'll know the code and layout of premium apps.

Uhm...
lol my bad. Guessing that uhm means it's been covered. Skimmed past it since I thought yall were just talking about the best way to learn.

Udemy will frequently have sales where all their courses are $7-$12, unless you can't wait, I wouldn't pay full price.

Udemy will frequently have sales where all their courses are $7-$12, unless you can't wait, I wouldn't pay full price.

Agreed, I got all of mine on discount. Android App Dev, iOS App dev, Ethical Hacking Certification course, and CCNA course all for less than $100 when regular price was $199 and $299 for the courses. And they are thorough courses. There's over 200 modules in the iOS course alone. If a person has the discipline to stick with it they'd be in the position to make their own money. That's what I'm doing now. I'm done working for companies.

Agreed, I got all of mine on discount. Android App Dev, iOS App dev, Ethical Hacking Certification course, and CCNA course all for less than $100 when regular price was $199 and $299 for the courses. And they are thorough courses. There's over 200 modules in the iOS course alone. If a person has the discipline to stick with it they'd be in the position to make their own money. That's what I'm doing now. I'm done working for companies.

how long did it take you to knock one out?

Back
Top Bottom