< OFFICIAL PUMA™ THREAD >

Hey guys! A few weeks ago I posted my LPU of the Puma x United Arrows & Sons x 5525 Gallery. As most of you know, it's a Disc Blaze, which I never really liked. I said I would remove the disc and here it is! Keep in mind, I am NOT a customizer! This is the first time I've even attempted to customize a shoe lol. I did this with a few household tools I found in my gf's place. Let me know what y'all think!
With the discolored toe box, the Disc unit was doing too much originally. The laces have definitely toned-down the look. Well done man! 
smokin.gif

Hey guys! A few weeks ago I posted my LPU of the Puma x United Arrows & Sons x 5525 Gallery. As most of you know, it's a Disc Blaze, which I never really liked. I said I would remove the disc and here it is! Keep in mind, I am NOT a customizer! This is the first time I've even attempted to customize a shoe lol. I did this with a few household tools I found in my gf's place. Let me know what y'all think!
SNS?! 

Wow, really nicely done!

That's awesome, repped!  I've liked a bunch of the disc blaze colorways, but never been a fan of the disc look.  I'd be interested in hearing more about the process, especially how you removed the disc and punched the holes.

@thefreshlife  good craftmanship!

i was wondered also because i am not a fan of discs at all.

imho the bape discs would be good to do a lace conversion. maybe i'll try it out!

glasses.gif

much better with laces imo. Good work bro!

With the discolored toe box, the Disc unit was doing too much originally. The laces have definitely toned-down the look. Well done man! 
smokin.gif

SNS?! 
Wow, really nicely done!

That's awesome, repped!  I've liked a bunch of the disc blaze colorways, but never been a fan of the disc look.  I'd be interested in hearing more about the process, especially how you removed the disc and punched the holes.

@thefreshlife  good craftmanship!

i was wondered also because i am not a fan of discs at all.

imho the bape discs would be good to do a lace conversion. maybe i'll try it out!

glasses.gif
Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

DIY: Puma Discless Blaze Custom!

So here's a little write-up about what I did! As I said earlier, I am not a customizer. This was my first custom and I kind of just gave it a go lol.

The first and most important thing you need to check is what the material of the side is. A lot of Disc's have a plastic cage, and for that you will need an electric drill. I've heard some people have gotten away by using a soldering iron as well.

Materials for leather or cloth based cage:
  • Shoes
  • New Laces
  • Awl, Leather Hole Punch, Needle, Scissors, Wire Cutters, Drill (Plastic Cage Disc's)
  • Ruler/Tape Measure
  • Patience
Step 1: Cut off the wires

A normal, crappy pair of scissors will be enough to do this. I just pulled the disc itself up and snipped away the wires. There should be 8 total. Pull out the loose wires from the wire holding unit attached to the sides and the disc should just be hanging there attached by the loop at the bottom.

Step 2: Remove the Disc unit from from the loop

I used scissors here again, but a wire cutter might better. Push the disc to one side so that more of the plastic is exposed. Pull the disc up a bit towards you and slowly start to cut away at the plastic. This part is a bit thicker than the wires from before, so it might take a bit more care. After you cut through, you can just pull the bottom bit of the disc apart through the loop and chuck the Disc.

Step 3: The sides

For my UA&S collab, the sides are leather, and the plastic wire holding unit is sewn on to the leather. I used a threading needle to slowly de-thread the plastic. This is the most time consuming part of the custom. Be patient! Once you get through with that, you can just rip the plastic bit off. There will be some loose threads on the leather side as well, so just pull those out with your needle and they will come out very quickly. I was initially worried about this, but it is not noticable at all, even when looking closely. Essentially there is just no thread through the small, small holes.

Repeat for the other side.

Step 4: Making the holes

This is a step you should be careful with. If you are really OCD about evening out the sides, I would invest in a leather hole punch and grab a ruler and a pen. I'm pretty lazy, so I just briefly measured out where I wanted the holes, and put a small mark in the leather with a needle. I eyeballed a lot of it because I got lazy lol. Once you make the marks, just punch out the holes. For mine, I used an awl, which is just a sharp, metal point on a wooden rod. Just push in slowly and rotate a bit and it will cut through.

Step 5: Lacing

Just laces em however you want!

Step 6: Stunt

You're ready to rock em!

My girlfriend commented on how the leather might get cut into by the laces. She suggest I place some kind of rivet to strengthen the lace holes, and I think that's a really good idea. Might look into that this weekend.

If any of you guys try the custom please let me know how it went.

And if you guys have any other questions please let me know! 

Eyelets could look really cool but i highly doubt they are necessary. Unless you go running in them a bunch i dont think the laces will rip through leather...I mean almost all my pairs have lace holes just cut into suede or leather without eyelets and they never rip through. 

Awesome job bro, you made it look 100000x better with the laces
Thanks man!

@thefreshlife  grab some nice blue eyelets if you can! 

Yeah blue eyelets would be dope.

Eyelets could look really cool but i highly doubt they are necessary. Unless you go running in them a bunch i dont think the laces will rip through leather...I mean almost all my pairs have lace holes just cut into suede or leather without eyelets and they never rip through. 
Yeah, I think it'd be a nice touch, but might be a bit too much work, and I am pretty lazy lol.

Back
Top Bottom