Official Reebok Kamikaze II Thread AKA "Reignmans"

@midd44
Penny, Scottie, and The Glove were all Nike guys, so it's not really relevant to compare how 2 different companies chose to release sig models. More of their staple sig shoes hit a little later in the 90's when Nike was growing faster than Reebok. And issues or not, all 3 players were arguably more popular than the Reebok guys except for Shaq. At least from what I recall (I'm 36 btw.)
Shawn Kemp was a bigger deal in Seattle than Payton was, Shawn was the star, Gary was the leader, needless to say I'm bummed they haven't remastered these, they'll probably wait until the guy dies before they put Shawn's name back on his sneakers...
mean.gif

There never was a Kemp vs Payton debate in here...Kemp was clearly the most explosive and exciting player on the Sonics in the 90's. over the course of their respective careers however...their popularity over time definitely changed.

When it comes to Kemp, he fizzled and didn't win nothing, not even a MVP. He was the highlight reel of his team but nothing to show for it. One of my favorite players, Charles Barkley,trumped his career as a power forward,even with injuries.

When it comes to Kemp, he fizzled and didn't win nothing, not even a MVP. He was the highlight reel of his team but nothing to show for it. One of my favorite players, Charles Barkley,trumped his career as a power forward,even with injuries.
He wasn't better than Charles at all, that is for sure. but Kemps career fizzled because of drugs, not because of lack of skill

When it comes to Kemp, he fizzled and didn't win nothing, not even a MVP. He was the highlight reel of his team but nothing to show for it.
"nothing to show for it" is a pretty harsh assessment of Kemp's career

..... 6x All-Star, and 3x All-NBA second team, FIBA World Cup gold medalist

......from 1999-2003 he was one of the top ten highest paid players in the league

......had his own sneaker line with Reebok

......during the 94-96 period of his career, Kemp was one of the top ten players in the world

"not even a MVP".... Kemp played from 1989-2003. during that time the league MVPs were: Magic, Jordan, Barkley, Hakeem, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Shaq, Iverson, Duncan.... there's nothing embarrassing about losing the MVP trophy to that group.

Last edited:
"..from 1999-2002 he was one of the top ten highest paid players in the league"

I'll give you the other ones but that.....c'mon man LOL

"..from 1999-2002 he was one of the top ten highest paid players in the league"

I'll give you the other ones but that.....c'mon man LOL
not my opinion, IT"S A FACT... here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-paid_NBA_players_by_season

NBA Highest Paid Players By Season:  Shawn Kemp

2002-2003   #3    $21.5 mil

2001-2002  #10   $12.7 mil

2000-2001  #16   $11.7 mil 

1999-2000  #10   $10.7 mil

.......i'm a BIG Kemp fan and maybe TOO sensitive when i think he's getting bashed for what he didn't do instead of praised for what he DID accomplish. 
wink.gif

Last edited:
I think the best way to look at Kemp's career regardless of everything just posts is it sure DIDN'T end as strong as it started. Drugs, overweight, whatever it was...he had much more potential than he exhibited over the course of his ENTIRE career. Still one of the most electrifying players ever...but many "what ifs". Simple...

He wasn't better than Charles at all, that is for sure. but Kemps career fizzled because of drugs, not because of lack of skill
I am a huge CB fan, but I always liked the Reignman more, between 94 and 96 there was no one that can stop him, he was just a beast on the court, crashing everyone, but unfortunately he was one man and couldn't be at every point on the court, so the Sonics never got that title that they deserved. 

Not to mention that his kicks for me are the best Reebok models ever to e created!

Last edited:
I am a huge CB fan, but I always liked the Reignman more, between 94 and 96 there was no one that can stop him, he was just a beast on the court, crashing everyone, but unfortunately he was one man and couldn't be at every point on the court, so the Sonics never got that title that they deserved. 
Not to mention that his kicks for me are the best Reebok models ever to e created!
k2s definitely I think are reeboks best next to questions but I really don't like the k1s.they look too much like the British flag >~>

k2s definitely I think are reeboks best next to questions but I really don't like the k1s.they look too much like the British flag >~>
Kamikaze l is and always will be my all time favorite Reebok model, when it came out in 94, it was the most amazing and bold basketball shoe design out there and being tied with the Kemp name instantly made it my favorite. Everyone has their favorite, but that is mine. I like the Kamikaze ll, but is not even in my top 5 of Reebok models. The Question is not even in my top 10, I think it was a lazy design with a gimmicks and only became popular, because Reebok retro and re-retro it constantly and most people that don't know the legacy of Reebok and the models released between 1990 and 1995 and the players that rocked them, again a very bad marketing by Reebok. 

Kamikaze l is and always will be my all time favorite Reebok model, when it came out in 94, it was the most amazing and bold basketball shoe design out there and being tied with the Kemp name instantly made it my favorite. Everyone has their favorite, but that is mine. I like the Kamikaze ll, but is not even in my top 5 of Reebok models. The Question is not even in my top 10, I think it was a lazy design with a gimmicks and only became popular, because Reebok retro and re-retro it constantly and most people that don't know the legacy of Reebok and the models released between 1990 and 1995 and the players that rocked them, again a very bad marketing by Reebok. 
Oh yea, I mean if it wasn't for Iverson I prolly wouldn't like the questions that much.

I mean... come on lol

Last edited:

Agreed on this. The Kamikaze I design was extremely 'bold' for the year it dropped. Such a damn shame that Reebok did not retro the Sonics colourway correctly with solid green toecap.

Back
Top Bottom